New to PC Games. Need some advice

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xxDEUCExx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 xxDEUCExx
Member since 2009 • 51 Posts

The last game I played ona pc was Aliens vs Predator back in 1996. I like a good MMORPG but I swear if anyone suggests WoW Imight loose my cool. Other than that I am open to anything really. Good MMORPGs anyone?

S_Dragunov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 S_Dragunov
Member since 2009 • 91 Posts

My tip is stay away from those damn Korean MMo's they will take both your rightfully earned time and money

Drazule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Drazule
Member since 2007 • 8693 Posts

What's wrong with WoW? (hah all Ws in that sentence) It's a good game and there is a reason why 1100000 people play it. Other MMOs don't quite cut it.

xxDEUCExx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 xxDEUCExx

Just not a big fan of how cartoony it looks. Call me crazy but if I'm not a big fan of paying to play online anyways.

xxDEUCExx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 xxDEUCExx

bump

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
Try the free trial for EVE Online. It's got an extremely deep learning curve (the tutorial alone will take hours) but once you get into it, there's nothing like it. I had to play the trial twice before I finally got into the game but now it's up there with pre-CU Star Wars Galaxies and Ultima Online. A safer choice would be Lord of the Rings Online. If you've read the books, you must have wished at some point ''man, I wish I could adventure in Middle-Earth''. And now you can. Even if it isn't as popular as WoW, it's packed with players, has a more serious look to your liking and doesn't have massive hordes of fanatic fanboys. I personally prefer LOTRO over WoW thanks to the great atmosphere and a setting closer to my heart. But if you prefer PvP over PvE, LOTRO is a no-go. The game's all about PvE. You could also check out Age of Conan. I haven't played it since the launch as it was a huge disappointment then, but I've heard that it's a completely different game now. In the good way.
xxDEUCExx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 xxDEUCExx

Thanks for that. EVE sounds a little TOO deep for me. I don't have a whole lot of time to play games. lotR was never my interest. Conan doesn't quite do it for me either...I played DiabloII a long time ago and that seemed to be more along the lines of what I enjoyed. Thanks man.

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts
I personally recommend City of Heroes/Villains. It is a brilliant MMO :)
cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts
Champions comes out in September. You could wait for that. From what I've seen, it will be pretty good.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RK-Mara

Thanks for that. EVE sounds a little TOO deep for me. I don't have a whole lot of time to play games. lotR was never my interest. Conan doesn't quite do it for me either...I played DiabloII a long time ago and that seemed to be more along the lines of what I enjoyed. Thanks man.

xxDEUCExx
In that case Dungeon Runners is your game. EDIT: Forgot about the cartoony graphics. You should at least give the games a shot, it won't hurt.
S_Dragunov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 S_Dragunov
Member since 2009 • 91 Posts

Why do you want an MMO if you dont like any?

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
You don't want to pay to play and you don't have much time to play. Why on earth would you want an MMORPG then? Just go with Titan Quest or Sacred.
True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#14 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

xxDEUCExx

If you have ANY doubts about EVE you should probably pass, or at least do the steam 2 week trial first. I'd bet your doubts will be valid, because it has the worst combat system for a MMORPG, to the point where all the visuals have NOTHING to do with combat, you could play the game entirely through the menus without once looking at your ship. And not to mention the travel system is terribly 2-dimensional for a space game.

I'm not a big fan of MMORPG's but it sounds like Age of Conan would be your best bet, because it's sorta like wow but without the cartoony adolescence feel of it. Maybe you should play offline rpgs instead? That's what I've been doing, and generally they are alot better quality and give you a story instead of a mindless time-sink.

Hekynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Hekynn
Member since 2003 • 2164 Posts
Wait for Aion online way better than WoW.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RK-Mara
Wait for Aion online way better than WoW. Hekynn
How can you know if the game's not even out yet?
ferran82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 ferran82
Member since 2008 • 170 Posts

If you don't have much time and liked Diablo II, I would recommend Titan Quest, you can play with your buddies, it's fairly long and also a lot of fun if played with friends!

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 True_Sounds

If you don't have much time and liked Diablo II, I would recommend Titan Quest, you can play with your buddies, it's fairly long and also a lot of fun if played with friends!

ferran82

Or stick with Diablo II because it's so much better than that mediocre borefest of a replica.

k0r3aN_pR1d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 k0r3aN_pR1d3
Member since 2005 • 2148 Posts

Just play some korean mmo's. they are very fun and addicting, if not too addicting.

Bluemoon556

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bluemoon556
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

EVE is an excellent game. . . The only trouble is that it is really, well slow with a steep learning curve.

Guild Wars isn't bad. You don't need to pay-per-month, you don't need to spend a huge amount of time playing to get somewhere, and its not "cartoony" like WoW is.

Personally, I think WoW is excellent. Just takes forever to get out there.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 True_Sounds

EVE is an excellent game. . . The only trouble is that it is really, well slow with a steep learning curve.

Guild Wars isn't bad. You don't need to pay-per-month, you don't need to spend a huge amount of time playing to get somewhere, and its not "cartoony" like WoW is.

Personally, I think WoW is excellent. Just takes forever to get out there.

Bluemoon556

Saying you think a game is excellent without elaborating is pretty much a useless post, unless you're like really well known or something.

Exeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Exeron
Member since 2008 • 204 Posts

What's wrong with WoW? (hah all Ws in that sentence) It's a good game and there is a reason why 1100000 people play it. Other MMOs don't quite cut it.

Drazule

Yes there's a reason... it GRABS ON TO YOU and doesn't let go that easily. Seriously? Is it anything that doesn't cost in that game?

MrUnSavory1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MrUnSavory1
Member since 2005 • 777 Posts

WOW sucks, plain and simple. and just because there is a large number of people playing it does not show how good it is. it just shows how many people are still living in their parents basement with addiction issues.

Steameffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#24 Steameffekt
Member since 2008 • 4950 Posts

and just because there is a large number of people playing it does not show how good it is. it just shows how many people are still living in their parents basement with addiction issues.

MrUnSavory1

The large number of players actually does show how good it is. Why would all those people be playing it the first place? There addicted to the game. :?

Gamer-Geek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 Gamer-Geek
Member since 2009 • 357 Posts
Well Oblivion is always a nice place to start. :)
xxDEUCExx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 xxDEUCExx

I just heard about Diablo III. Anyone know when that will be released? I am playing through the EVE Trial. While it is visually stimulating the game itself is not a whole lot of fun. Surfing menus for hours is not exactly my style. I'm being really picky, I know. City of Heros / Villians looks promising though thanks for that suggestion.