Need games that are long or have lots of replay value

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tank0oo0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tank0oo0
Member since 2004 • 79 Posts

Im preparing to go to iraq soon, im in the marines, and need some games that will last me a long time to pass some of the boring days. I like any genre, i have a terabyte external so i have plently of room for anything. My only limitations are that the games do not have extremly high system requirements, as i am running off a laptop, a decent one but still a laptop. thanks.

Ninja_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Ninja_Dog
Member since 2003 • 2615 Posts

Good luck in Iraq and stay safe.

For replay you cant beat multiplayer games. I'm not sure if you will have online access at your post.

If you do, go for Team Fortress 2. It took me a while to get into it, but once if figured things out, I can't stop playing it!

If your comp cant handle those, go for Counterstrike or World of Warcraft.

wado-karate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 wado-karate
Member since 2007 • 3831 Posts

Well, if you don't have online access at your post I'd suggest any Western-made RPG like Fable or Oblivion. Although Oblivion might be a little hard on your rig. Any game that offers a arena type gameplay offline like any of the Battlefield games for a shooter. Also, the game Operation Flashpoint, which is extremely hard to find in North America would be good. Especcially the Game of the Year Edition, it has 3 full length campaigns and a mission editor. It offered me hours of fun. I'd still be playing it if I could get my mods to work. If you can't find Operation Flashpoint, get its big brother ArmA (Or Armed Assault). It might be harder to run on your rig, and IMO its not as good as Flashpoint.

Hope that helps.

rcignoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rcignoni
Member since 2004 • 8863 Posts
Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
RT_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RT_Jackson
Member since 2003 • 3830 Posts

I'd recommend unreal tournament 2004, quake 3, baldur's gate 2, morrowind, and Civilization 4

civ4 isn't too demanding, but it needs a decent amount of cpu and ram near the end of the game

solid_mario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 solid_mario
Member since 2005 • 3144 Posts
Diablo 1 and 2 Titan Quest You really want some RPGs here because they tend to offer the longest gameplay and have the highest replay value. Or you could start doing speed runs on doom and quake :lol: Good luck in Iraq bud, stay safe.
GulliverJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GulliverJr
Member since 2005 • 552 Posts

Anything in the Civilization Series...in the recent past they released a collector's pack where you get most of the previous releases, including a great time burner, Alpha Centauri.

Concur with games in the Forgotten Realms series of AD&D games...Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale 2, Neverwinter Nights, and Neverwinter Nights 2 will serve you in good stead. If your laptop is a current buy, but just mid-range, handling of NWN2 should be well feasible.

I'd also add Dungeon Siege One and Two. I would pitch Space Siege, too, but I have not seen a review yet. The nice things about DS and DS2 is that you can always run back through the adventure with your same characters, or gen new ones and try having each focus on different power sets and skills.

I would also pitch a large driving game with a lot of content that you can play with a gamepad. I would enter with Need for Speed Most Wanted, but I'll leave others to confirm whether or not that would keep you busy long enough if it were the only thing that you were playing.

- Vr/GullJr.

Ninja_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ninja_Dog
Member since 2003 • 2615 Posts
Oh yeah! Great call solid mario. Whether or not you have access to internet, Diablo 1 and 2 are quite addicting :)
-shmelo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#9 -shmelo-
Member since 2006 • 931 Posts
Indeed internet access is a big factor. Because if you have good access I will say World of Warcraft or Battlefield 2142 (or both). If not then an elder scrolls game that best suits your specs and Diablo 2 or Dungeon Siege. If you want a single player shooter on PC thats sort of hard to get with good replay, multiplayer is key here. Or for an RTS Age of Empires 3 is fun, lots of replay in skirmish mode and it doesn't hog specs. Those games are all very enjoyable and have lots of replay value. WoW has the most but you have the fees and online access to consider.
eggdog1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 eggdog1234
Member since 2007 • 831 Posts
Vampire Bloodlines is one of the most re-playable games for me. There is just a lot of variety in the character races. And also don't underestimate a good puzzle game. Good luck overseas.
blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 blackdreamhunk
Member since 2007 • 3880 Posts
guild wars, never winter nights 2
Testify_exe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 Testify_exe
Member since 2008 • 175 Posts

Good Luck in Iraq, hope no one here gives you crap about the war ; /.

Replay value games.

Orange Box - Morrowwind - Oblivion - Battlefield 2 - Halo - Crysis

if you can't run those than stick with things like counterstrike and diablo 2

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts

StarCraft and WarCraft 3.

Good luck.

snowmanman7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 snowmanman7
Member since 2008 • 182 Posts

Morrowind, Call of Duty 4, Company of Heroes, BF2, KOTOR, and Mass Effect are good.

Good luck man.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
Morrowind.
Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

Good luck in Iraq, stay safe!

Strategy Games

Civilization 4 (It's not a huge resource hog, but if your concerned, simply get Civ 3 instead. Both are world class games with a LOT of replay ability).

Total War: Rome It got a couple of years not so it shouldn't be to rough on most machines. I'd stay clear of the later total War: Medieval 2 due to high requirements. Like Civ, it's the type of game you can spend a lot of time playing. If you grab a handful of mods a lot of time becomes a HUGE amount of time.

