Need help with laptops.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

Soo... My dad is looking for a new laptop, and Harvey Norman are doing 40% off Toshiba laptops (till Sunday).

All but one of our laptops have been Toshiba's (the one being an NEC, which was a piece of s**t), and we've been pretty happy with them.

I can't find any good reviews on any off them, but the Satellite L650/0K4 looks like a good deal. I'd like to know what it's battery life is, but I can't seem to find that info.

The specs are pretty decent and $780 is a crazy price (for Aus), what you guys think?

Here are the rest of the Toshiba's on offer at Harvey Norman, I don't expect anyone to inspect each one, but if anything jumps out at you, let us know.

Ta.

(Links are TinyURL cause GS is a pain in the ass and didn't like my links)

Avatar image for UltimateGamer95
UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 UltimateGamer95
Member since 2006 • 4720 Posts

Toshiba makes high quality and reliable laptops and they have the second lowest percentage of failures according to this . As for battery life i'd say around 2-3 hrs at best considering it has gaming tier specs.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 C_Rule

Toshiba makes high quality and reliable laptops and they have the second lowest percentage of failures according to this . As for battery life i'd say around 2-3 hrs at best considering it has gaming tier specs.

UltimateGamer95
Ooo, haven't seen that chart, nice. I've always thought of Toshiba and ASUS to be the best. Yeah, I was thinking 2-3 hours, the battery life is not highly important, as he would nearly always use his laptop where a power point is close-by.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 C_Rule
Also, a side question, for anyone who knows; Why have manufacturers ditched the docking station things? My dads current laptop which is a Toshiba Tecra has a slot on the bottom which clips into a docking station that you can plug all your stuff into. These seem very handy, I don't know why Toshiba no longer do this.
UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 UltimateGamer95
[QUOTE="C_Rule"]Also, a side question, for anyone who knows; Why have manufacturers ditched the docking station things? My dads current laptop which is a Toshiba Tecra has a slot on the bottom which clips into a docking station that you can plug all your stuff into. These seem very handy, I don't know why Toshiba no longer do this.

probably because its one more thing you have to carry around with you lol
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Ooo, haven't seen that chart, nice. I've always thought of Toshiba and ASUS to be the best. Yeah, I was thinking 2-3 hours, the battery life is not highly important, as he would nearly always use his laptop where a power point is close-by.C_Rule

2-3hrs is a bit over-estimating, 1.5-2hrs maximum I suppose, its only a 6 cell battery on a 15.6" screen.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 C_Rule
[QUOTE="UltimateGamer95"][QUOTE="C_Rule"]Also, a side question, for anyone who knows; Why have manufacturers ditched the docking station things? My dads current laptop which is a Toshiba Tecra has a slot on the bottom which clips into a docking station that you can plug all your stuff into. These seem very handy, I don't know why Toshiba no longer do this.

No, you just leave it at home, connected to your home set-up.
UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 UltimateGamer95
[QUOTE="C_Rule"][QUOTE="UltimateGamer95"][QUOTE="C_Rule"]Also, a side question, for anyone who knows; Why have manufacturers ditched the docking station things? My dads current laptop which is a Toshiba Tecra has a slot on the bottom which clips into a docking station that you can plug all your stuff into. These seem very handy, I don't know why Toshiba no longer do this.

No, you just leave it at home, connected to your home set-up.

hmm dunno then cause i've never really used a docking station before. I suspect they dont make them much anymore because i guess the assumption is that most people arent going to be getting a laptop for mostly home use lol.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 C_Rule
Well, regarding battery life. It took 128 minutes to get to 50%, just sitting there, doing nothing. So, I guess you could expect 2 hours+ for light work, like surfing or typing. Anyway, those who have seen the other thread, will know it has a stuck pixel. That JScreen thing didn't fix it, so it will have to be replaced.