Need an objective, nostalgia-less view on Planescape Torment

#1 Posted by xxninja666xx (737 posts) -

Whenever I ask for an RPG recommendation, or look through "the best RPG of all the damn time" type of lists, I always get Planescape Torment shoved into my face. Both the article writers and the common folk on the forums basically keep jizzing all over this game, telling how good it is and how it will never be bested by anything hurr durr. While I'm really slowly starting to convince myself to actually play it for longer than 40 minutes, I can't shake the feeling of skepticism about it, and can't stop thinking that some (if not all) of those opinions are nostalgia-fueled bullshit talk, where you overlook all the blatant flaws of the game just because it keeps reminding you of the good times in your childhood/adolescence. That's why this thread exists. I need a constructive criticism about this game from someone who doesn't have nostalgic feelings about this game or can shake them off enough so they won't blind his view about it. I want to know everything about its good and its bad, whether it has an interesting story or not (from the perspective of someone who despises based hero, epic, world-saving plots) and if it aged well and still is playable for an Average Joe.

#2 Posted by dommeus (9433 posts) -

Combat's pretty awful, especially for the first couple of hours when you're weaker and don't have that many party members.

Graphics stand up surprisingly well due to the fact it's 2d.

World, music, characters, art direction, writing, story etc...all top notch.

Definitely worth giving it a go. There are mods etc. you can use to increase resolution and such.

Combat's the worst element of the game, but it is easier to overlook since it is never a focus.

#3 Edited by Renevent42 (6654 posts) -

Why? So you can validate your own personal opinion with someone else who shares it like that that would make it truth or something?

For the record I dislike Planescape...I'm not a fan of heavy story based RPG's and for me the game drags and isn't much fun to play.

#4 Posted by uninspiredcup (27689 posts) -
Loading Video...

#5 Posted by Fire_Wa11 (600 posts) -

@dommeus said:

Combat's pretty awful, especially for the first couple of hours when you're weaker and don't have that many party members.

Graphics stand up surprisingly well due to the fact it's 2d.

World, music, characters, art direction, writing, story etc...all top notch.

Definitely worth giving it a go. There are mods etc. you can use to increase resolution and such.

Combat's the worst element of the game, but it is easier to overlook since it is never a focus.

Yo, dommeus. Nice avatar. I just went and saw Flying Lotus a few weeks back. Thundercat opened up. It was pretty mesmerizing and fun right up until the last beat got dropped.

Sorry. To interrupt. I never played Planescape. I would love to see more games reward you for making thoughtful dialogue choices. Seems like Planescape had that. Derrrrrrp!

#6 Posted by xxninja666xx (737 posts) -

@Renevent42 said:

Why? So you can validate your own personal opinion with someone else who shares it like that that would make it truth or something?

Not really. I just want someone unbiased to explain to me the phenomenon of this game because I see this game everywhere, but nobody seems to explain logically why it's so great. That makes me believe that this is another "cult" thing that was cool in its day and didn't age really well, but everybody is afraid to admit it at this point (for example "The Godfather" or "Star Wars"). Also since everywhere I ask people seem to keep telling this is the best pick for me, I want to know what to expect.

#7 Edited by Renevent42 (6654 posts) -

There are dozens and dozens of reviews for this game, many of which are well worded and logically laid out as to why they enjoyed it. I think it is you who sounds biased TBH, and as I originally said, sounds more like you are just looking for people to validate and "me too!" your opinion on the game.

*edit*

If you were truly interested in why people love the game, you could read dozens of professional reviews or the hundreds of user reviews. It's not like this information is hidden...it's at your finger tips:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/planescape-torment

Just as an example...just typing "Planescape review" in google would net you tons of bother user and professional reviews, many of them very well done (even if I don't like the game myself, I can appreciate why others do), and many of them either retrospectives and even new players who didn't play it back when it was released.

You are not interested in that, though. You are just looking for people to parrot your opinion so you can feel validated like that would somehow prove the game isn't actually good, and that people only say so because of some "cult mentality", and are just to afraid to admit.