Hearts of Iron 2 or Europa Universalis 3: Hardcore strategy, tons of numbers and small icons so it depends on if you like that style of game. If you do it has a lot of depth. You could burn several years on one of these if you really get into them.

Warcraft 3 + Expansion and Starcraft + Expansion: Not as long lasting as the game above but a lot of fun. Good polished gameplay with an interesting story. Easier to 'pick up and play' than the titles above. In addition, if you do have an internet connection, both are still very popular multiplayer games.

Heroes of Might and Magic 4 (+expansions) or 5: Some people are not fond of the 5th game in the series so I mention 4 as an alternative. Fun and simple strategy game that's easy to pick up while still offer a lot of gameplay. Several campaigns and a number of scenarios should keep you playing for quite a while.

Shooters

Most shooters are pretty short unless you have a decent internet connection. With that in mind:

Single player: Far Cry 1: Decent length for a shooter and the relative open-endedness of the world allow for some replay value. It's an older game that looks good for it's age and as such should run pretty well on most machines.

The Orange Box - Half Life 2 + episode 1 and 2. Especially with the extra episodes there's a lot of hours of FPS goodness here. Also the engine is old enough that you should be able to run it on a low to mid range machine. If you get 'The Orange Box, you'll get the full series in addition to the brilliant Team Fortress 2 online shooter and the short but awesome portal 'mini-game'.

Role Playing Games

Baldurs Gate II + expansions - Old enough that it should run on an electrocuted cardboard box and still one of the all time greatest RPG's out there. There's a lot of hours worth of RPG in BG2 and its a safe bet requirements wise. If you like RPG's i'd say this one fits your criteria perfectly.

Diablo 2 + expansion - A Great time sink with or without internet and old enough that your safe performance wise. I believe there's a 'diablo battlechest' pack on the shelves these days that'll get you the game + expanions for $20 or so.

Titans Quest + Expansion: Probably the best diablo clone out there. It's newer than D2 and thus dosent look as old. Both games are great so its a matter of preference.

Multi-player

If you do have regular internet access the following are worth considering

MMO's

WoW - the 200 pond gorilla of the genre. for $15 a month there's enough gameplay and content to keep you at it until you're back home.

Ever Quest 2 a Solid MMO, not as popular as WoW but arguably a little more complex and if nothing else it's an alternative.

Shooter

Counter Strike: Because 10 million teenagers cant be wrong! (Ok I know thats not entirely fair). It's FPS's shooters boiled down to the basics. Your team against Their team. Lot of fun and the simple but proven formula still offers some of the the best multiplayer FPS action out there.

Team Fortress 2 - A great multiplayer team based shooter. It focuses a lot more on teamwork and coordinating with your co-players as opposed to focusing on your reflexes and accuracy.

That's what I'd recommend off-hand. If you have any questions let me/ us know. Also if you have a preferred genre, let us know, that makes it a lot easier to suggest something that'll fit your taste.

Again, best of luck over there and come home safe.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11792 Posts

Im preparing to go to iraq soon, im in the marines, and need some games that will last me a long time to pass some of the boring days. I like any genre, i have a terabyte external so i have plently of room for anything. My only limitations are that the games do not have extremly high system requirements, as i am running off a laptop, a decent one but still a laptop. thanks.

tank0oo0

say goodluck over there man.. i support the troops regardless how much i hate the government... but that being said, hmm, lets see command and conquer any of them lol, get the first decade its like 30-40 bucks and it comes with

1. command and conquer/ and its expansion pack covert operations..

2. command and conquer red alert/ and its 2 expansion packs Retaliation, and aftermath...

3. command and conquer 2 tiberium sun... and its expansion pack Firestorm

4. command and conquer red alert2/ and its expansion pack Yuri's revenge...

5. command and conquer renegade.....

6. command and conquer generals/ and its expansion pack Zero Hour....

all this for 30-40 bucks... that should keep you busy for long long time.. and best thing about it.. they really arent system hogs on the system requirements. if your computer is only a year or two old should run these games like a breeze.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Dungeon Siege 2 if you like dungeon-crawlers. 40-60 hours of gameplay.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11792 Posts
[QUOTE="tank0oo0"]

Lach0121

say goodluck over there man.. i support the troops regardless how much i hate the government... but that being said, hmm, lets see command and conquer any of them lol, get the first decade its like 30-40 bucks and it comes with

1. command and conquer/ and its expansion pack covert operations..

2. command and conquer red alert/ and its 2 expansion packs Retaliation, and aftermath...

3. command and conquer 2 tiberium sun... and its expansion pack Firestorm

4. command and conquer red alert2/ and its expansion pack Yuri's revenge...

5. command and conquer renegade.....

6. command and conquer generals/ and its expansion pack Zero Hour....

all this for 30-40 bucks... that should keep you busy for long long time.. and best thing about it.. they really arent system hogs on the system requirements. if your computer is only a year or two old should run these games like a breeze.

oh and did i mention this is all on one dvd... it comes with 2 dvd's but the second one is a bonus disc..
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#20 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Oblivion

The Witcher

Supreme Commander.

indzman