never understood why some people upgrade every two years

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#51 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@gunmaster55555 said:

You don't get my point.

Most games don't require the latest $1000 video card to run at high settings. PC Gaming and PC technology is not like it used to be 20 years ago where you constantly had to upgrade to keep up with the latest games.

These days you can buy a video card which is not the latest and greatest, it will run every game out there fine and last you easily 3 years before you need a new one.

Every time I do a new build a spend a bit more just to be future proof, but that PC always finishes lasting me 3-4 years before I need to touch it again.

If you want to play at max graphics of every game you play you have to upgrade every 2 years at most, good luck maxing games at 1920 by 1200 with a 4 year old graphics card. People like me like to be able to max games with no fps issues. That's why I upgrade every 2-3 years.

That's fine if you want a totally maxed game, but most of the time it looks the same as a game on nearly max.

I play games with AA and AF on 2x or 4x and most of the time it looks the same as if you had it on 16x, minus the performance dips.

Like I said before, just intelligent gaming.

Some people just like to totally max games and can tell the difference, so what?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@way2funny said:

@FelipeInside said:

@gunmaster55555 said:

You don't get my point.

Most games don't require the latest $1000 video card to run at high settings. PC Gaming and PC technology is not like it used to be 20 years ago where you constantly had to upgrade to keep up with the latest games.

These days you can buy a video card which is not the latest and greatest, it will run every game out there fine and last you easily 3 years before you need a new one.

Every time I do a new build a spend a bit more just to be future proof, but that PC always finishes lasting me 3-4 years before I need to touch it again.

If you want to play at max graphics of every game you play you have to upgrade every 2 years at most, good luck maxing games at 1920 by 1200 with a 4 year old graphics card. People like me like to be able to max games with no fps issues. That's why I upgrade every 2-3 years.

That's fine if you want a totally maxed game, but most of the time it looks the same as a game on nearly max.

I play games with AA and AF on 2x or 4x and most of the time it looks the same as if you had it on 16x, minus the performance dips.

Like I said before, just intelligent gaming.

Some people just like to totally max games and can tell the difference, so what?

So what what? I said there is nothing wrong with that, just that with most games you don't need the latest card to be able to do that. And very few games you can tell the difference.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

@overhead_drums said:

@overhead_drums said:

Lets put this down to personal preference shall we?

Good Idea!

Quoting yourself and agreeing with yourself.

Lol well done

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@Geminon said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@Geminon: A GTX 760 costs £200 and a GTX 770 costs £240.

Where are you getting your prices from.

A gtx 780 costs £360.

Really bad with numbers.

apparently you havent heard of this thing called an exchange rate.

in the USA, GTX 760 is 200 dollars, GTX 770 is 400 dollars

Again with the miss information!

• GTX 760 - $250
  • GTX 770 - $330

Apparently you don't check prices or benchmarks.

again with you being a dumbass!

GTX 770

GTX 760

nobody is buying the 2gb version of the 770.... why would you? for like 60 more dollars you can get the 4gb....

first you cant even do math and claim to... then you cant even read? how do you get by?

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

@mastershake575 said:

@Geminon said:

you get confused easily apparently...

and i wasnt wrong... about anything. your comparison was a GTX 680 to a GTX 780ti... which is a 52% increase. mine was a GTX 760 to a GTX 780 ti... which is around a 65% increase. hard to understand apparently? im not sure why.

numbers dont lie, and grey elfs math was the stupidest shit i have ever seen.

Your the one whose confused.

You where clearly wrong (20% is not even close). The average comparison shows 60-65% at 1080/1200p and 65-70% at 1440/1600p. That's pretty good and CLEARLY not 20% (GTX 690 performance on a single card is great).

Numbers don't lie ? (you don't even know the card prices in your OWN country). The cheapest GTX 760 in the US is $250 and the third party 770s got a price drop a month ago (there like $320-330).

You called out a slightly exaggerated quote and then made a crazy statement (20% increase which is a joke). We said that its not that huge of an exaggeration (double the frame statement) and that it technically equals 2x680s. I

Instead of admitting that YOU where the one who was exaggerating like crazy, you processed to talk about prices that aren't even correct...... (WTF ?)

