need help choosing cans for gaming and music (50-50)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AGP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AGP
Member since 2003 • 231 Posts

I just came back from Hongkong for headphone testing to replace my M50.

My purpose is for music and gaming (50-50). Games I played are csgo, l4d2, tf2 and sc2. Music varies between pop, rock, jazz.

After long journey on headfi, I narrowed my selection with beyer 990 pro 250 ohm (220 usd) and senn HD 650 (360 usd).

some recommend 650 because it will satisfy my music need and good long term investment. Other said 990 beyer will be better for gaming need and ok for my music.

Beyer is known for wide soundstage and imaging for my gaming need. Many headfi thread praising for its wide soundstage and imaging for competitive gaming. While the 650 is not known for gaming. I cant find a single thread on headfi mentioning the soundstage details and its gaming use.

Any seniors here please help me on choosing between these 2. No hurry here, there are still another 1-2 months before I buy it.

Source will be asus g73jw and Fiio E17. I know the fiio will not properly power the 650, but its just temporary untill I have spare cash to replace it.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

What's your budget??

AGP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AGP

Both are acceptable for me.

For amp, I will use my fiio e17 for now until i got spare money for better amp.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

Both are excellent headphones. The Fiio is perfect for powering the HD650s too, it is a myth that high impedance headphones need powerful amps. A well designed amp like the Fiio should provide plenty of clean volume and power.

Unless you are hearing problems like hiss or distortion, or the volume isn't loud enough then the amp isn't a problem.It is more likely that a low impedence high sensitivity earphone will provide problems, as if you are using a high impedence amp then you could get all sorts of problems like hiss and frequency response changes.

You can't go wrong with either headphone, personally I have some HD600 and like them a lot, so the HD650 should be excellent for music and games.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

I've only used 650s once for about 5 minutes, but it was in the studio and the soundstage seemed quite wide, being open backed helps.

Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#6 Bozanimal
Member since 2003 • 2500 Posts
Personally I'd go with the Beyer, simply because it is more comfortable for long gaming sessions. One additional option I might consider is the AKG Q701, which are super-comfortable with a wide soundstage, neutral sound, and excellent positional audio with Dolby headphone. And they're comfy. To be honest, all of those headphones are going to sound fantastic, and all are open-back with a wide soundstage, so you can't really go wrong. Good luck! Boz
AGP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AGP

Thank you all for the reply.

For now, I still on 50-50 with the 990 pro and 650. I still can't decide which one, after researching on headfi.

If the 990 comfort is the same like 770 pro comfort, then yes, I can wear it for long time. Too bad last time I went to the store, there are no 990 test unit. Next time I will try to test it.

For AKG, too bass light for me. I still need bass for my music, even though I listened to more relaxed music now. The 650 is on the border for my bass need already.

1 thing is soundstage, will I be happy to sacrifice soundstage over music SQ detail if I'm going with the 650. Or I will sacrifice music SQ if I go to beyer.

I don't want to buy both, waste of money and space.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

I would recommend either the AKG K702 or the Hifiman HE400. The K702 is known for its massive soundstage and is absouletly amazing for gaming. And is comfy. The Hifiman HE400 is also good with games. It is very laid back. Even more laid back then Senn's:shock: And will be great with gaming and music.

Edit: Meant the AKG Q701. They have detachable cables so if they break or you want to upgrade it you can.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Wolfetan

Thank you all for the reply.

For now, I still on 50-50 with the 990 pro and 650. I still can't decide which one, after researching on headfi.

If the 990 comfort is the same like 770 pro comfort, then yes, I can wear it for long time. Too bad last time I went to the store, there are no 990 test unit. Next time I will try to test it.

For AKG, too bass light for me. I still need bass for my music, even though I listened to more relaxed music now. The 650 is on the border for my bass need already.

1 thing is soundstage, will I be happy to sacrifice soundstage over music SQ detail if I'm going with the 650. Or I will sacrifice music SQ if I go to beyer.

I don't want to buy both, waste of money and space.

AGP

K702. Also go onto Mad Lust's Envy Gaming Guide thread on HeadFi. He praises the K702 for gaming.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mozelleple112

Yeah I'll vouch the AKG K702 for gaming.. incredible details,, widest soundstage evaar. waay to bass light for music though.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Wolfetan

Yeah I'll vouch the AKG K702 for gaming.. incredible details,, widest soundstage evaar. waay to bass light for music though.

Mozelleple112
Depends on the type of music..
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts
Go for the Q701 it has a bit more bass then the K702/K702.
AGP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AGP

Thanks all for the support.

After much discussion on headfi with Mad lust envy gaming thread, recommendation thread, I decided to go with Hifiman HE 400.

Here is my impression with the HE400 rev3 compared to the beyer 990 pro 250 ohm, hope it can help with someone with cans hunting problem.

Comfort wise, the 990 is almost the same like the 770 pro, it just clamp a little bit more. If 770 I give 10/10, 990 I give 9.5/10.

