new to PC gaming and could use a hardware recommendation

This topic is locked from further discussion.

topher78714

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 topher78714
Member since 2006 • 672 Posts

Hello. I am VERY new to PC gaming (been a console gamer my entire life) but there are too many games out there that interest me now that I would love to play. My question is I know NOTHING about computer specs or what I should look for so I was hoping somebody could help me out. Below is what I am looking for:

- I am looking to replace my old laptop with a new computer tower that I can connect to my 55in HD TV (not a computer monitor) via HDMI.

- I don't need to be too powerful currently but would like it to be easily upgradable over the next few years (aka easy to find and replace parts for. All I've ever done is replace the HDD in my PS4, so I don't know much about how to rip apart computers)

- built in wireless (optional) not 100% necessary.

- I would like it to stay at or below $300....again I'm not looking for a powerhouse, just something to play South Park Stick of Truth, DOTA 2, LoL on medium settings.

I would appreciate any input, thank you!

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Forget it for a whole tower for 300$(if it does include OS)

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@topher78714 said:

Hello. I am VERY new to PC gaming (been a console gamer my entire life) but there are too many games out there that interest me now that I would love to play. My question is I know NOTHING about computer specs or what I should look for so I was hoping somebody could help me out. Below is what I am looking for:

- I am looking to replace my old laptop with a new computer tower that I can connect to my 55in HD TV (not a computer monitor) via HDMI.

- I don't need to be too powerful currently but would like it to be easily upgradable over the next few years (aka easy to find and replace parts for. All I've ever done is replace the HDD in my PS4, so I don't know much about how to rip apart computers)

- I would like it to stay at or below $300....again I'm not looking for a powerhouse, just something to play South Park Stick of Truth, DOTA 2, LoL on medium settings.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/34Ix8 enjoy

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts
@PredatorRules said:

@topher78714 said:

Damn good job on the budget!

Sparky04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sparky04
Member since 2006 • 3390 Posts

PredatorRules recommended a very good build. In the future you could also purchase a dedicated graphics card which will improve performance a lot. The one thing is that you need a copy of Windows and those usually run 100 dollars unless you can get some discounts. Also you'll have to figure out how to install it without a disc drive(that's not hard).

Innovazero2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Innovazero2000
Member since 2006 • 3159 Posts

Yeah that is a good build, AMD's APU's are super viable for low end gaming until a dedicated card can be bought.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

@topher78714 said:

Damn, you did it.

However TC I will suggest that you save up another 200-300 at least before buying a computer you want to use for gaming.

dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dbtbandit67
Member since 2012 • 415 Posts

@topher78714 said:

You won't be able to build any sort of custom build with new parts even of the lowest settings at $300 or below

If that is really your budget, buy older used rigs on Craigslist

There are still decent ones up that can still run games at minimum settings

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10  Edited By insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

@horgen123 said:

@PredatorRules said:

@topher78714 said:

Damn, you did it.

However TC I will suggest that you save up another 200-300 at least before buying a computer you want to use for gaming.

Yeah, at least $500. You want a better mobo without a doubt.. otherwise forget about upgrading later on..