20% isnt a joke.. obviously... take a look at grey elfs own charts. a GTX 760 compared to a GTX 770. the 770 is 400.... as i have provided ample proof. the GTX 760 is in the 200 range, not 250... i should know, i just bought 2 like 2 weeks ago. prices do fluctuate, but it is closer to 200 more often then it is closer to 250. the performance difference is 20-23%....

thanks for trying to sound smart though. you record doesnt support your attitude.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

@Geminon said:

:

20% isnt a joke.. obviously... take a look at grey elfs own charts. a GTX 760 compared to a GTX 770. the 770 is 400.... as i have provided ample proof. the GTX 760 is in the 200 range, not 250... i should know, i just bought 2 like 2 weeks ago. prices do fluctuate, but it is closer to 200 more often then it is closer to 250. the performance difference is 20-23%....

thanks for trying to sound smart though. you record doesnt support your attitude.

The absolute cheapest 760 you could find is closer to $250 than its is $200 and your claiming $200 as the standard..... (what ?). Almost every 760 on amazon is $249-259 and the cheapest one is still $240 after shipping.... ($250 is the standard price of a GTX 760).

The GTX 770 is $330. Your logic of "buh buh I don't believe anyone buys the 2GB version" is a complete joke (there still debate as to whether the 770 even has enough bandwidth to utilize 4GB). Not only that but you could use the whole "buh buh its only $60" logic on the GTX 760 4GB also (you can't pick and choice).

Almost every benchmark (anandtech/techpowerup/guru3d....ect) consistently shows the third party 780ti as 60-70% more frames than the GTX 680 and SLI 760 can't even beat a single third party 780ti......

I have absolutely no idea what reviews your reading that shows the 780ti as a 20% performance increase.......

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#57 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

I upgraded from a Geforce GTX 570 to a GTX 680 last June and according to the benchmark list I gained a 60% performance increase. My old card is now a backup incase the GTX 680 dies and still have something decent to run my video games.

overhead_drums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By overhead_drums
Member since 2010 • 338 Posts

@acanofcoke said:

@overhead_drums said:

@overhead_drums said:

Lets put this down to personal preference shall we?

Good Idea!

Quoting yourself and agreeing with yourself.

Lol well done

Just trying to lighten the mood a bit. This thread very arguey…(made up word)

stoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#59 stoods
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I had a computer for 7 years that died on me back early November. It was a £350 purchase by upgraded the graphics card about 2 years after. Could play any game as long as its optimization wasn't terrible (e.g. ARMA 2). Could still play any game with minimum requirements higher than my spec. Bought a new PC for £600 and hopefully this will last me another 7 years :D. Some people just like maintaining the best of the best (or close to it), whereas others like me prefer the cheaper option of 'as long as it does the job'.

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#60 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts

I've had my current rig for nearly 3 years now, though I went with the AMD Phenom II X4 955 and as you can imagine, I am desperate to upgrade it. At the time, I could have just waited for Sandy Bridge which came out only a few months after I built my system.

In terms of my GPU, I think my GTX 570 should hold out for at least untill the summer

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

My GTX 560 Ti is getting long in the tooth in 1080p. But, I simply switched gaming from my primary (24" 1080p TV) display to the smaller 19" (1440x900) Samsung monitor. The 560 Ti is doing fine at that res. So, I don't really feel like buying a new video card right now.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 FelipeInside

@jimmy_russell said:

I upgrade my video card every 6 months. Sometimes I buy a whole new computer if a new hardware architecture is released.

Can I ask what for?

What resolution do you play at?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

Me neither. I upgrade every 6 months or so.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

@Geminon said:

again with you being a dumbass!

GTX 770

GTX 760

nobody is buying the 2gb version of the 770.... why would you? for like 60 more dollars you can get the 4gb....

first you cant even do math and claim to... then you cant even read? how do you get by?

Ha what? The 2GB version is much more popular.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#66 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I upgrade every 5 years at most. Get high end and it becomes pretty low end in 5 years.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By FelipeInside

@Postmortem123 said:

Upgrade what? the GPU or the whole computer?

As I asked the other guy, what for?

What res are you playing at?

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@Postmortem123 said:

He could just mean that he buys something hardware related for his PC.

I know I buy things 3-4 times a year for my PC. A new mouse... Keyboard... Speakers... Webcam... Controller... HDD... RAM. The list is endless.

I plan on getting a 2TB HDD for storage soon. That's upgrade.

