NES, Super NES, N64, etc. have Operating Systems?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OilerBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 OilerBoy
Member since 2003 • 877 Posts
Does every nintendo systme have an os?
TUnified

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#2 TUnified
Member since 2003 • 423 Posts

Not just nintendo, but all gaming systems do. Nowadays they incorporate some kind of visual menu system, and some extra features. Older systems you don't even notice the OS because they have one purpose, load the game. An OS is any type of software that makes the hardware (processor, video, game controller, etc.) work.

This is massively oversimplified though.

OilerBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 OilerBoy
Member since 2003 • 877 Posts
Well do you know where I can get some information about the OS specifically because I am thinking of doing the evolution of OS's on Nintendo Systems for my Operating Systems class.
blazethe1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#4 blazethe1
Member since 2004 • 1238 Posts

you might try google, but withmost systems, the OS is well protected with copywrite laws and encoding soyou won't get much farther than what you can see on the screen or hack yourself

ty007mybutty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 ty007mybutty
Member since 2005 • 102 Posts
I don't recommend it, but emulators and reverse engineering those will go a long way towards your understand. It requires some knowlege and skill that isn't very commonplace, though, so you might have a hard time with it.
TUnified

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#6 TUnified
Member since 2003 • 423 Posts

Well do you know where I can get some information about the OS specifically because I am thinking of doing the evolution of OS's on Nintendo Systems for my Operating Systems class.OilerBoy

Every single system is different, and it doesn't make sense to compare them considering they are only created to make the game work on the hardware. The only nintendo systems that you can actually "see" the os are the DS, Wii, and I think the Gamecube.

In order to really compare them you would need to get BIOS dumps of the systems (which is illegal if you don't own them), and actually be able to read machine language and decode the files, which would require the proprietary hardware/software that was used to build them in the first place.

karmageddon2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 karmageddon2k4
Member since 2004 • 919 Posts
all of the consoles have an OS. just a layer between the hardware and the devs code. When you hit the power button it does the usual stuff. Instead of something like windows those were simply the low level layers. but in newer consoles your getting the visual aspect as well
Avatar image for cummingspatrick
cummingspatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cummingspatrick
Member since 2003 • 5083 Posts
On all new consoles, yes. This simplifies the job for the developper, it will give him easy access to librairies and hardware, for example, he doesn't need to write code to use the network adapter. However, for very old consoles, I do not think they had one.... For example on the original Nintendo I think it just boots your cartridge directly, thought there is certainly some integrated firmware at least, which isn't related with operating systems.