I guess these people who think they love Torment are all lucky to have you though, show them the light! :)

#8 Edited by xxninja666xx (737 posts) -

I guess I'm just gonna play it then because I can't ask for opinion without coming out as a pretentious ****, according to some people.

#9 Edited by Renevent42 (6654 posts) -

Well when you categorize the people who like it as having a cult mentality and that their opinions of the game is just nostalgia-fueled-bullshit, what exactly did you expect?

Tell me, when you have a preconception about something like that, who exactly is being biased?

#10 Edited by xxninja666xx (737 posts) -

@Renevent42 said:

Well when you categorize the people who like it as cult members and that their opinions are just nostalgia-fueled-bullshit, what exactly did you expect?

Just look at an average "best RPG" list and read about Planescape Torment. It's all superlatives and absolutely no mention of any faults. Nothing in this world is that good. I only categorize things like that as "nostalgia-fueled-bullshit" and there surely are people who can look at this game through their eyes and not rose-colored glasses, and convince me that this game, despite having actual flaws, is worth playing.

#11 Edited by Renevent42 (6654 posts) -

I don't think you've actually ever read a review for this game, because weak combat, fiddly-inventory, and pathfinding (among some other common issues), are a frequent and well known points made across many reviews.

#12 Posted by humanistpotato (555 posts) -

story: great

everything else : not good

#13 Posted by xxninja666xx (737 posts) -

@humanistpotato said:

story: great

everything else : not good

Care to elaborate on that?

#14 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

Have No Fear

Lulu's Here ! ;)

Ayt let me break it down it for ya, Planescape Torment is a game about trying to avoid the combat because that is the worst part of the game.... You do this by making decisions.... The types of decisions made available to you depend on if you meet the minimum stat requirement...

You don't even after to think about it... Any decision that requires a Stat Check is a favourable one.... Because if it wasn't people would be pissed off having to grind hours and hours of Xp just to shove it into an attribute that essentially fucks you over.

The Verdict: anything with Stats and Stat Checks sucks donkey balls and is not worth the time of anyone whos got time to spare.

You're Welcome. :)

#15 Edited by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

I feel that the last place for you to look for a non-nostalgic review or opinion of that game would be a game forum. There are plenty of reviews that are mostly objective that will mention the flaws as well (around the time the game was released).

Other than that, I feel like you're here fishing to validate how you feel about Planescape Torment. Check out some reviews, then maybe come back and discuss specific elements about the game to further expand discussion. At the moment, there isn't much of a discussion other than "it's a great game!" Or the, "I didn't like it. I don't understand why people think of it as the holy grail of CRPGs." As you can see, you're not going to get the kind of responses you were seeking for. And, it all started with the title of your thread and your disposition.

#16 Posted by xxninja666xx (737 posts) -

@Elann2008 said:

I feel that the last place for you to look for a non-nostalgic review or opinion of that game would be a game forum.

I don't think it's as bad as you make it out to be. I'm pretty sure that at least some people will make some constructive criticism on this game. Plus, I value players' opinion more because, unlike a review, they can answer my questions according to their experience.

@Elann2008 said:

There are plenty of reviews that are mostly objective that will mention the flaws as well (around the time the game was released).

The problem with the reviews for this game is that this game is old. It comes from the time when standards for gaming were different and may not mention some things because they can be annoying only to, say, people who aren't used to D&D logic, or some issues from that time because they were successfully eliminated with more advanced technology.

#17 Edited by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

@xxninja666xx said:

@Elann2008 said:

I feel that the last place for you to look for a non-nostalgic review or opinion of that game would be a game forum.

I don't think it's as bad as you make it out to be. I'm pretty sure that at least some people will make some constructive criticism on this game. Plus, I value players' opinion more because, unlike a review, they can answer my questions according to their experience.

@Elann2008 said:

There are plenty of reviews that are mostly objective that will mention the flaws as well (around the time the game was released).

The problem with the reviews for this game is that this game is old. It comes from the time when standards for gaming were different and may not mention some things because they can be annoying only to, say, people who aren't used to D&D logic, or some issues from that time because they were successfully eliminated with more advanced technology.