It's a hobby.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By FelipeInside

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@FelipeInside said:

@Postmortem123 said:

I know I buy things 3-4 times a year for my PC. A new mouse... Keyboard... Speakers... Webcam... Controller... HDD... RAM. The list is endless.

It's a hobby.

I guess so. Very rarely would I buy more than one thing for my PC in a year.

I normally do a LOT of research before purchasing something because then it lasts me for years before I need to change it.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

I used to upgrade frequently, but lately my performance at 1080p leaves nothing to be desired. I'm using a 670 GTX with the core at 1370MHz (pretty nice OC for that card on air and stock volts) and while I could buy a second, I feel a single over clocked is more optimal. Some people see fps as the only metric of quality, for me noise, heat, and power consumption are equally important when choosing parts.

I'm more into collecting and restoring vintage electronics (games, radios, random devices) these days, more thrilling and challenging than adding parts to a shopping cart (something anyone can do really, somewhat of a boring hobby if all you need is a debit card with sufficient funds lol).

That being said, I'm sure when I start dropping below 60 fps on my main games ill get the itch again and be right back on newegg (such an exciting hobby!). :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@FelipeInside said:

@Postmortem123 said:

It's a hobby.

Yeah anything like that I consider an upgrade.

Though I recently upgraded to a 7990 and 4770k. I'm looking for a 144Hz screen also.

I have a 780 out for step-up, so I'll be getting a 780Ti back from Evga soon. Not sure which I'll keep yet.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#72 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Upgrading and building PC's for me is a hobby and I enjoy it (having twin girls kind of put the dampers on it though ;) ). I don't question how much money people put into the sound system in their car or spend on a new stamp etc.

As far as I'm concerned it needs no more justification than that.

(I've just ordered a new CPU, motherboard, RAM and Cooler :) )

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#73  Edited By nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

i think most people upgrade whenever they start getting problems maxing out their games... i don't think a set '2 year' time period means anything... just upgrade when you feel you need to... or when ur wallet is getting to heavy with coin.

meubanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#74  Edited By meubanks
Member since 2005 • 27 Posts

I'm not sure why anyone would care when or under what conditions someone else upgrades. It's their money, and they can do what they want with it. All economic activity is good, it keeps people employed, and money moving through the economy. As long as they aren't starving their family to buy a GPU, What difference does it make? I'm not being disrespectful toward anyone else's opinion. These threads pop up a lot and they give me a bit of a chuckle. I just wonder why it matters.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#75 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

They have the money to spend, and they feel like it. That's really all there is to it. You're overthinking this by a whole lot.

gem98088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 gem98088
Member since 2011 • 542 Posts
@endlessinfinity said:

I notice some claim they upgrade their GPU every two years but if your willing to dish out that much money in that amount of time than might as well buy the best card you can afford and not have to. Many new cards released aren't even that much better than the older ones so it seems like a waste of money to me. Even the lower ends card last longer than two years its not like they really have to. I never really got why others feel the need to upgrade in such a short period of time. There enthusiasts of course seems a bit silly if your coughing up money for a GPU that is 20% better than the one in your PC.

Heck.. How do you feel about people who update their Car every year or two?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 FelipeInside

@meubanks said:

I'm not sure why anyone would care when or under what conditions someone else upgrades. It's their money, and they can do what they want with it. All economic activity is good, it keeps people employed, and money moving through the economy. As long as they aren't starving their family to buy a GPU, What difference does it make? I'm not being disrespectful toward anyone else's opinion. These threads pop up a lot and they give me a bit of a chuckle. I just wonder why it matters.

It doesn't make a difference to me, I was just wondering why someone upgrades when they don't have to. I guess it's like people say, a hobby.

meubanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#78 meubanks
Member since 2005 • 27 Posts

@FelipeInside: I wasn't being confrontational. I respect peoples opinions. I just think it's funny because people tend to get fired up in some of these threads. I was in no way attacking you or your posts. I hope I wasn't received that way.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By FelipeInside

@meubanks said:

@FelipeInside: I wasn't being confrontational. I respect peoples opinions. I just think it's funny because people tend to get fired up in some of these threads. I was in no way attacking you or your posts. I hope I wasn't received that way.

