New Job = new PC lay some suggestions on me.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TrooperManaic
Member since 2004 • 3863 Posts

Thinking about buying a new system to celebrate the new Job I just got. "I get paid well". So I'm thinking about going with a 6 core setup that can be upgrade-able later on but I have a few gripes. I don't know if I'm making a mistake by looking at these parts because perhaps new hardware is going to be released soon or maybe I'm just choosing stupid parts IDK anymore. Maybe you guys can help me out and make better decisions.

Here's my list of parts I want also im looking to keep the CPU at 4ghz so I hope I can do that with these parts.

Intel 8 core I7 CPU ~Need this because I do 3d as a hobby and the extra 2 cores could help compute vray.

MSI Motherboard MOBO ~Seems like a moderatly priced board with all the latest bells and whistles.

GSkill Ripjaws RAM ~Seems to be some of the cheapest DDR4 ram I can find thats over 8GB and has decent speed. I plan on picking up 2 kits of this.

GTX970 X2 GPU ~I never owned the latest and greatest. I feel like for once I want to own a powerful GPU. I chose this because of how many fans it has and the amount of DVI outputs. I do plan on SLIing later on.

CORSAIR power supply PSU ~Not much to say its 80 platinum certified and it has detachable cables.

Burner CD ~My buddy always rents blueray movies so why not.

Cooler HEATSINK ~Seems to have VERY good ratings of what I should expect. Afraid that it might block memory slots.

Coolermaster CASE ~Really like this case I wanna try it out.

I already have 4x brand new 240GB SSDs so I don't really need to buy hard drives. I plan on running them in RAID 0.

So far the price seems to be at $2,039. I'm tempted to just go out and get a gaming laptop but I am a performance enthusiast and this would make me happy. Should I go ahead and save up my pennies for this? I should have enough for it by the end on February. BTW I want to go 4K if I get the desktop so im keeping that in mind.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Get a better heatsink, everything is top-notch and a sub $100 heatsink, umm NO.

Look at Noctua if your going air-cooling.

TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TrooperManaic

I have a huge Zalman copper heat sink on my current CPU overclocked and it idles around 32c so id really like to get those temps around that on the I7. I like the luxury of never having to worry about it without going liquid cooling.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

Get a 5930K or 5960X. If you have a MicroCenter around the 5960X is $899 in store. Thats like $200 off on an amazing chip.

Also the 980 is top of the line right now, but something is about to drop soon, my body can feel it.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GTR12

@TrooperManaic:

Get this

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

My new GTX 970 should be in tomorrow I can see myself drooling

TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TrooperManaic
@GoldenElementXL said:

Get a 5930K or 5960X. If you have a MicroCenter around the 5960X is $899 in store. Thats like $200 off on an amazing chip.

Also the 980 is top of the line right now, but something is about to drop soon, my body can feel it.

I have one about an hour away from me ill defiantly consider it.

@GTR12 said:

@TrooperManaic:

Get this

I was thinking about it. I need a very good air cooler and this seems the best by looking at reviews.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@GTR12 said:

@TrooperManaic:

Get this

Actually this would be better for the price Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK

TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TrooperManaic

I find it kinda weird that I found this video and it has all 3 coolers suggested here in it

Loading Video...

Seems no matter what I choose I cant loose so now im just gonna do some comparisons in weight, build quality, and durability. I'm leaning on the R1 at the moment.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@GTR12 said:

@TrooperManaic:

Get this

best air cooler in the world

TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TrooperManaic

yippee forgot my tax return so that helps with the cost. I might get that 8 core after all. Can anyone sell me on that Noctua cooler? I really like that R1.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#12 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17790 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:

My body can feel it too. I am about to drop a deuce.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

If I were buying myself an $400 CPU I'd make sure I put it on an Asus board.

TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TrooperManaic

Does it have any advantages other then looks? I learned to stay far away from Asrock but I thought MSI was one of the high end gaming companies.

Avatar image for WolfgarTheQuiet
WolfgarTheQuiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By WolfgarTheQuiet
Member since 2010 • 483 Posts

@GTR12: Im in the same boat decision wise but different circumstances :)

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/pc-mac-discussion-1000004/new-pc-pre-built-31788596/#2

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GTR12

@TrooperManaic said:

yippee forgot my tax return so that helps with the cost. I might get that 8 core after all. Can anyone sell me on that Noctua cooler? I really like that R1.

Noctua might look ugly as anything but its a good all-around performer, its also very quiet, did you need it quiet?

Just realised your getting the normal R1, is there a reason not to get the R1 ultimate?

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

@TrooperManaic said:

Does it have any advantages other then looks? I learned to stay far away from Asrock but I thought MSI was one of the high end gaming companies.

TBH I haven't been following X99 boards, but generally MSI boards are of lower quality compared to Asus.

TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TrooperManaic

I have updated the case on the list. Also can someone recommend me a motherboard. I looked through the Asus boards but internally they are the same in my opinion.

My buddy gave me the suggestion to SLI 970s instead of the 980. Im not sure if I want to do this but its an idea, Seriously giving it thought. I want to play Skyrim at 4k with mods so I'm considering it.

@GTR12 said:
@TrooperManaic said:

Noctua might look ugly as anything but its a good all-around performer, its also very quiet, did you need it quiet?

Just realised your getting the normal R1, is there a reason not to get the R1 ultimate?

Isn't the only difference the color? I picked the white one to match the case I'm getting.

**Edit I decided to go with 2x 970s instead.