New PC build - black screen, all fans etc are working

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by mark_c_128 (1520 posts) -

I have just assembled my first PC. I turn it on (motherboard led is on, the led's on my ram light up, my cpu cooler's fan starts up, my case fans are spinning, i can open my cd drive) however my monitor remains in standby (yes i have checked and it works)

I dont reach the bios.

I have tried reseating my gpu (4870) no joy, i have tried the other pcie slot again, no joy.

I have tried with one stick of ram and with two

Any help?

specs; asus p5q pro
corsair 650 TX
q6600
ati 4870
4gb ram

#2 Posted by jmnderson69 (1236 posts) -
Have you check the cpu power cable is connected?
Avatar image for ticktocktick201
#3 Posted by ticktocktick201 (999 posts) -
im also guessing the cpu power cable
#4 Posted by jmnderson69 (1236 posts) -
I made this silly mistake at one time as well haha.
#5 Posted by mark_c_128 (1520 posts) -

cpu power cable? I have seated the cpu correctly if that is what you mean? I have also plugged in the cpu fan (which starts up)

I have plugged in both 6 pin power cables to the graphics card)

#6 Posted by mark_c_128 (1520 posts) -

cpu power cable? I have seated the cpu correctly if that is what you mean? I have also plugged in the cpu fan (which starts up)

I have plugged in both 6 pin power cables to the graphics card

Avatar image for ticktocktick201
#7 Posted by ticktocktick201 (999 posts) -
no he doesnt mean that, he means to plug a 4-pin thing from the power supply into the area beside the cpu
#8 Posted by jmnderson69 (1236 posts) -

This is in?

http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/windows/2004/10/12/graphics/routeATX12Vcableawayfromfan.jpg

#9 Posted by mark_c_128 (1520 posts) -
I cant remember putting a cpu power cable in, i cant find it on my motherboard either.
#10 Posted by zaku101 (4641 posts) -

I cant remember putting a cpu power cable in, i cant find it on my motherboard either.mark_c_128

It's in the top left of the mother board, basically to the top left of the CPU. It's a 4pin power supply connection you'll see it on the motherboard.

#11 Posted by zaku101 (4641 posts) -
The little white piece with the four pin holes right next to the CPU.
#12 Posted by mark_c_128 (1520 posts) -
right that is now in (lol) however my problem is still the same. No bios or anything, just a monitor still on standby.
#13 Posted by zaku101 (4641 posts) -

[QUOTE="mark_c_128"]right that is now in (lol) however my problem is still the same. No bios or anything, just a monitor still on standby.[/QUOT]

Make sure everything is connected right, GPU, Ram and the processor should be ok now unless you made the mistake of putting it in upside down or forget to put some thermal grease on it. But give this a try, try putting one stick of ram in slot 3 only and see if it boots.

#14 Posted by mark_c_128 (1520 posts) -
The CPU definately has thermal grease applied. I tried changing the RAM around and that made no difference.
#15 Posted by mark_c_128 (1520 posts) -
just tried my old graphics card (7600GT) and it now boots up.
#17 Posted by zaku101 (4641 posts) -

just tried my old graphics card (7600GT) and it now boots up.mark_c_128

I guess it was a bad GPU.

#18 Posted by mark_c_128 (1520 posts) -
Is there any way to check that the card is indeed not working?
#19 Posted by WDT-BlackKat (1779 posts) -
Did you also plug in the card's 6 pin pci-e aux power plug?
#20 Posted by mark_c_128 (1520 posts) -
Both power cables (two 6 pins) were plugged into the card.
#21 Posted by mark_c_128 (1520 posts) -
My friend who had a similar problem said that he booted up and got windows installed etc using an old video card, and then installed the new card. I will try this later and bump the thread tomorrow with the results.
#22 Posted by Silencer781 (254 posts) -
I'm guessing your GPU isn't getting enough juice from the PSU. Read the PSU manual and find out what cords are needed to power it up. I know you have two 6-pin pci-e cords plugged in, but depending on the PSU, they may need to be on different 12v rails to power it up correctly. I had the the same problem with GTX 260 until I figured that out. Hope this helps.
#23 Posted by 2005wrxsti (279 posts) -

I'm guessing your GPU isn't getting enough juice from the PSU. Read the PSU manual and find out what cords are needed to power it up. I know you have two 6-pin pci-e cords plugged in, but depending on the PSU, they may need to be on different 12v rails to power it up correctly. I had the the same problem with GTX 260 until I figured that out. Hope this helps.Silencer781

Yeah...I think this guy is on target, sounds like a power problem. Usually if you don't have the plugs in the Nvidia cards will make a warning buzzing sound; I forgot to do it on a rebuild (I'm an idiot). But if you dont' hear that warning buzzer then it's probably not receiving the power it needs.

PSU stats?

#24 Posted by mark_c_128 (1520 posts) -
corsair 650w (TX series) both the PCIE 6 pin chords are plugged into the card. What do you mean about different rails. I cant change where the cables are on my power supply (it isnt modular)