Fair enough, mate. =o)

For me personally, Planescape: Torment was extremely enjoyable because of the writing and the characters. I like heavy-text RPGs. It was a great journey. It wouldn't be fair to compare it to the newer D&D games, and CRPG games like Neverwinter Nights 2. But if the age of the game bothers you, I'd recommend checking out NW2, Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland 2 for your CRPG fix.

#18 Edited by HyperWarlock (3295 posts) -

@Elann2008 said:

@xxninja666xx said:

@Elann2008 said:

@Elann2008 said:

Fair enough, mate. =o)

For me personally, Planescape: Torment was extremely enjoyable because of the writing and the characters. I like heavy-text RPGs. It was a great journey. It wouldn't be fair to compare it to the newer D&D games, and CRPG games like Neverwinter Nights 2. But if the age of the game bothers you, I'd recommend checking out NW2, Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland 2 for your CRPG fix.

Absolutely. You really can't go wrong with Wasteland 2. Wonderful game and one of Kickstarters few true success stories.

*That was my first post in over a year.*

#19 Edited by xxninja666xx (737 posts) -

@Elann2008 said:

Honestly, it's not really the age of the game that bothers me the most, but rather the D&D ruleset - it gets too confusing for me at times. I've heard that Torment is the least influenced by it out of all the oldschool RPGs and even someone who doesn't know the rules can enjoy it. That's why I want to play it. I like story- and dialogue-heavy games (let's not exaggerrate, though; everything's good in moderation), so I think I'll feel at home playing it. I have a problem with the game that puts me off a little, though - in every playthrough after leaving the starting location (the lab/morgue area) and going into the city I felt lost and confused. I had no real goal or sense of direction whatsoever. Does it end quickly and after a while you're on-track or is it one of those games where you have to dig for hours and hours, talking with tons of NPCs for the actual main questline to start?

Also, how are the dialogues themselves? Are they more in a "straight to the point" fashion, where you can easily distinguish what's a key element and what's not, or are they more of a convoluted mess, where you basically trigger the quests accidentally by selecting one of 6 possible dialogue outcomes, while the remaining five can lock you out of them for good, or do some crazy stuff like making the NPC stab you in the ribs because you said something that offended him?

#20 Posted by Gamerno6666 (6143 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

The Verdict: anything with Stats and Stat Checks sucks donkey balls and is not worth the time of anyone whos got time to spare.

Shut the F up. You should be banned from the interwebs.

#21 Posted by xxninja666xx (737 posts) -

@Gamerno6666 said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Let him be. He's just misunderstood. :)

#22 Posted by Gamerno6666 (6143 posts) -
@xxninja666xx said:

@Gamerno6666 said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Let him be. He's just misunderstood. :)

Lol yeah. Well to answer your topic, umm does this help? http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/goodoldreviews/12329-Good-Old-Reviews-PlaneScape-Torment

#23 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@Gamerno6666

You'd ,miss me and you know it... :p

@xxninja666xx

No I'm not... My comprehension is just fine.

#24 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

@HyperWarlock said:

@Elann2008 said:

@xxninja666xx said:

@Elann2008 said:

@Elann2008 said:

Fair enough, mate. =o)

Absolutely. You really can't go wrong with Wasteland 2. Wonderful game and one of Kickstarters few true success stories.

*That was my first post in over a year.*

:O Welcome back, man!

I haven't seen you on Steam in a long time. I just returned to Gamespot recently. ;o)

#25 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5936 posts) -

Story is genuinely good, the gameplay is dated and not very fun to be honest. They've made a novel from the game's story, I think you're better off reading that.

#26 Edited by uninspiredcup (27689 posts) -

@xxninja666xx said:

Not really. I just want someone unbiased to explain to me the phenomenon of this game because I see this game everywhere, but nobody seems to explain logically why it's so great.

That makes me believe that this is another "cult" thing that was cool in its day and didn't age really well, but everybody is afraid to admit it at this point (for example "The Godfather" or "Star Wars"). Also since everywhere I ask people seem to keep telling this is the best pick for me, I want to know what to expect.

