New ATI 8.10 drivers.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ThaMahstah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ThaMahstah
Member since 2008 • 110 Posts
To install, do I just download and let the thing do its work? Or do I have to remove my old drivers? My current drivers are 8.9.
wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 wklzip
Member since 2005 • 13925 Posts

Remove the old ones and then install the new ones to be safe.

ThaMahstah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ThaMahstah
Member since 2008 • 110 Posts
But I heard that in the transition from 8.8 to 8.9 if you uninstalled old drivers first it'd cause errors.
wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 wklzip
Member since 2005 • 13925 Posts

But I heard that in the transition from 8.8 to 8.9 if you uninstalled old drivers first it'd cause errors.ThaMahstah

Make a System Restore backup then.

bungie93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bungie93
Member since 2008 • 2445 Posts
Use the Catalyst Uninstall Utility to remove the old drivers then install the new ones.
bitmap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bitmap
Member since 2003 • 1427 Posts

I would highly suggest the following protocol (it may be overkill but then I've also avoided a lot of driver related issues this way):

Download and install DriverCleanerPro (it's a good freeware program)

Now, uninstall your current driver and reboot into windows Safe Mode

Once in Safe Mode, run Driver Cleaner and select multiple filters thereby cleaning all things ATI out of the registry.

Reboot in normal Windows and install the new driver.

The benefit to running Driver Cleaner is that it clears the registry of all the previous driver so that there is no overlap from old to new. I've avoided nasty little issues that have popped up on other peoples computers by using this tried and true method.

bungie93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bungie93
Member since 2008 • 2445 Posts

I would highly suggest the following protocol (it may be overkill but then I've also avoided a lot of driver related issues this way):

Download and install DriverCleanerPro (it's a good freeware program)

Now, uninstall your current driver and reboot into windows Safe Mode

Once in Safe Mode, run Driver Cleaner and select multiple filters thereby cleaning all things ATI out of the registry.

Reboot in normal Windows and install the new driver.

The benefit to running Driver Cleaner is that it clears the registry of all the previous driver so that there is no overlap from old to new. I've avoided nasty little issues that have popped up on other peoples computers by using this tried and true method.

bitmap

I had problems when I tried to do that on my computer. I couldn't get CCC to load and I ended up having to reinstall Microsoft .Net framework. If you were switching from ATI to Nvdia, or vice versa, then I would recommend that procedure, but if you are just updating a driver, it's otiose.