Need to clear things up about the 7970...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by pooxtreme3 (544 posts) -

okay yea the typical thread im sorry 7970 vs 680

i was originally going to get a 680 because i believed nvidia to be very riable, drivers are awesome and just better

Buttt..

80 bucks cheaper for a just as powerful card in the 7970 PLUS the free crysis 3 and bioshock infinite is hard to deny

now i want the card for $400 because then i would save money over a 680 but i have NO CLUE what model to pick

i am extremely concerned when i read the reviews on all 7970 cards i always see problems of just flat out failing, way too loud, bad coil whine etc..etc.

Are all these issues really relevant?

Also when i look at the models these are the two main ones i think might be the best choice..

http://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-DisplayPort-PCI-Express-FX797ATDFC/dp/B006VX52Q2/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1362536996&sr=1-2&keywords=7970+xfx

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009B6Y01Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

.I dont necesarily want the GHZ edition because i see it as pointless to pay 70 extra to do something i can perform and OC my self on a regular 7970 and itll be just as good

also im not a big fan of gigabye edition with the 3 fans...it just looks bad to me lol

#2 Posted by C_Rule (9816 posts) -
Both 7970s with aftermarket coolers... I'd choose the XFX one just because it's a much nicer looking card. Though, if you don't have a windowed case, you may not care for internal aesthetics.
#3 Posted by Guppy507 (17401 posts) -
Both 7970s with aftermarket coolers... I'd choose the XFX one just because it's a much nicer looking card. Though, if you don't have a windowed case, you may not care for internal aesthetics. C_Rule
XFX also has a lifetime warranty.
#4 Posted by pooxtreme3 (544 posts) -
[QUOTE="C_Rule"]Both 7970s with aftermarket coolers... I'd choose the XFX one just because it's a much nicer looking card. Though, if you don't have a windowed case, you may not care for internal aesthetics. Guppy507
XFX also has a lifetime warranty.

good point
#5 Posted by pooxtreme3 (544 posts) -

reading more into the reviews...one person says its very quiet next review says the card sounds like a jet taking off

#6 Posted by razorMDshooter (549 posts) -

I have an xfx 7950- and it can be a bit loud- mostly due to my case fans though. You should be fine with the noise, and i would go with the GHZ.

#7 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

reading more into the reviews...one person says its very quiet next review says the card sounds like a jet taking off

pooxtreme3

People consider different noise levels as "quiet" and it will depend on your case and how far it is from you

#8 Posted by Guppy507 (17401 posts) -

pooxtreme3
Well either one of them has an aftermarket cooler with 2 fans, so it can't be that loud. At the very least it will be more quiet than a reference card.
#9 Posted by ShadowDeathX (11607 posts) -
I think the XFX one will be quieter and that Lifetime Warranty is awesome. That being said, I think Sapphire one will have more overclock room due to it's more aggressive cooling. It is your pick and you shouldn't worry about AMD drivers. They are top notch now a days, on par with Nvidia (if not better many times).
#10 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]I think the XFX one will be quieter and that Lifetime Warranty is awesome. That being said, I think Sapphire one will have more overclock room due to it's more aggressive cooling. It is your pick and you shouldn't worry about AMD drivers. They are top notch now a days, on par with Nvidia (if not better many times).

How is crossfire scaling for you on those cards? Just curious.
#11 Posted by BeerMage (267 posts) -

Sapphire or Gigabyte. Stay away from XFX.

#12 Posted by Tabris91 (7779 posts) -

Sapphire or Gigabyte. Stay away from XFX.

BeerMage

Plus for the Sapphire I'd recommend the OC edition. My friend got the stock clock one and it was voltage locked.

#13 Posted by pooxtreme3 (544 posts) -

now i see there are OC boost editions...are those the same as the GHz editions? im starting to learn toward the sapphire ghz because while XFX looks sweet people have a lot of problems with it

#14 Posted by pooxtreme3 (544 posts) -

or i can wait for 700 series and the 8000 series...ugh decisions..decisions

#15 Posted by Marfoo (5997 posts) -

or i can wait for 700 series and the 8000 series...ugh decisions..decisions

pooxtreme3
I think now is actually a great time to buy.
#16 Posted by silversix_ (26347 posts) -
Personally if were you i'd go with the gpu that overclocks the most.
#17 Posted by pooxtreme3 (544 posts) -
Personally if were you i'd go with the gpu that overclocks the most. silversix_
which would be lol?
Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
#18 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6636 posts) -

[QUOTE="pooxtreme3"]

lostrib

People consider different noise levels as "quiet" and it will depend on your case and how far it is from you

indeed...different people have different opinons on what "quiet" means.  For me, loud would be an Asus DCU II type card where the computer sounds like a vacuum cleaner at full blast.  Any other video card isn't even half as loud as a DCUII so for me I barely notice it.  My own 7970, to me is un noticeable even when I am gaming.  But of course people **** whine and complain about the smallest things like noise, coil whine, drivers etc etc.  In 99% of these cases where a complaint is made, MOST people would not even notice these issues if it weren't pointed out to them and they weren't constantly trying to pay attention to them.  It is just that 1% of people who bark the loudest.

