Need help choosing a True surround 5.1.or 7.1 headphone / headset for $100-150

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Yagnav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Yagnav
Member since 2004 • 6107 Posts

Like the topic says, need true surround, not virtual. The reason I am stuck up on this is, well i've spent a lot on my Maximus V Formula mobo and while not entirely, but a good deal of it was because of the onboard audio. Plugging in a usb virtual surround set simply dosen't cut it then.

Mind you, this is for mostly gaming, occasionally music and video's etc. I play mostly FPS's and RTS's, some Adventure & RPG's.

I already own a pair of Ear Force delta's for my Xbox and PS3 and I must say I was very impressed, so while not an audiophile, strictly speaking, I do appreciate good sound. And while I am aware that sound is very subjective, just to give you an idea, my car has a kit from boston acoustics and rockford fosgate, using a bose sounddock at home and I also own Klipsh and those MW3 billet in ear headphones.

That said, I am looking at the Roccat Kave and a few others like the Fatal1ty headset. Am considering the Tiamat 7.1 too but reviews are sparse and it is a bit out of budget at the moment, but willing to sit and wait for the moolah if any headset / phone is really worth it.

So all your help is most welcome. Thanks in advance.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Read the sticky

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11266 Posts

THERE IS NO TRUE SURROUND UNLESS YOU HAVE 5 SPEAKERS AND ONE SUBWOOFER (OR MORE OF BOTH).

"surround sound bars" are TECHNICALLY just a mono speaker

"surround sound headsets" are TECHNICALLY stereo speakers. PERIOD.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Why buy a motherboard because of the onboard sound?

It's still gonna be worse than a £25 Xonar DG.

Yagnav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Yagnav

Why buy a motherboard because of the onboard sound?

It's still gonna be worse than a £25 Xonar DG.

kraken2109
Didn't buy it just for the sound, sound was an added bonus. But I do want to take advantage of the onboard audio.
Yagnav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Yagnav

Read the sticky

GTR12

Read it, and just asking for opinions, you know they are like a-holes, everyone has one !

Yagnav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Yagnav

THERE IS NO TRUE SURROUND UNLESS YOU HAVE 5 SPEAKERS AND ONE SUBWOOFER (OR MORE OF BOTH).

"surround sound bars" are TECHNICALLY just a mono speaker

"surround sound headsets" are TECHNICALLY stereo speakers. PERIOD.

Mozelleple112
Link below says otherwise.......agreed there are not many but I am asking for the few that do exist. http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/razer-tiamat-71
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kraken2109

You do realise sound quality will be poor right?

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

Get yourself a good pair of analog headsets for your setup and you're set. Just set the virtual surround sound option to "on" on your sound settings. the best, most versatile virtual surround setup is attained when your sound card outputs stereo virtual surround to your headset, but looks like a 7.1 out to your operating system. Most sound cards allow you to do that, some don't, in which case, you'll have to rely on only the virtual surround the game itself provides.

Also, headsets with discreet speakers suck. Instead of getting 2 really nice drivers, you end up with a bunch of tiny, crappy tin-canny sounding drivers.

For headsets you want a quality pair of drivers and a good soundcard with a built in amp (or you want to output into a seperate amp that drives your headset).

Yagnav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Yagnav

kraken2109
Can't be worse than a Realtek 898......
Yagnav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Yagnav

Get yourself a good pair of analog headsets for your setup and you're set. Just set the virtual surround sound option to "on" on your sound settings. the best, most versatile virtual surround setup is attained when your sound card outputs stereo virtual surround to your headset, but looks like a 7.1 out to your operating system. Most sound cards allow you to do that, some don't, in which case, you'll have to rely on only the virtual surround the game itself provides.

Also, headsets with discreet speakers suck. Instead of getting 2 really nice drivers, you end up with a bunch of tiny, crappy tin-canny sounding drivers.

For headsets you want a quality pair of drivers and a good soundcard with a built in amp (or you want to output into a seperate amp that drives your headset).

