New to PC Gaming. Tips?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for WuffleHouseKing
WuffleHouseKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 WuffleHouseKing
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I just have now been getting into PC gaming starting off with a new PC purchase of an HP HPE h8xt. The specs are Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.40GHz( not including turboboost), AMD 6570 1GB DDR3, 8GB of 1333 MHz RAM, 460W power supply, and 1.5TB 7200rpm Seagate HDD. I have gotten a few games through Steam( Team Fortress 2, Global Agenda, and Battlefield Bad Company 2). With the power of this computer I would expect to get at least 60fps, but never do. Global Agenda and Team Fortress 2 were both Free to play games so I download them just because. I had been gaming on Xbox 360 but I am getting kind of tired of the types of people that play it. My only major concern is that on Battlefield on medium settings I get a range of about 20-30fps max. 20fps to me is hardly even playable. I want to know if there is any reason that I am getting pretty low fps on my games.Any tips would be great. Thanks! Also I got an HP 2311x 23" 1080p LED monitor with my computer, so I play the games a 1080p.
Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

The HD 6570 is NOT a gaming video card. I'm guessing that the guys at the store where you bought this told you that it would work well... Unfortunately the truth is that you will need to buy a new video card.

For 1920x1080 I'd look at the HD 6850. Of course you could get a better video card but I suspect that your PSU has at most 1 PCI-E connector which really limits your options.

Limp_Laky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 Limp_Laky
Member since 2003 • 505 Posts
A very simple thing to do is to replace the gpu and the 6850 that was mentioned above is a great choice. If you want to replace your power supply (psu) as well you could throw in whatever you want. Replacing the psu is not very difficult and there is a possibility the warranty would still cover everything in the computer except the psu and new gpu, which is always nice.
GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

you've got a good system there, strange that they've put an under powered graphics in, deffinatley up grade that as sugeested above, your power supply seems a little under whelming aswell but it should run an ATI HD 6850 without a problem.

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#5 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts
Watch the power supply. Whatever that PC came from might have cut corners on the power supply. Be sure to make sure to have a adequate power supply and look to upgrade that video card.
WuffleHouseKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WuffleHouseKing
Thanks for the suggestions. We are trading in a lot of old electronics at Best Buy and getting around $200. I will probably be spending that $ on a GPU and using the rest of my money on a PSU. The sad thing is the 6570 was an upgrade from the card that was included (6450).
WuffleHouseKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WuffleHouseKing
Also is there any particular brand that you would recommend for the GPU, I see that there are many brands that make them with different heat sinks and fans on them.
GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

MSI are a good brand, they support overclocking and tend to be a little cheaper than the competition and if your getting a PSU upgrade go for a Corsair, they come with a 7 year warranty, so keep yout receipt.

I guess your from the U.S. so I can't recommend where to buy from but I'm sure there are plenty peeps here who can

Limp_Laky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 Limp_Laky
Member since 2003 • 505 Posts

Best Buy is overpriced when it comes to graphics cards, but ok when it comes to psus and they do have the GS series for corsair so like the GS600 would be fine for really anything. Microcenter and Newegg.com and possibly frys are the 3 main providers in the US for computer parts. I would look there to see what they have on sale. If you are looking at newegg, look at the 6870 there are a few of those that are about the same price as the 6850 and it is a step up in performance. If you are looking at Nvidia look for the GTX 560, there are two kinds of these the more expensive one is GTX 560 Ti but it does cost more and most people would say to move to AMD's 6950 1gb at that poin.t

Brands for AMD are Sapphire, HIS, XTX, Gigabyte, Asus. If you go Nvidia EVGA, MSI, Asus, Gigabyte. Those are really the "favorites" and you cant really go wrong witha ny of them, some have better fans and some have better warranty's but you will probably have to look into that on a card by card basis.

I know thats a lot of information, but hopefully it'll be of some help.

WuffleHouseKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WuffleHouseKing
Once again thanks for the help. I really just want this system to be able to play BF3 when it comes out on mostly maxed settings so I can awe at the Frostbite 2 engine. Here's the PSU I'll end up getting: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Corsair+-+Gaming+Series+700-Watt+ATX+CPU+Power+Supply/1073697.p?id=1218217267616&skuId=1073697, Then later on I'll get this GPU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948
LordsLoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LordsLoss
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts
Get your GPU on newegg or amazon. Best buy is always more expensive then those two everytime I check.