New card or new system?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by HurricaneHugo (40807 posts) -

Starting to fail the minimum requirements for newer games due to my video card. I was thinking of buying a new card (HD 7770) but then then my computer started slowing down a bit more and started thinking maybe it's just time to buy a new system all together. 

So, game-wise only, would it be better to upgrade my card and wait it out with my system or just to buy a new system now?

I really want to play Bioshock with some decent settings

Current system:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

3GB Ram (upgrading to 4GB)

ATI Radeon HD 5400 (512 MB)

PSU 375w 

#2 Posted by Marfoo (5998 posts) -

With that low wattage of a PSU you'll want something that doesn't require a PCIe power connector. HD 7750 is your best bet. With a 7750 you should be able to play Bioshock with decent settings. Your Q6600 isn't the worst processor but it's beginning to show it's age. I do think you can hold off on a new system though, as long as you're not looking for bleeding edge performance. A reformat does wonders for computers that have slowed down as well, might just be time to reformat.

#3 Posted by DJP3000 (293 posts) -

I recommend a whole new system. Everything in that system is just not good enough for current games at medium to max settings.  I suggest something with an i5-3570 at least.  I suggest at least 8GB DDR3-1600 memory and 4GB is just not enough for gaming anymore.  Also for the graphics card, I suggest don't get any less than a GTX 660 or Radeon 7870.

#4 Posted by Bikouchu35 (8213 posts) -

Budget?

Performance expectations?

Sold a q6700 for ~$80 last year, shouldn't be hard to sell.

Avatar image for rachelweisz2013
#5 Posted by rachelweisz2013 (25 posts) -
I recently purchase Levono G570 laptop from http://www.magiclamp.pk. In the laptop bios, There is no option of Boot from USB. Anyone can guide me how to make some changing in bios to select USBoption. Thank you
#6 Posted by Blistrax (1071 posts) -

I recently purchase Levono G570 laptop from http://www.magiclamp.pk. In the laptop bios, There is no option of Boot from USB. Anyone can guide me how to make some changing in bios to select USBoption. Thank yourachelweisz2013

You should have started a new thread. To boot from USB, you have to have the USB stick in the slot before you turn it on. Then it will appear in the BIOS.

#7 Posted by Cyberdot (3928 posts) -

Upgrade the GPU and PSU.

The CPU might be next, but I think it's ok for now.

#8 Posted by Marfoo (5998 posts) -

I recommend a whole new system. Everything in that system is just not good enough for current games at medium to max settings.  I suggest something with an i5-3570 at least.  I suggest at least 8GB DDR3-1600 memory and 4GB is just not enough for gaming anymore.  Also for the graphics card, I suggest don't get any less than a GTX 660 or Radeon 7870.

DJP3000
Hogwash. Q6600 can still handle quite a bit of gaming. Two of my buddies still game on their Q6600s at stock speeds and play modern games and medium to max settings.
Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
#9 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6776 posts) -

oc that q6600, it still has lots of life in it.  Also get a newer psu, something like a 600watt anec.  After that a video card like the 7770 will be a big jump.  Better yet, pick up a used video card like a 6850, or a geforve 460.  Those can be found for about $60 and trounce a 7770.

#10 Posted by godzillavskong (7904 posts) -

oc that q6600, it still has lots of life in it.  Also get a newer psu, something like a 600watt anec.  After that a video card like the 7770 will be a big jump.  Better yet, pick up a used video card like a 6850, or a geforve 460.  Those can be found for about $60 and trounce a 7770.

blaznwiipspman1
Links to where you can find a 6850 or gtx460 for $60? Just curious. I have twin sons, one uses a 6850, and the other a 460, and I'd like to grab another one for each of them to SLI/crossfire at that price.
#11 Posted by HurricaneHugo (40807 posts) -

I'll think I'll go ahead and buy a new video card (7750). Does anybody know where I can buy a PSU for my specific dell (XPS 420...hah)?

#12 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

I'll think I'll go ahead and buy a new video card (7750). Does anybody know where I can buy a PSU for my specific dell (XPS 420...hah)?

HurricaneHugo
If it's a normal sized case most PSUs should fit, you might want to get the tape measure out though.