If anything: age has improved it. Since the 90's, video games have become increasingly like Hollywood movies and pushing towards consoles. This means simplicity and imitation.

Aside from the amnesia trope, the developers purposefully set out to do the exact opposite of expectations. Death as a mechanic, no elf' or dwarfs. Starting off "at the end" rather than the beginning of a story. Putting story and reading above dungeon crawling and combat. Companions the polar opposite of expectations with well thought out motivations (i.e. not Bioware). This is just a one of many examples of why Planescape Torment is a special game.

Unlike Bioware who now basically, make utterly derivative McDonald "burger in a bag", games thinking about the dollar signs; these guys actually analyzed and gave a shit about the craft.

Your argument here seems to be "I'm too lazy to research", therefor: I think this game is overrated.

#27 Edited by dommeus (9433 posts) -

@xxninja666xx said:

@Renevent42 said:

Well when you categorize the people who like it as cult members and that their opinions are just nostalgia-fueled-bullshit, what exactly did you expect?

Just look at an average "best RPG" list and read about Planescape Torment. It's all superlatives and absolutely no mention of any faults. Nothing in this world is that good. I only categorize things like that as "nostalgia-fueled-bullshit" and there surely are people who can look at this game through their eyes and not rose-colored glasses, and convince me that this game, despite having actual flaws, is worth playing.

The combat is ass. Dude, I mentioned this in the SECOND POST of your topic.

Not only that but the game, for better or worse, has its design firmly set in the 90's ie. quest journal can be confusing, goals aren't always clear, you can permanently **** up NPC conversations, frequent loading screens, predominantly (beautifully) written actions and dialogue, terrible 3d cutscenes etc.

#28 Edited by xxninja666xx (737 posts) -

All right, I think that's enough. Thank you for the write-ups. They were really helpful. Looks like all the "best RPG ever" buzz is based on the story alone, and it's really disappointing the gameplay seems to be mediocre at best. I'll have to think it over if I really want to play it because while I care for the story more, the gameplay is also an important factor to me.

#29 Posted by FelipeInside (28548 posts) -

@xxninja666xx said:

Ok, I think I have enough. Looks like all the "best game ever" buzz is based on story alone. Too bad the gameplay sucks ass, as I was expecting both good story and good gameplay. I'll think it over if I really want to play it. Thank you for your help.

The gameplay is fine. People say it sux cause it was inferior to games like Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale, but it isn't awful either.

What you should worry more about is things like the UI, the old mechanics etc.... if you play it today it hasn't aged well.

#30 Edited by xxninja666xx (737 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

The gameplay is fine. People say it sux cause it was inferior to games like Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale, but it isn't awful either.

What you should worry more about is things like the UI, the old mechanics etc.... if you play it today it hasn't aged well.

I hope you are aware that there's a slight difference between "functional" and "fine"? I also hope you're not confusing the former with the latter here.

True, UI and dated mechanics can prove difficult to me, but I think as long as everything is arranged in a logical manner I can manage. Are there any things I should especially care about but are easy to miss, or stuff like that?

#31 Posted by HyperWarlock (3295 posts) -

@Elann2008 said:

:O Welcome back, man!

I haven't seen you on Steam in a long time. I just returned to Gamespot recently. ;o)

Thanks man, glad to be back. Only thing I miss is my level and little title that came with it. Shame they're gone!

#32 Posted by FelipeInside (28548 posts) -

@xxninja666xx said:

@FelipeInside said:

I hope you are aware that there's a slight difference between "functional" and "fine"? I also hope you're not confusing the former with the latter here.

True, UI and dated mechanics can prove difficult to me, but I think as long as everything is arranged in a logical manner I can manage. Are there any things I should especially care about but are easy to miss, or stuff like that?

Gameplay is totally functional.

What I meant by dated UI is some of it's mechanics. For example modern RPGs let you pick up stuff by just clicking on it. With Torment you have to click on the item, then click on the function wheel, then click on pick up. 3 clicks for each time. Stuff like that might piss you off, don't know.

