Need MASSIVE help :/ (windows 10)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hydrolex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Hydrolex
Member since 2007 • 1648 Posts

So i left my computer for a few hrs, and came back to it being restarted. I signed in and saw updates installed notifications on the right. Then I realized that update is worse than a virus, totally messed up my windows 10.

The window icon doesn't work, i can't open anything. No applications run, and when I press alt shit tab to open taskbar, a black screen pops.... I've been trying everything but no luck what so ever....

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Hydrolex said:

So i left my computer for a few hrs, and came back to it being restarted. I signed in and saw updates installed notifications on the right. Then I realized that update is worse than a virus, totally messed up my windows 10.

The window icon doesn't work, i can't open anything. No applications run, and when I press alt shit tab to open taskbar, a black screen pops.... I've been trying everything but no luck what so ever....

A few helpful links here: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=windows+10+revert+updates&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gfe_rd=cr&ei=Q3xMWKaNMcbN8geDkJzoDA

And no, updates isn't worse than a virus.

Hydrolex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Hydrolex
Member since 2007 • 1648 Posts

I uninstalled it, but still the same problem... I called Microsoft, they are going to have a technician level 2 contact me tomorrow. I saw on reddit, people having the same problem

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5  Edited By Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 3811 Posts

this is why windows 10 sucks. Forced and untested updates.

Is there any way to get into system restore to reverse the damage? Like is there a way to boot into safe mode before windows 10 boots up? Windows 7 i know you can select to boot a system restore point before the system starts up in the safe mode menu.... Ur right though, it sounds like worse than a virus, most viruses you can remove or prevent.

I guess if you ever get it working again, you can disable the windows update service to prevent this from happening in the future, and do a backup before trying out any of microsofts broken updates. I had a different set of problems with high cpu usage spikes and cpu cycles waste when i tried win10, switched back to win7. Whole pile of reasons i won't go back and forced buggy updates is one of them on top of a lot of my older games not working with it.

Windows 7 is so much more user friendly, i can check for updates whenever i want, when i see them i can do a clone of my OS and then try the update out and reverse back in 15 minutes from the backup if all hell breaks loose... no tricks like windows 10.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Yams1980 said:

this is why windows 10 sucks. Forced and untested updates.

Show me how a company can fully 100% test an update across a million different hardware and software/driver configurations?

First, Windows 10 doesn't suck. All Windows versions would have update problems with some random computer out in the world. Same thing happens with Chrome OS and Mac OS.

Second, it's not forced, you can turn off the service and never get updates. While you're at it, turn off your Antivirus auto-updater too.

Third, you can tell Win10 when to update.

And last, Win10 also has safe mode.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

i unistall the update today and I haven't had any problems since then.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

do a clean install

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

What are you guys talking about? Had no problems so far with the update...

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 6004 Posts

Windows 10 is seeming more like something you want to have running in a virtual machine on Linux every day..... (This is possible if your CPU supports VT-d, you get direct access to the hardware so you can even play games with 99.9% of the performance you would see in a regular Windows installation).

I actually have not had many issues with updates. The anniversary update messed up some drivers, but they were 'unofficial' drivers and they worked after I reinstalled them. Other than that my only gripe is the forced nature of the updates, I've had my computer just restart in the middle of using it because of updates.... Although if you have a Pro version there is an option to defer updates for 30 days.

When is the last time you updated your graphics drivers? Seems like something is not playing well with the update.