Kinthalis
So you think a pair of Audio Technica AD700's with an aftermarket mic is good enough as opposed to headsets offering 5.1 & 7.1 via discrete drivers ??? Ok I was thinking along the same lines, but just that i wanted a dedicated pair for gaming, for music i'm not too worried since i exclusively use IEH's for music and have a decent sound setup for movies via the PS3. Point is I really want to take advantage of the onboard audio, so its a bit of trial and error here, might probably get an Asus Phoebus with some high end cans middle of next year.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kraken2109
[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

Yagnav

I meant the headphones not the soundcard
Yagnav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Yagnav
[QUOTE="Yagnav"][QUOTE="kraken2109"]

kraken2109

I meant the headphones not the soundcard

well hence the post....to mitigate the "worse-ness" :D It's for gaming dude, do not need it for music, for music i'm eyeing parrot ziks's at the moment :D
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

^Sure you are using it for gaming but a pair of cans that produce better sound quality for music relatively does better gaming ex. soundstage is better thus you can hear the position of the enemy easier in fps. Details will be more apparent and less muffled.

Forget about the onboard there is nothing to take advantage of, you can pump premium fuel on a ford pinto but that doesnt magically makes the car fly.

For the most part fitting many tiny drivers in a headphone doesnt make sense in such a small housing is like fitting a surround sound in a tiny bedroom or a closet. Plus the cost of those things are $1xx range, so the cost is differed into many crappier drivers instead of two good ones. Razer is not a company that produces sound equipment so I am willing to bet they outsource the headset to some unknown company to make while Audio Technica, Sennheiser, Ultrasone, Beyer, etc. makes their own cans that sound much better.

Get a seperate mic too, the cost is deferred again into tacking on a mediocre mic, a cheap clip on will already be better.

xonar dg (dolby headphone software will produce the virtual surround that you desire for gaming and is good for movies) + a good stereo cans. The others are only here to help and show you the way, not to put you down.

Yagnav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Yagnav

^Sure you are using it for gaming but a pair of cans that produce better sound quality for music relatively does better gaming ex. soundstage is better thus you can hear the position of the enemy easier in fps. Details will be more apparent and less muffled.

Forget about the onboard there is nothing to take advantage of, you can pump premium fuel on a ford pinto but that doesnt magically makes the car fly.

For the most part fitting many tiny drivers in a headphone doesnt make sense in such a small housing is like fitting a surround sound in a tiny bedroom or a closet. Plus the cost of those things are $1xx range, so the cost is differed into many crappier drivers instead of two good ones. Razer is not a company that produces sound equipment so I am willing to bet they outsource the headset to some unknown company to make while Audio Technica, Sennheiser, Ultrasone, Beyer, etc. makes their own cans that sound much better.

Get a seperate mic too, the cost is deferred again into tacking on a mediocre mic, a cheap clip on will already be better.

xonar dg (dolby headphone software will produce the virtual surround that you desire for gaming and is good for movies) + a good stereo cans. The others are only here to help and show you the way, not to put you down.

Bikouchu35
No its all good, I totally get it. The idea was surround sound without speakers. So far the AD700's sound like bang for your buck, the Sennheiser 598 is a bit on the expensive side atm. Any other recommendations for cans with good soundstage besides these 2 for the money ????
spittis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 spittis
Member since 2005 • 1875 Posts

No its all good, I totally get it. The idea was surround sound without speakers. So far the AD700's sound like bang for your buck, the Sennheiser 598 is a bit on the expensive side atm. Any other recommendations for cans with good soundstage besides these 2 for the money ????Yagnav

Fischer Audio FA-011 if you want a more fun sounding headphone with large soundstage. AD700 is supposed to be very neutral with very little bass.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
The Takstar Pro80 and Takstar Hi 2050 are supposedly the best headphones on the market for the money. Audiophiles on numerous websites are claiming that they sound better than headphones that cost hundreds more...
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
I don't know if this thread is still relevant, but these Sennheiser PC 323Ds are $159 normally, but set to go on sale in roughly 8 hours due to the cyber Monday stuff.
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Ultrasone Dj1 $ 130 < if you need isolation, closed headphones get these. One of the most fun cans ever, its not neutral sounding for say music but since is for gaming they will provide decent soundstage. Their drivers are angled apparently to give bass without sacrificing much details from the rest of the spectrum.

Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

If pinpoint positional audio is important get the AD700's. If you can stand sacrificing some positional ability for an overall more fun sounding set of cans then get the M50's.

Or if you want to accomplish mostly the same thing at a cheaper price, get a pair of rebadged Fischer's like the HM5's. Probably the most "bang for your buck" middle of the road set on the market.

Don't dump a ton of money on something else. As much of an audiophile as people like to think they are, the difference is negligible and the diminishing returns for your dollar are insane at anything above $150.