Need network wiz - All portforwarding doesn't work (Tomato Firmware)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

So I just updated all of my WRT54GL Linksys routers from older DD-WRT firmware to the latest version of Tomato firmware. My experience with this firmware hasn't been very positive. My routers won't interact with each other when I have one set as an Access Point and the others set as clients. They see each other, but they will only send each other error-packets. So instead I set the infrastructure to a Client-Bridge infrastructure, and that worked immediately. Now I can browse the internet and access my WAN/LAN, but now I can't seem to get any port forwarding functionality to work.

Absolutely none whatsoever. I have a static IP set up on this PC, and all the ports on my access router are opened and directed to the static IP. So why doesn't it work?

JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 JimmyJumpy
Member since 2008 • 2554 Posts

Not a whiz, far from, but in order to forward a port, you need to specify the software and the port that software uses.  Most router firewalls have some kind of whitelist that allows "regular" software to use the net on its own (like windows updates), other software -like µTorrent for instance- need to be added manually into the router with the port µTorrent is using...

That's about the furthest my knowledge goes.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

So I just updated all of my WRT54GL Linksys routers from older DD-WRT firmware to the latest version of Tomato firmware. My experience with this firmware hasn't been very positive. My routers won't interact with each other when I have one set as an Access Point and the others set as clients. They see each other, but they will only send each other error-packets. So instead I set the infrastructure to a Client-Bridge infrastructure, and that worked immediately. Now I can browse the internet and access my WAN/LAN, but now I can't seem to get any port forwarding functionality to work.

Absolutely none whatsoever. I have a static IP set up on this PC, and all the ports on my access router are opened and directed to the static IP. So why doesn't it work?

KHAndAnime
How did it work before the firmware update?
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 KHAndAnime
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]

evildead6789
How did it work before the firmware update?

I turned on DMZ and everything worked fine before. Now, DMZ doesn't do anything (on or off). I'm guessing I'm forced to flash back to DD-WRT and deal with a different set of problems.
commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

[QUOTE="evildead6789"][QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]

KHAndAnime

I turned on DMZ and everything worked fine before. Now, DMZ doesn't do anything (on or off). I'm guessing I'm forced to flash back to DD-WRT and deal with a different set of problems.

Why did you have to update the firmware. Did you use dmz for one ip? How did it work before the firmware update?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Your first mistake is using the standard Tomato firmware, I think its like 2yrs old now.

Try Toastman's firmware, its based on Tomato but its much newer, I'm using a RT N-16 as gateway, some cheap ****** as an extender and the same router as yours as another extender.

Here's a link,

http://toastmanfirmware.yolasite.com/

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KHAndAnime

Your first mistake is using the standard Tomato firmware, I think its like 2yrs old now.

Try Toastman's firmware, its based on Tomato but its much newer, I'm using a RT N-16 as gateway, some cheap ****** as an extender and the same router as yours as another extender.

Here's a link,

http://toastmanfirmware.yolasite.com/

GTR12
Thanks, I will try flashing to that as soon as my family is done using the internet. I guess I wasn't really concerned about getting the newest firmware - these WRT54GL routers have been around forever so I wouldn't have guessed that people are STILL putting out firmware :P. I feel like the old Tomato firmware really should work, maybe an error happened in the flashing. Evildead, I updated firmware because I was getting intermittent lag issues in games. Occasionally I can game perfectly over my wireless network, but lately there has been some hiccups. Using this Tomato firmware, there are no more hiccups. The only thing is for some reason, I can't port forward things anymore. Previously on DD-WRT firmware I had DMZ set to the Ip of this computer. On Tomato, I tried the same thing and it doesn't want to work. Hopefully more new firmware clears it up. :P
JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JimmyJumpy

You could also check here

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KHAndAnime
GTR12, You're my lord and savior dude. I've been dealing with a dozen different trolls, snobs, and generally unhelpful people who are quicker to try to flame me for using DMZ mode than actually help me with the problem I've been having. Flashing to that firmware has gotten internet in Wireless Client mode, for once. It actually works as it's supposed to. Now let's just see if I can get it to port-forward...
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KHAndAnime

No luck with port forwarding. Seems impossible to port forward if you're behind multiple routers. Here's how I have it set up (according to portforward.com). Should this not work?

This is my network: Comcast Modem --> Wireless Router A ---(wireless signal)-> Wireless Router B ----(ethernet)---> PC with Subsonic

For Subsonic, I need port 4040 open. On Wireless Router A, I have port 4040 opened and being forwarded to Wireless Router B's IP Address. Then I have Wireless Router B set to forward port 4040 to my static IP address set on my PC. This doesn't work. So what will?

JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JimmyJumpy

Wireless router A also needs port 4040 forwarded.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KHAndAnime

Wireless router A also needs port 4040 forwarded.

JimmyJumpy

On Wireless Router A, I have port 4040 opened and being forwarded to Wireless Router B's IP Address

KHAndAnime

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KHAndAnime
I figured it out. After flashing Toastman on my routers and setting my router to a Wireless Ethernet Bridge instead of a Wireless Client allowed me to get the proper port forwarding I need. Now everything works simply by setting the port-forward settings on my main router. On top of that, Toastman's firmware is blazing fast. After getting all my settings set on each router, my latency to game servers has decreased in half! My wireless network is really zippy for gaming now. Thanks a lot!
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#14 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

I figured it out. After flashing Toastman on my routers and setting my router to a Wireless Ethernet Bridge instead of a Wireless Client allowed me to get the proper port forwarding I need. Now everything works simply by setting the port-forward settings on my main router. On top of that, Toastman's firmware is blazing fast. After getting all my settings set on each router, my latency to game servers has decreased in half! My wireless network is really zippy for gaming now. Thanks a lot!KHAndAnime

Don't forget to OC the router or the antennas if your getting a bad signal.