#33 Edited by xxninja666xx (737 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

What I meant by dated UI is some of it's mechanics. For example modern RPGs let you pick up stuff by just clicking on it. With Torment you have to click on the item, then click on the function wheel, then click on pick up. 3 clicks for each time. Stuff like that might piss you off, don't know.

If it's only stuff like that, then it's no biggie. I thought that maybe Torment does something entirely different than "your typical RPG" and I would be confused about it.

#34 Edited by bussinrounds (2980 posts) -

It's an Infinity engine game. Have you not played a BG or IWD game ? If so, then you know how it plays, pretty much.

And when ppl say the story is great, it's not just the main plot, but the writing in general (characters, dialogs, descriptions, ect..) choices and consequences, the music, the setting, the atmosphere.....all of this = 'story' elements.

It's nice to have the Planescape d&d books too, which expands even more on things that are dealt with in the game, if you'd like to dig even deeper into the setting.

Looks really nice, when modded also.

http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.com/2009/01/planescape-torment-fully-modded.html

http://www.gog.com/news/mod_spotlight_planescape_torment_mods_guide

I would advise against installing the 'explore city areas' option in the tweek pack though. It removed the fog of war from the maps for me and kinda spoiled the exploration aspect.

#35 Posted by cyborg100000 (2905 posts) -
@xxninja666xx said:

All right, I think that's enough. Thank you for the write-ups. They were really helpful. Looks like all the "best RPG ever" buzz is based on the story alone, and it's really disappointing the gameplay seems to be mediocre at best. I'll have to think it over if I really want to play it because while I care for the story more, the gameplay is also an important factor to me.

I get the feeling you knew already that Planescape's rather weak on game-play but trumps where it comes to characters, setting, plot and writing. I first played the game in 2010 and became really immersed in the world and enjoyed the experience - and the few reviews and comments I read made it clear of the flaws of the game. Fact is, it does contain the best writing and non-clichéd characters you'll ever come across in an RPG. it diluted Skyrim for me as it exxagerated the mediocre story's and bland, forgetful characters. Same with even The Witcher 1 & 2. I don't think games ALWAYS need heavy gameplay to succeed, some games transition more into interactive visual books and that can be fine. The Walking Dead comes to mind too.

#36 Posted by xxninja666xx (737 posts) -

@cyborg100000 said:

I get the feeling you knew already that Planescape's rather weak on game-play but trumps where it comes to characters, setting, plot and writing.

I did know about the praise on the writing part, but I didn't really know about the weak gameplay. I've always thought that it was considered "the best ever" because it had the gameplay part on par with the likes of Baldur's Gate, while distinguishing itself with a more original story and setting.

#37 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@xxninja666xx

It the same thing with LA Noire, its only saving grace is its Investigations... The rest of the game was pure rockstar trash. And you know what... Its totally worth it.... Can't say the same for Planescape Torment..... You know... Because Stats. Thats pure Bioware/Black Isle Trash.

#38 Posted by Planeforger (17659 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@xxninja666xx

It the same thing with LA Noire, its only saving grace is its Investigations... The rest of the game was pure rockstar trash. And you know what... Its totally worth it.... Can't say the same for Planescape Torment..... You know... Because Stats. Thats pure Bioware/Black Isle Trash.

Lulu, you keep posting in this thread as if you know what you're talking about...but you clearly haven't played the game.

@xxninja666xx said:

@cyborg100000 said:

I get the feeling you knew already that Planescape's rather weak on game-play but trumps where it comes to characters, setting, plot and writing.

I did know about the praise on the writing part, but I didn't really know about the weak gameplay. I've always thought that it was considered "the best ever" because it had the gameplay part on par with the likes of Baldur's Gate, while distinguishing itself with a more original story and setting.

Torment was part of the 'holy trinity' of DnD games in the late 90s/early 00s.

- Torment focused on its excellent writing/story/setting/characters/roleplaying (with relatively weak combat - it's still a solid party-based RPG full of great magic spells and a wide variety of enemies to fight).

- Icewind Dale focused on its excellent gameplay (with weak storytelling) - it featured some of the best dungeon exploration for this style of game.

