Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Hi Folks-

Got some money and want to do a new build of sorts, specifically a micro-ATX build. Why? I think it'd be fun, and for better or worse I bought this big cube of a case and while it's really nice, I'm looking to downsize. I'm also looking to get a new, smaller desk and this would help a lot.

A. So, my first few questions are:

1. Any experience with micro-ATX builds? Seems like there's a lot of options out there.
  2. Anything to be wary of? Any of you think "no no no" when you hear the idea?

B. Now, while I'm doing this build and getting a new mobo (my current one is regular ATX), I was thinking I might upgrade my processor as well.

1. I've gone AMD for the past few builds (current CPU is AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, still pretty good right?), and haven't really paid much attention to what is out there as far as Intel goes. Any recommendations?
  2. My requirements are pretty much just gaming. My GPU will be an RTX 3080, and I'd stick with 32GB memory unless I find a deal on 64 GB (I know 64 GB is overkill but then again for how long would it be? lol

Thank you in advance for any advice or tips you provide.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mrbojangles25

Here is what I was thinking as far as the micro-ATX upgrade goes:

• Case - Fractal Design Pip Mini (link)
  • Motherboard (AMD) - MSI MAG B550M Mortar (link)
  • Cooler - Noctua NHD-15 (link)

In case it is not obvious by the parts I picked, I don't care about visibility or RGB. I want function over form. Quiet, no lights, etc. If everything is black, that's a bonus, but not necessary.

Now, if I upgrade to an Intel processor, I'm thinking the same case and cooler, but changing the following:

• Processor - Intel Core i5 13600K (link)
  • Motherboard - Asus Prime Z790M (link)
  • Memory - 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaw 3600 (link)

----------------

Follow up questions:

1. I just read about DDR5 memory; is it worth it? I didn't see it was supported by my mobo I chose, but I'm just wondering if it's backwards compatible.

2. Likewise, is it better to have 32GB DDR5 or 64 GB DDR4? I heard the jury is still out as DDR5 is relatively new.

Thanks again!

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mrbojangles25

@girlusocrazy said:

@mrbojangles25: Yes but what floppy drive and optical drive are you using? I recommend a Goldstar 12X IDE drive because it can rip a CD in about 6 minutes and reads CD-Rs and CD-RWs very well. For the floppy drive I recommend a Ultrabay 200 SuperDisk LS-240. For RAM, future proof is best.

Looks like your build is still missing an OS. I'd recommend SteamOS, it's got a TV mode which is great.

Thanks for the advice!

FYI, not looking to install any optical/disk drives, and the OS will be Win 10 (or 11 if they let me upgrade lol).

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Need DDR5 RAM for that mobo.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mrbojangles25

@horgen said:

Ahh yeah, I see that now.

Is it worth it? DDR5 much better than DDR4, and would 32GB DDR5 be better than 64GB DDR4? Was doing some reading about it and I guess DDR5 has two channels or something and is better used by processors with a lot of cores, but anything past that was beyond my technical understanding to really comprehend.

I know 64GB of DDR4 is overkill, but I have a bit of money to spend.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 horgen  Moderator

@mrbojangles25 said:
@horgen said:

Ahh yeah, I see that now.

Is it worth it? DDR5 much better than DDR4, and would 32GB DDR5 be better than 64GB DDR4? Was doing some reading about it and I guess DDR5 has two channels or something and is better used by processors with a lot of cores, but anything past that was beyond my technical understanding to really comprehend.

I know 64GB of DDR4 is overkill, but I have a bit of money to spend.

Ddr5 has higher bandwidth and uses less power I think.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

Current AMD mobos only take DDR5 ram. Intel is still compatible with DDR4 and 5 for now. I can't vouch how much better DDR5 is, just something to consider in your decision.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

I love the case. 7800X3D is the way to go for games, judging by the benchmarks. AM4 is at the end of the road, and with Intel motherboards you're always at the end of the road XD. 32GB RAM is plenty.

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1557 Posts

@mrbojangles25:

If you want more than 32gb of ram 2 x 24 ddr5 ram kits are coming out. Probably going to be a few months before release though.

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 locus-solus
@PfizersaurusRex said:

I love the case. 7800X3D is the way to go for games, judging by the benchmarks. AM4 is at the end of the road, and with Intel motherboards you're always at the end of the road XD. 32GB RAM is plenty.

Just picked up a 7800x3d at Micro Center this morning. They had 25+ of them and about 12 people in line before store opened.

Going to be another week before cpu cooler, thermal paste, psu, case, ram arrives in the mail.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 horgen  Moderator

@locus-solus said:

@mrbojangles25:

If you want more than 32gb of ram 2 x 24 ddr5 ram kits are coming out. Probably going to be a few months before release though.

Corsair is making those, right?

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 locus-solus

@horgen said:
@locus-solus said:

@mrbojangles25:

Corsair is making those, right?

Probably all the major brand. ASUS has a beta bios out for high density ram kits. I would probably just go with 32gb of ram. By the time games start benefitting from having more than 32gb, third gen drr5 might be out with speeds up to 17,600mhz. just be speeding more money in the long run future proofing here.