Need some help with Star Wars: Best of PC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

J3ST3R_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 J3ST3R_17
Member since 2008 • 32 Posts

Yeah, yeah, it's old, I know. But I just picked the thing up and I'm encountering some problems. First off, whenever I try to play Republic Commando, it asks me to insert the original game disc... in other words, the disk which is already in the drive. I click "OK" and nothing happens. I try to put in the second disk, just for kicks, and still nothing happens. So in other words, it thinks that I don't have the right disc. The odd thing is, I played the game once before, it just decided to give me this error recently.

Second: I can't get KoToR to run, either. I continually get an error message that claims that a "problem" caused the program to stop working correctly and then immediately shuts it down. Needless, to say, I'm starting to get annoyed.

As for my system: I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit (Don't give me that crap about how they don't work on Vista, I've seen them played on this operating system before). It's a fairly new computer so all my hardware is up to date and runs every every other game I've tried (including the other games in the Best of PC set). I've already tried running these programs in Compatibilty mode, and as administrators, so I've already covered that base. Any other possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Orrendamente

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Orrendamente
Member since 2007 • 362 Posts
You could try reinstalling the game I guess? That's pretty much all that comes to mind except maybe software causing it, in that case I'd just format if it's been awhile since you have.
Judza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Judza
Member since 2004 • 4637 Posts
Patch the games, and then try compatibility mode. That might be the key.
J3ST3R_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 J3ST3R_17
Ah, I've already tried re-installing it and that didn't work either. And as for patching the game, from what I've heard that would be a huge mistake. Supposedly these games come pre-patched (seeing as how all of them are well past their release dates) so patching them again usually causes even more errors.
adrake4183

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 adrake4183
Member since 2006 • 668 Posts

on commando one thing you might try... If you have two dvd drives then put the cd in the other one. Sometimes I get that type of error if I installed from one drive and then try to play with the cd in the other drive. Sort of a shot in the dark but its easy to test.

As far as kotor shutting down on start-up it could be a driver or unsupported graphic card problem. I might try patching the game anyway because the newest version should stick. Don't know if these will help but its easy to try.

J3ST3R_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 J3ST3R_17
Nah, 'fraid that I've only got one drive. And actually, one thing that I've heard about the KoToR problem is that my drivers are actually (get this) too good for the game. Makes sense, actually. BioWare would have stopped updating the KoToR game a while ago, so any new drivers might be too much for it to handle. So if that's right, then I may need to go get an older driver to make it work. Any idea of where to get an older one that would be KoToR compatible?
Avatar image for deactivated-5ee322a396e26
deactivated-5ee322a396e26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5ee322a396e26
Member since 2005 • 2510 Posts
what gfx card do you have, republic commando does'nt seem to work with the 8800 series.
Fuzzy_Bear123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Fuzzy_Bear123
Member since 2007 • 638 Posts

Republic Commando is not working because of the securom copy protection, you can thank Sony for that one. Your best bet is to find a fixed .exe file. I can't list the sites where you can get it here though.

As for KOTOR that game is hit or miss on vista, it won't work on my vista labtop either but it works fine on my XP desktop. Try searching around online for a solution to that.

Good Luck.

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts

Don't patch the games! They are all already patched, and patching them again will screw you up big time. I see you already know that lol.

Don't know what else to say, never ran into any of these problems.

As for your KOTOR problem, that sounds ridicolous. Drivers too good?

J3ST3R_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 J3ST3R_17

A fixed .exe file, eh? Alright, I'll do a bit of searching.

And yeah, it does sound ridiculous that a PC can be "too good" to run something, but then it also makes sense: as time goes on, updated drivers will not have the same compatibility features as old ones. Ergo, some games are going to get left behind, like poor old KoToR here. It's sad, but logical.

I'll probably end up doing what you did: taking it off my vista laptop and putting it on the family XP desktop. It might work better there, but I'll probably have to endure the wrath of my folks for it. Imagine playing an RPG like that on your family's all purpose computer:

"Son, I've gotta finish our taxes!"

"Hold on! I just need one more level in dark side then I can shoot lightning!"

Yeah, might get messy. But I'll see how it all pans out.

And whoever asked what graphics card I have: I'm using an NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600. So it's not a problem with the 8800 series, clearly.