- Baldurs Gate 2 balanced the two - good story/setting/characters, very good gameplay, tons of both.

So sure, on paper, Baldurs Gate 2 may 'objectively' be the finest high fantasy RPG ever made...but it didn't excel at story or gameplay compared to the other two games. Many people ended up preferring Torment because its writing/setting/plot is unmatched - and whatever faults the combat had, they weren't the focus of the game.

In any case, Torment didn't have "weak gameplay". It simply had ^relatively^ weak gameplay in the context of those other two, more heavily-combat oriented games made on the same engine. There's nothing to particularly dislike about the combat. It isn't like...say, The Witcher 1, where many people hated the combat but struggled through it to keep the plot going. Instead, Torment's combat is functional, occasionally interesting, and generally "fine".

#39 Posted by illmatic87 (17933 posts) -

The writing is excellent. However, subjectively speaking, I dont think the plot is the greatest in videogames like many claim it to be. The way its final events unfolded just seems like something that would have divided opinions had it been a novel or film; it makes me think that much of the praise of its narrative comes from those that haven't even played it.

Regardless, the setting and characters was the star of the show for me. The combat is solid to the point where it's comfortable in its own skin and doesnt try to punch above its weight, unlike say, Morrowind or the original Witcher.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
#40 Posted by ShepardCommandr (4939 posts) -

It's a horrible outdated experience with horrible and outdated gameplay.

There are many better RPGs out there right now.

#41 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@Planeforger

I'l do you one better... I know the Design ! :p

#42 Edited by uninspiredcup (27689 posts) -

@illmatic87 said:

The writing is excellent. However, subjectively speaking, I dont think the plot is the greatest in videogames like many claim it to be. The way its final events unfolded just seems like something that would have divided opinions had it been a novel or film; it makes me think that much of the praise of its narrative comes from those that haven't even played it.

I doubt that. The plot without playing it is fairly difficult to sum up. Simply saying "amnesia" would be a disservice.

Similar ideas have been done using the amnesia mechanics. In the case of (highly overrated) KOTOR is more or less a simple plot twist "you are the bad guy". Kotor 2 is more sophisticated (and better) with "Kreia" like Ravel trying to discover the nature of a man.

In Planescape a lot more is happening than either of these games. I would imagine people "divided" probably went in with certain expectations. Planescape Torment made an active and consistent attempt to be the polar opposite of that.

You look at something praised now like "Last Of Us". That is completely predicable cliche Hollywood fodder. It's easy for a mainstream audience to approach and praise it. Likewise with countless praised modern games such as Mass Effect. Or Dragon Age.

People being divided is a good thing. I'd much rather than "an ancient threat returns, turning inhabitants in zombies". Which is basically pretty Dragon Age and Mass Effect. Uninspired shit in comparison to PT in my eyes.

#43 Edited by bussinrounds (2980 posts) -

@ShepardCommandr said:

It's a horrible outdated experience with horrible and outdated gameplay.

There are many better RPGs out there right now.

Let me guess, the bad Babylon 5 ripoff with typical Bioware rehashed characters, themes , plot devices, dumbed down RPG mechanics and AWESOME ACTION shootan, Mr. Shepard ?

(and blue alien sex)

#44 Edited by uninspiredcup (27689 posts) -

@xxninja666xx said:

The story is the gameplay. The players choices dictate the story: Therefor it is game play.

Just because it's not primarily a combat game: Doesn't make it "not" have gameplay. If you want an action based CRPG - they also made the Icewind Dale, one series of the best.

#45 Posted by attirex (1434 posts) -

Necro thread is necro-ed.

#46 Edited by xantufrog (9458 posts) -

I agree with uninspiredcup - the gameplay is bad from the perspective of the action-based crpg generation, but not from a pure role-playing game perspective. It's not a glorified hack'n'slash like a lot of RPGs are now. It definitely is not for everyone. It's slow and an absolutely story-driven experience. For people who want that - yes it is one of the best RPGs of all time. No nostalgia - it just delivers that in droves. For people who don't, it can fall way short. So it's not really defensible for people who aren't looking for that type of game, IMO. It is aimed at a very specific taste