#1 Posted by DudeBroPartyYo (1216 posts) -

Been using Avast for a while but looking for a change. Total AV seems to be popping on top of most lists but still interested in your opinions and what you are using.

#2 Posted by PredatorRules (12356 posts) -

@dudebropartyyo: No brainer to get the best paid AV like Norton, ESET, Kaspersky.

#5 Posted by DudeBroPartyYo (1216 posts) -

Been away with work. Yeah i dont use the free version of Avast have the paid version, sticking to it for the moment. They just bombard you with all these extras that i feel should be a part of any AV package

#6 Edited by mrbojangles25 (43014 posts) -

I have Avira and it was fine for a while, but the pop-ups are annoyed.

Thinking of going for a paid option, am also curious.

@PredatorRules said:

@dudebropartyyo: No brainer to get the best paid AV like Norton, ESET, Kaspersky.

Is Norton paid one of the best?

I'm assuming it's a yearly renewal as well? Which is fine, just curious.

#7 Posted by PredatorRules (12356 posts) -
@mrbojangles25 said:

I have Avira and it was fine for a while, but the pop-ups are annoyed.

Thinking of going for a paid option, am also curious.

@PredatorRules said:

Is Norton paid one of the best?

I'm assuming it's a yearly renewal as well? Which is fine, just curious.

Yearly renewal - sort off, you can buy a code for 1 year without auto renewal.

I like ESET, they're giving support in my country in my native language, update their db 3 times a day.

Norton and Kasperski are good choices as well.

#8 Edited by Yams1980 (3214 posts) -

Stay away from Kaspersky. The company has connections to the Russian government intelligence agency. Its even been banned in many countries including the USA.

If you want to have a keylogger and backdoor installed in your pc, then by all means, run it. I assume the people suggesting it are either ignorant or Russian agents.

You should basically just use basic AV like Microsoft defender. Then do a few scans a month with Malwarebytes to cover anything left over.... but I wouldnt run Malwarebytes in realtime, its a hog and isn't needed unless your in the shadiest places imaginable. Also all antiviruses log website traffic, so your privacy is being invaded while using them.

But if you do run Malwarebytes in realtime, make sure to close it when running a game, i find even when you make directory exceptions it'll sometimes still cause scanning to files being accessed and cause some weird slowdowns that can easily be avoided by closing it while gaming.

#9 Posted by Alucrd2009 (745 posts) -

using webroot for like a year. its good and you can find it in other websites for good prices.

#10 Posted by dmb34 (1094 posts) -

I use windows defender and then malwarebytes in worst case , thats it

#11 Edited by troymius (3 posts) -

@dudebropartyyo: Is gaming on Linux still a problem?

#12 Posted by amarcais53 (3 posts) -

Is gaming on Linux still a problem

#13 Posted by DudeBroPartyYo (1216 posts) -

@amarcais53: Not sure, i have W10

#14 Posted by DudeBroPartyYo (1216 posts) -

@Yams1980 Ferrari must have good Russian connections haha. Jokes aside, i dont trust any software i install when it comes to information collecting. I mean American government does the same to most other countries so dont see why Russians doing it is now a big deal. Besides maybe other AV providers install keyloggers and backdoors or what not in different ways harder to detect. But anyways, funny i never heard that anywhere else :)