This topic is locked from further discussion.

MxAa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MxAa
Member since 2005 • 906 Posts

So PSU's aren't my specialty but, my new rig which i just replaced the mobo, video card, and ram is turning off every once in a while on its' own. I've narrowed it down to my 6 year old power supply. Its a 750 watt thermal take tough power with 4 12v rails at 18 amps each. My mobo is a 768 with a gtx 570, and a core i5 2500k. Should I buy a new power supply? If so, can someone research a good power supply thats decent and is NOT more then I need (preferably thermal take as the connectors will be similar to what I have). Thanks!!

MxAa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MxAa

z68*

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts
Here you go http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021
MxAa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MxAa
Here you go http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681713902104dcarraher
THanks, but is my power supply crap for the hardware these days? I don't really know my self because 4 12 v rails seems like it would just add the amps up to a total.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 04dcarraher
[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]Here you go http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021MxAa
THanks, but is my power supply crap for the hardware these days? I don't really know my self because 4 12 v rails seems like it would just add the amps up to a total.

The only problem with multi railed psu is that "you" have to distribute the loads on the lines.
GS550L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GS550L
Member since 2011 • 923 Posts

[QUOTE="MxAa"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"]Here you go http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681713902104dcarraher

The only problem with multi railed psu is that "you" have to distribute the loads on the lines.

I reckon it'll still work well with his system.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="MxAa"] THanks, but is my power supply crap for the hardware these days? I don't really know my self because 4 12 v rails seems like it would just add the amps up to a total.GS550L

The TC may have too much load on one of the lines. He should read his manual to see what rails powers pci-e power cables.
MxAa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MxAa

The computer has been shutting off then turning back on.... it does this every once in a while. My guess is the power supply safety feature for multiple rails is kicking in. The power supply is 6 years old... maybe I should just replace it? I'm assuming 1 12v rail psus are the way to go?

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
While the power supply is good is like you said 6years old and you are putting alot of load by running a quad core with a gtx570 on it and PSU quality degrades through the years especially after 6years
GS550L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GS550L

[QUOTE="GS550L"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] The only problem with multi railed psu is that "you" have to distribute the loads on the lines. 04dcarraher

The TC may have too much load on one of the lines. He should read his manual to see what rails powers pci-e power cables.

If the power supply the TC is referring to is the modular TT 750W I'm thinking of, rail distribution shouldn't be an issue. The modular cable sockets are specific; you cannot plug in a 6-pin PCI-E or 4-pin Molex cable into the 8-pin EPS socket, so there shouldn't be any problems with overloading a specific rail.

--EDIT--

Aaaand here's another case of someone not reading the OP fully. If you've replaced the motherboard, video card, and RAM, there's a damn good chance that the power supply is to blame. Just ignore what I said earlier.

God, I wonder how I survive sometimes....

MxAa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MxAa

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="GS550L"]

GS550L

If the power supply the TC is referring to is the modular TT 750W I'm thinking of, rail distribution shouldn't be an issue. The modular cable sockets are specific; you cannot plug in a 6-pin PCI-E or 4-pin Molex cable into the 8-pin EPS socket, so there shouldn't be any problems with overloading a specific rail.

--EDIT--

Aaaand here's another case of someone not reading the OP fully. If you've replaced the motherboard, video card, and RAM, there's a damn good chance that the power supply is to blame. Just ignore what I said earlier.

lol I was gonna say... I figure 18 x 4 in a 6 year old PSU prob isnt good. Should I just go single rail or multi rail?
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 04dcarraher
Single
GS550L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GS550L

[QUOTE="GS550L"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] The TC may have too much load on one of the lines. He should read his manual to see what rails powers pci-e power cables. MxAa

--EDIT--

lol I was gonna say... I figure 18 x 4 in a 6 year old PSU prob isnt good. Should I just go single rail or multi rail?

I'd just go with the supply that 04dcarraher suggested; it's pretty well priced with that promo code, and it's powerful enough to run a second GTX 570 comfortably if you feel like throwing a second one into your system. There has been a lot of debate about whether multi-rail power supplies are better than single-rail ones or vice-versa, but to be honest, I feel that it doesn't really matter at the end of the day; for the average user, the build quality and power output should really be the only deciding factors.

MxAa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MxAa

I bought the one listed listed above (the corsair). Plus I got free 2 day shipping with the free shop runner trial and 10 bucks off with the promo =D. Thx guys.