New Rig won't turn on! Power supply tested and works

This topic is locked from further discussion.

snipeshot11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 snipeshot11
Member since 2007 • 1006 Posts

Just finished building my new rig. Bought a new power supply, motherboard, ram, and processor. Hooked it all up and turned it on...nothing. Tested my power supply and it works fine. Which means my problem lies elsewhere. Any suggestions? Please help..

whitey_rolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 whitey_rolls
Member since 2006 • 2547 Posts

Did you put the standoffs in the case prior to installing the motherboard?

Does the power light on the motherboard turn on?

snipeshot11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 snipeshot11

whitey_rolls

Yes, the standoffs are in. and No the light doesn't turn off..

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

[QUOTE="whitey_rolls"]

snipeshot11

It doesn't turn off? So the motherboard is getting power from the power supply? Hmm... Have you ensured the power button has been inserted onto the proper pins on the motherboard? Mine was really tricky it bridged across the two rows of pins which i thought wouldn't work but did.

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

[QUOTE="snipeshot11"]

[QUOTE="whitey_rolls"]

JohnF111

Have you ensured the power button has been inserted onto the proper pins on the motherboard? Mine was really tricky it bridged across the two rows of pins which i thought wouldn't work but did.

I suspect this as well. Disconnect the case wires and reconnect them. Make sure that everything is in the right place.

snipeshot11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 snipeshot11

[QUOTE="snipeshot11"]

[QUOTE="whitey_rolls"]

JohnF111

It doesn't turn off? So the motherboard is getting power from the power supply? Hmm... Have you ensured the power button has been inserted onto the proper pins on the motherboard? Mine was really tricky it bridged across the two rows of pins which i thought wouldn't work but did.

Sorry, no lights turn on. I tested the power supply using the paper clip trick and the fan turned on. When its plugged into the mobo, nothing turns on...not even the power supply fan

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
Redo all the headers, make sure you put them on right. If that doesn't work try switching the PWR and RESET headers so that the reset button on the case becomes the power button. Your case may have a short that's the causing the power button to not work. If you have another case you could also try hooking up its power button to your mobo and see if that works. I had this same problem happen before and I checked and replugged my headers like three times. Then switching them fixed the problem although oddly enough when I tried switching them back it still worked. Anyway, as long as you put the standoffs in and made sure to discharge yourself before working on the parts, you shouldn't have fried anything so don't freak out.
snipeshot11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 snipeshot11

Redo all the headers, make sure you put them on right. If that doesn't work try switching the PWR and RESET headers so that the reset button on the case becomes the power button. Your case may have a short that's the causing the power button to not work. If you have another case you could also try hooking up its power button to your mobo and see if that works. I had this same problem happen before and I checked and replugged my headers like three times. Then switching them fixed the problem although oddly enough when I tried switching them back it still worked. Anyway, as long as you put the standoffs in and made sure to discharge yourself before working on the parts, you shouldn't have fried anything so don't freak out.gameguy6700

Shouldn't the light on the mobo atleast turn on?

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]Redo all the headers, make sure you put them on right. If that doesn't work try switching the PWR and RESET headers so that the reset button on the case becomes the power button. Your case may have a short that's the causing the power button to not work. If you have another case you could also try hooking up its power button to your mobo and see if that works. I had this same problem happen before and I checked and replugged my headers like three times. Then switching them fixed the problem although oddly enough when I tried switching them back it still worked. Anyway, as long as you put the standoffs in and made sure to discharge yourself before working on the parts, you shouldn't have fried anything so don't freak out.snipeshot11

Shouldn't the light on the mobo atleast turn on?

If the mobo isn't receiving a signal when the power button is pressed then it's not going to tell the PSU to turn on and thus nothing will light up or happen.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

If you're confident that your wall power, power supply, and power button are working, it's probably a problem with your motherboard and it should be returned to wherever you bought it, or RMA'd whichever.

If you can, try testing the motherboard on another machine, might be dodgy RAM + No internal speaker = No PC or beeping noise.

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

Can you boot the PC with a screwdriver? (stick it onto the power pins)

Meat_Wad_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Meat_Wad_Fan
Member since 2002 • 9054 Posts

The motherboard has two power cables that should be going to it. The main one and the cpu fan.I know I'm stating the obvious but maybe your forgot the cpu power cable. Also maybe you accidently flipped the switch on the power supply? Seems like something very simple you may have over looked, of some faulty hardware.

snipeshot11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 snipeshot11

Turns out it was the power supply. I tested it using the paperclip and it worked but when plugged into the mobo it didn't. Anyways thanks guys.