HE400 clamp is surprisingly comfy. Just a bit more than the 990 but still less than HD 650. Too bad the weight is very noticeable, but its not a major issue for me. Atleast the cup is bigger than my ear, unlike the AT m50 that becomes on my ear design. If someone are hesitant because of the weight, give it a try first. It might need a little time to get used with it. However, someone with a bad neck or weight issue, stay clear from Hifiman and choose Beyer insted.

Sound wise I will describe according to my ear. If anyone disagree, forgive me since I'm not an expert Audiophile.

He400 the first thing I noticed is Treble. Its even more than my M50. The Bass level also a bit more than m50, but not overpowering. Vocal and instrument are forward and clear with good details.

990 bass and treble are over emphasized, but vocal and instrument are more laid back and less detailed. Speed is faster than the He400, but still 650 is the slowest of the 3. For comparison, if beyer do 100kph, he400 might be 70 kph and 650 is 40 kph. Beyer is good for electronica/techno while the HE 400 is still decent for almost all genre.

Soundstage the beyer is the widest and gives the clearest feel of instrument separation. He400 also has decent soundstage, about 30-40% less than beyer. However, the Beyer did a good job with out of your head feel, while Hifiman still gives on your head feel although much better than M50.

Comclusion, just ordered the HE400 along with the velour pads to add comfort without sacrificing SQ according to Envy.

While the 650 is tempting, but it just too much investment with the equipment, while the He400 with Fiio E17 is enough already. If I want to invest with expensive equipment, I just go with Audeze instead.

AGP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AGP

I would recommend either the AKG K702 or the Hifiman HE400. The K702 is known for its massive soundstage and is absouletly amazing for gaming. And is comfy. The Hifiman HE400 is also good with games. It is very laid back. Even more laid back then Senn's:shock: And will be great with gaming and music.

Edit: Meant the AKG Q701. They have detachable cables so if they break or you want to upgrade it you can.

Wolfetan

I disagree with the He400. I heard it and the HE400 is more front than the beyer and of course the 650. But its my ear here and my HE400 is rev3, the newest one.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Wolfetan

[QUOTE="Wolfetan"]

AGP

I disagree with the He400. I heard it and the HE400 is more front than the beyer and of course the 650. But its my ear here and my HE400 is rev3, the newest one.

I remember somebody saying it on HeadFi. Sorry bout that.
AGP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AGP

[QUOTE="AGP"]

[QUOTE="Wolfetan"]

Wolfetan

No problem, everybody ears are different. Maybe you will hear differently from me.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Wolfetan

[QUOTE="Wolfetan"][QUOTE="AGP"]

AGP

No problem, everybody ears are different. Maybe you will hear differently from me.

Yea. I will be getting new cans for Christmas:D. The mad dogs by mrspeakers. Some make the claim on headfi that they sound better than the audeze LCD2's for only $250. I recommend looking at them.
AGP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AGP

[QUOTE="AGP"]

[QUOTE="Wolfetan"] I remember somebody saying it on HeadFi. Sorry bout that.Wolfetan

Yea. I will be getting new cans for Christmas:D. The mad dogs by mrspeakers. Some make the claim on headfi that they sound better than the audeze LCD2's for only $250. I recommend looking at them.

Yes, but its heavily modded. I domt have the skill and effort... for now I will enjoy the hifiman. Dont want to buy more than 1 can. Already sold the m50 for 80 usd...

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Wolfetan

[QUOTE="Wolfetan"][QUOTE="AGP"]

AGP

Yes, but its heavily modded. I domt have the skill and effort... for now I will enjoy the hifiman. Dont want to buy more than 1 can. Already sold the m50 for 80 usd...

Only 80$?? Also you can just buy them from MrSpeakers. How much do you think a Grado SR80i with L-Cush would sell for?
Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#20 Bozanimal
Member since 2003 • 2500 Posts
The funny part about this thread is that now I want the DT990's even more. Hah! Happy gaming, Boz
spittis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 spittis
Member since 2005 • 1875 Posts

The funny part about this thread is that now I want the DT990's even more. Hah! Happy gaming, BozBozanimal

Funny that you too mention those, I'm possibly having a pair of DT-990 premiums coming my way in a couple of weeks, if I get them for a descent price (meaning not over 100 euros more expensive than the older pro version).

AGP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AGP

[QUOTE="AGP"]

[QUOTE="Wolfetan"] Yea. I will be getting new cans for Christmas:D. The mad dogs by mrspeakers. Some make the claim on headfi that they sound better than the audeze LCD2's for only $250. I recommend looking at them.Wolfetan

Only 80$?? Also you can just buy them from MrSpeakers. How much do you think a Grado SR80i with L-Cush would sell for?

I live in hongkong and the price for 2nd hand goods will drop sharp. 80 usd is actually high enough.

Any online websita for mr speakers? I can find the unmodded one though... but I will not buy it, since already ordered the he400.

I dont know the pricing in usa, ask headfi instead.