#19 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="pooxtreme3"]

blaznwiipspman1

indeed...different people have different opinons on what "quiet" means.  For me, loud would be an Asus DCU II type card where the computer sounds like a vacuum cleaner at full blast.  Any other video card isn't even half as loud as a DCUII so for me I barely notice it.  My own 7970, to me is un noticeable even when I am gaming.  But of course people **** whine and complain about the smallest things like noise, coil whine, drivers etc etc.  In 99% of these cases where a complaint is made, MOST people would not even notice these issues if it weren't pointed out to them and they weren't constantly trying to pay attention to them.  It is just that 1% of people who bark the loudest.

I don't mind fan noise.. but coil whine is a whole 'nother monster. The ear is very sensitive to it and it's very irritating.  If you sift through user reviews for AMD cards, you'll hear a lot of complaints about coil whine.  It's not just the 1% minority you just conjured up.

#20 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6636 posts) -

[QUOTE="blaznwiipspman1"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

Elann2008

I don't mind fan noise.. but coil whine is a whole 'nother monster. The ear is very sensitive to it and it's very irritating.  If you sift through user reviews for AMD cards, you'll hear a lot of complaints about coil whine.  It's not just the 1% minority you just conjured up.

I literally did not know what coil whine was until a month ago, and ive been using ATI cards for a long ass tme already.  My ear is not that sensitive, im not a dog, just a man.  I can't hear what I can't hear.  The fact that you hear something that most people don't makes you special.  Part of the 1%.  Congrats bro.

#21 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

blaznwiipspman1

I literally did not know what coil whine was until a month ago, and ive been using ATI cards for a long ass tme already.  My ear is not that sensitive, im not a dog, just a man.  I can't hear what I can't hear.  The fact that you hear something that most people don't makes you special.  Part of the 1%.  Congrats bro.

Or you're just part of the 1% that refuses to acknowledge that it exists. In your case, ignorance is bliss.
#22 Posted by C_Rule (9816 posts) -

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

blaznwiipspman1

Anyone with decent hearing can hear coil whine. And DCU II coolers are loud? Yeah, if you have them at 100% they'll be a bit loud, but they don't need to be anywhere near that to cool well.
#23 Posted by Marfoo (5997 posts) -
My old 4870s used to exhibit a bit of coil whine under certain loads, luckily it was under a rare set of circumstances. My 7870 doesn't have any at all which is nice.
#24 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6636 posts) -

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

Elann2008

Or you're just part of the 1% that refuses to acknowledge that it exists. In your case, ignorance is bliss.

why would I "refuse" to acknowledge something that doesn't exist.  Maybe its you who who is trying to make up something that doesn't exist?  I know one thing for a fact though and that is some peoples ears ARE more sensitive.  A buddy I worked with before could hear very subtle sounds, even though me and everyone else had trouble hearing the same sound unless we tried paying attention to it.  For that situation though it gave him an advantage since he would know in advance before everyone else when something messed up.  The fact that some people can hear it and others can't makes it a variable factor. But im assuming that coil whine sounds like some sort of steam whistle? If that is what it sounds like, I have yet to hear something like that.

#25 Posted by Marfoo (5997 posts) -

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="blaznwiipspman1"]

blaznwiipspman1

why would I "refuse" to acknowledge something that doesn't exist.  Maybe its you who who is trying to make up something that doesn't exist?  I know one thing for a fact though and that is some peoples ears ARE more sensitive.  A buddy I worked with before could hear very subtle sounds, even though me and everyone else had trouble hearing the same sound unless we tried paying attention to it.  For that situation though it gave him an advantage since he would know in advance before everyone else when something messed up.  The fact that some people can hear it and others can't makes it a variable factor. But im assuming that coil whine sounds like some sort of steam whistle? If that is what it sounds like, I have yet to hear something like that.

Ever heard a transformer coil buzzing? Think of that sound, but smaller scale, higher pitch. Exact same phenomenon.
#26 Posted by Marfoo (5997 posts) -

blaznwiipspman1

Also, it's entirely possibly you've just gotten lucky and haven't gotten a card that has whine. A lot of different factors can affect whether or not a coil exhibits whine. Sometimes variations in manufacturing cause it to exist (at least audibly), so the same card one to another may or may not have it, and it's likely that most don't.
#27 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

blaznwiipspman1

Well, I wish my hearing wasn't so sensitive. It sucks. :/ I'm not arguing that some of us have different sensitivities but there are coil whine that can easily be heard even without the sensitive ear.
#28 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
I am glad you made this thread. I too am torn between these two cards. What's the benefits to getting the 6GB 7970 over the 3GB version? I am torn between the 6GB 7970 GHz edition and the 4GB GTX 680.
#29 Posted by ShadowDeathX (11607 posts) -
I am glad you made this thread. I too am torn between these two cards. What's the benefits to getting the 6GB 7970 over the 3GB version? I am torn between the 6GB 7970 GHz edition and the 4GB GTX 680. AmazonTreeBoa
You have more video RAM, that is about it. I have the 6GB version because I have a 2560 x 1440 monitor and a 3x 1080p Eyefinity set-up to power. If you only have one or two monitors, get the 3GB version. If you have a bunch of monitors and/or like playing games with uber modded textures, get the 6GB one.