No no, and I didn't take it as an attack. I was just explaining my post because for me I wanted to know out of curiosity. I couldn't care less where people spend their money.

touchscreenpad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#80 touchscreenpad
Member since 2013 • 220 Posts

They upgrade because they can. I can't...I upgraded/overhauled my PC after 8 years and it's been almost 3 years since.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#81  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

I probably do a partial upgrade every 2 years, replacing some parts where i can (usually more feasible when I was using AMD mobos as they sustained their CPU sockets).

I probably build a new machine from scratch every 5 years or so.

maddogmark25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#82 maddogmark25
Member since 2003 • 3632 Posts

People upgrade because this is America, and if you want to blow 500 bucks on a new graphics card, you are totally free to do so.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By FelipeInside

The upgrade thing really is more of a hobby these days than a necessity.

Back 15-20 years ago you really needed to upgrade constantly because of how games evolved so rapidly and how weak hardware was. Today though you spend a bit more on a PC and it easily lasts you 3-4 years without needing to touch it.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
@maddogmark25 said:

People upgrade because this is America, and if you want to blow 500 bucks on a new graphics card, you are totally free to do so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qEtygP1Qfjk

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Jebus213
@FelipeInside said:

Yeah, for enthusiasts.

Waiting 4 years to upgrade? Is that a joke? Hell, If you're willing to play BF3 or 4 with a 5870 and a Phenom II x4 965(or the Nvidia and Intel equivalent) you might as well use a rock.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By FelipeInside

@Jebus213 said:
@FelipeInside said:

Yeah, for enthusiasts.

Waiting 4 years to upgrade? Is that a joke? Hell, If you're willing to play BF3 or 4 with a 5870 and a Phenom II x4 965(or the Nvidia and Intel equivalent) you might as well use a rock.

I've always upgraded only every 3 to 4 years and have been able to play all the games on max or high.

I only upgrade when I find I need to bring most games down to medium settings.

Importz2k1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Importz2k1
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Who cares so long as you have the money and that's what you want to spend on it! I just purchased a 780Ti, yes it was expensive, it replaced 2 6950's in crossfire and all I can say is "holy S***" what a difference.

Am I happy with my purchase? Absolutely

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Jebus213

@FelipeInside said:

I've always upgraded only every 3 to 4 years and have been able to play all the games on max or high.

At like 15-30FPS right?

maddogmark25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#89  Edited By maddogmark25
Member since 2003 • 3632 Posts

@Jebus213 said:
@maddogmark25 said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qEtygP1Qfjk

:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DtuvfvMaWQ&noredirect=1

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 FelipeInside

@Jebus213 said:

@FelipeInside said:

At like 15-30FPS right?

At like smooth.

I don't care about numbers as long as the game runs smooth.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

I find it funny people need to buy a new iphone or ipad every year..Ive had my g3 for two years now I might upgrade to the g5 next year..I don't need to upgrade every yr like some..Dont even own a ipad yet although I will in a few years...Just to keep a tablet for going places..

Its the same for your pc..Ill upgrade every 5 years the core of my rig..The video card every two years..Atm I have a 670 I don't feel the need to upgrade it yet..Felipe talked me into this card last year an It still rocks..Even got me a deal 200 bucks couldn't pass that up tanks bud lol..

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By FelipeInside

@Gladestone1 said:

I find it funny people need to buy a new iphone or ipad every year..Ive had my g3 for two years now I might upgrade to the g5 next year..I don't need to upgrade every yr like some..Dont even own a ipad yet although I will in a few years...Just to keep a tablet for going places..

Its the same for your pc..Ill upgrade every 5 years the core of my rig..The video card every two years..Atm I have a 670 I don't feel the need to upgrade it yet..Felipe talked me into this card last year an It still rocks..Even got me a deal 200 bucks couldn't pass that up tanks bud lol..

Yeah man, the 670 is a great card.

I agree with you on the phone as well. I've had my Nokia Lumia 820 now for nearly 3 years, with no plans on upgrading. The main reason for this is that I can't be bothered setting up the phone again from scratch, it's a waste of time.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Jebus213

@FelipeInside said:

@Jebus213 said:

@FelipeInside said:

At like 15-30FPS right?

At like smooth.

I don't care about numbers as long as the game runs smooth.

This guy^^

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@the_bi99man said:

They have the money to spend, and they feel like it. That's really all there is to it. You're overthinking this by a whole lot.

Indeed. People like to spend their spare cash in various ways. It makes them feel better about themselves.

dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 dbtbandit67
Member since 2012 • 415 Posts

Because their poor.