AGP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AGP

The funny part about this thread is that now I want the DT990's even more. Hah! Happy gaming, BozBozanimal

Gaming and comfort wise, the 990 pro will satisfy more. The hifiman will satisfy music need more and gaming close to beyer Ccording to mad lust envy thread.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Wolfetan

[QUOTE="Bozanimal"]The funny part about this thread is that now I want the DT990's even more. Hah! Happy gaming, BozAGP

Gaming and comfort wise, the 990 pro will satisfy more. The hifiman will satisfy music need more and gaming close to beyer Ccording to mad lust envy thread.

Ah, you used the Mad Lust Envy thread. Good to hear. http://www.mrspeakers.com/index.php?route=common/home

AGP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AGP

[QUOTE="AGP"]

[QUOTE="Bozanimal"]The funny part about this thread is that now I want the DT990's even more. Hah! Happy gaming, BozWolfetan

Ah, you used the Mad Lust Envy thread. Good to hear. http://www.mrspeakers.com/index.php?route=common/home

Thanks for the link, will keep it for future reference. Enjoying the he400 for now, can't wait for it... longest 10 days wait...

Very helpfull thread for anyone looking for a gaming cans. Thanks to Mad lust envy.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Wolfetan

[QUOTE="Wolfetan"]

[QUOTE="AGP"]

AGP

Thanks for the link, will keep it for future reference. Enjoying the he400 for now, can't wait for it... longest 10 days wait...

Very helpfull thread for anyone looking for a gaming cans. Thanks to Mad lust envy.

Im getting the Mad Dogs for Christmas. Im also getting Stax EP-007 pads for $160:shock: but there supposed to be super comfy and fit on the Mad Dogs.Also, nice using any amp?

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mozelleple112
[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"]

Wolfetan

If the music contains a beat, drums or bass guitar, the AKG (and other neutral, complete lack of bass headphones) sound horrible. 90% of the music I listen to his popular music from for example David Guetta, Dance/techno/electric/dubstep remixes, or typical pop like Psy's Gangnam style. The other 10% of music has some other form of bass like Pink Floyd, Queen, etc. (Another one bits the dust, Another brick in the wall are too examples where good bass is needed) but for gaming bass isn't that necessary so the AKGs really do shine. For anything else, I'd take my Denon D5000.
AGP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AGP

[QUOTE="AGP"]

[QUOTE="Wolfetan"]

[QUOTE="AGP"]

Wolfetan

Im getting the Mad Dogs for Christmas. Im also getting Stax EP-007 pads for $160:shock: but there supposed to be super comfy and fit on the Mad Dogs.Also, nice using any amp?

[/QUOTE

That is a very expensive pads... Not worthed IMO... Better just invest it on better Amps/dac.

No idea for amps, I'm also a noob in audiophile world. Ask Headfi seniors.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Wolfetan

[QUOTE="Wolfetan"]

[QUOTE="AGP"] Ah, you used the Mad Lust Envy thread. Good to hear. http://www.mrspeakers.com/index.php?route=common/home

AGP

[/QUOTE

That is a very expensive pads... Not worthed IMO... Better just invest it on better Amps/dac.

I've been on HeadFi a while im pretty well educated. The Stax Pads are worth it! Malveux told me on HeadFi(He's probably the most prestigious HeadFier) that they are amazing and are worth it. I have a FiiO E11 so im covered with amps until I get a Hifiman HE-500 then I will most likely get a O2+ODAC.
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Wolfetan
[QUOTE="Wolfetan"][QUOTE="Mozelleple112"]

Mozelleple112

If the music contains a beat, drums or bass guitar, the AKG (and other neutral, complete lack of bass headphones) sound horrible. 90% of the music I listen to his popular music from for example David Guetta, Dance/techno/electric/dubstep remixes, or typical pop like Psy's Gangnam style. The other 10% of music has some other form of bass like Pink Floyd, Queen, etc. (Another one bits the dust, Another brick in the wall are too examples where good bass is needed) but for gaming bass isn't that necessary so the AKGs really do shine. For anything else, I'd take my Denon D5000.

You have a Denon D5000! Nice! Anyways if you listen to folk like me than the AKG's will do well. Note that I have not tried them just basing my opinions off other peoples opinions.
AGP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AGP

[QUOTE="AGP"]

[QUOTE="Wolfetan"]

Wolfetan

[/QUOTE

I've been on HeadFi a while im pretty well educated. The Stax Pads are worth it! Malveux told me on HeadFi(He's probably the most prestigious HeadFier) that they are amazing and are worth it. I have a FiiO E11 so im covered with amps until I get a Hifiman HE-500 then I will most likely get a O2+ODAC.

Ok then, enjoy it... Better if you try it first before dropping 150usd on a pads only!

Hopefully, the he400 will covers me long enough before I can afford expensive cans...

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Wolfetan

[QUOTE="Wolfetan"][QUOTE="AGP"] Im getting the Mad Dogs for Christmas. Im also getting Stax EP-007 pads for $160:shock: but there supposed to be super comfy and fit on the Mad Dogs.Also, nice using any amp?

[/QUOTE

AGP

Ok then, enjoy it... Better if you try it first before dropping 150usd on a pads only!

Hopefully, the he400 will covers me long enough before I can afford expensive cans...

Yea. But im pretty sure they take a while to prepare and i don't have time for that and would rather just get them both right away. Haha.