new ATI 11.11 catalyst driver "killed" most of my newer games ...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CHANCESUNDANCE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CHANCESUNDANCE
Member since 2006 • 805 Posts

After i installed the latest ati catalyst driver (11.11) i experienced many problems with newer games.

Skyrim - Huge framerate drops

Rage - fps dropped to slideshow like in catalyst 11.9

Modern Warfare 3- huge framerate drops

i just reinstalled old 11.10 again and everything was smooth again.

anyone else having problems with ATI latest driver ?

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Only new game I've been playing is Skyrim and I didn't notice a difference between 11.10 and 11.11. However, ATI didn't list Skyrim is the patch notes so I guess I shouldn't have expected anything different. I've recently turned down to high settings from ultra and have received better performance, but still not where I'd like it to be. Game still looks great, but I feel my rig isn't being used to capacity whether that issue is with Bethesda, ATI or my own expectations. :P

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts

Only new game I've been playing is Skyrim and I didn't notice a difference between 11.10 and 11.11. However, ATI didn't list Skyrim is the patch notes so I guess I shouldn't have expected anything different. I've recently turned down to high settings from ultra and have received better performance, but still not where I'd like it to be. Game still looks great, but I feel my rig isn't being used to capacity whether that issue is with Bethesda, ATI or my own expectations. :P

Cwagmire21
Your graphics card is a massive bottleneck. I have the same system as you except I have a 6950 instead, and I play no problem.
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
[QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

lettuceman44
Your graphics card is a massive bottleneck. I have the same system as you except I have a 6950 instead, and I play no problem.

A massive bottleneck is like a Pentium 4 with a GTX 580...A 6870 with an i5 is hardly a massive bottleneck, especially in Skyrim...
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

[QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

lettuceman44

Massive? 1 GB is in the recommended specs :lol:

Not saying that recommended means it should run ultra flawlessly, but your statement seems pretty hyperbolic.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

I like ATi but man have they been screwing up on the drivers lately.

Lucky for me I went Nvidia this time around.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

[QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

lettuceman44

Even if the GPU was a bottleneck(which it isn't, it isn't really bad thing anyway) the last thing you want is your CPU holding back your GPU.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

They really need to improve their drivers and their software suite. I'm really disappointed with the series of issues unique to ATI/AMD cards the last few months. From what i've seen there is nothing really worthy in this update, only minor stuff.

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lettuceman44

[QUOTE="lettuceman44"][QUOTE="Cwagmire21"] Is this serious.........he has a 2500k, one of the best cpu's money can buy.[QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

[QUOTE="lettuceman44"][QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

Jebus213

Massive? 1 GB is in the recommended specs :lol:

Not saying that recommended means it should run ultra flawlessly, but your statement seems pretty hyperbolic.

Uh you do realize that VRAM doesn't mean everything right....now I may have exaggerated with "massive" bottleneck, but your gpu is the lowest denominator in your system.

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lettuceman44

[QUOTE="lettuceman44"][QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

Jebus213

Even if the GPU was a bottleneck(which it isn't, it isn't really bad thing anyway) the last thing you want is your CPU holding back your GPU.

Dude, he has one of the best cpus money can buy.......his cpu isn't gonna be holding anything back for a long while.
Selkc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Selkc
Member since 2011 • 203 Posts

Flash videos look prettier now. It hasn't changed the gameplay for DC Universe at all.

K4ss3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 K4ss3r
Member since 2004 • 8697 Posts
[QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

lettuceman44

See, the odd thing is, I'm running on a rig much like yours then, but I'm experiencing some slow-downs inside caverns and houses (Guessing it's the shadows, but I'm not sure)..
oddballrulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 oddballrulez
Member since 2004 • 1642 Posts
I have no idea why everyone has so many problems with Skyrim; I'm running it all on Ultra (aside from the settings that only allow high obviously :P), all sliders up to the max, max AF and 4x AA at 1680*1050 with a VERY comfortable framerate (I would guess between 40-60, no choppiness what so ever), and my PC is arguably slower than many found around here. HD 5850 1GB i5 2500k @ 4.1GHz 4GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM My guess is shoddy driver work. Battlefield 3 runs all on Ultra for me quite comfortably (with only the post processed AA stuff on) and runs pretty sweet for 20 odd minutes, though followed by annoying stutters and pauses, then followed by 2 minute loading times -.-
CHANCESUNDANCE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CHANCESUNDANCE
Member since 2006 • 805 Posts

I have no idea why everyone has so many problems with Skyrim; I'm running it all on Ultra (aside from the settings that only allow high obviously :P), all sliders up to the max, max AF and 4x AA at 1680*1050 with a VERY comfortable framerate (I would guess between 40-60, no choppiness what so ever), and my PC is arguably slower than many found around here. HD 5850 1GB i5 2500k @ 4.1GHz 4GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM My guess is shoddy driver work. Battlefield 3 runs all on Ultra for me quite comfortably (with only the post processed AA stuff on) and runs pretty sweet for 20 odd minutes, though followed by annoying stutters and pauses, then followed by 2 minute loading times -.-oddballrulez

lol , we have ...or at least I have NO problems at all running Skyrim on ultra.

Only problem I have is with the latest ati catylist 11.11.

after deinstalling 11.10 and installing 11.11 nearly every game went downhill.

Rage became unplayable (slideshow of 3fps?).

nah , i reverted back to 11.10 and everythingis buttersmooth again.

* waiting for 11.12 *