Nat type, COD Ghosts?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SystemsGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 SystemsGO
Member since 2011 • 1285 Posts

How can I change my NAT type to open? Through all of the looking around I've done there doesn't seem to be a sure-fire way to do so, without encountering the strict NAT type issue later on.

Here is scenario. I recently moved, and was told I couldn't get Internet Service, but my neighbor(my in-laws) get service, so we are bumming off of them using WIFI. Now, I have a strict NAT type on every game I play, most recently COD Ghosts. How can I fix this problem with certainty? Am I going to have to go tinker with their router?

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By DIV1D3
Member since 2013 • 139 Posts

You have to change the routers settings. First of all you need permission to do so, then go to the routers home page (it'll be some numbers with dots in there). When you've gotten to that you have to go to gaming settings (depending on the router company) and change the NAT type to open as well as turning UPnP off, or on, I can't remember since I got a new router and it has a default open NAT.

I hope I helped!

Edit: If your in-laws have a modem router than your fine but if you have them separate than you have to go to the modem's page.

Telstra routers: 10.0.0.138

Search for the companies router home page if it isn't Telstra.

SystemsGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SystemsGO
Member since 2011 • 1285 Posts

@DIV1D3: I'm sure I would have permission to do so from them, and also, I bought the router for them. It's a WD router, so yeah, I have to go through the homepage. I'll have to fool with that tomorrow when I can get the username and password from them.

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DIV1D3

@SystemsGO: Well than, everything should be good. Unless they haven't changed the username or password already than it is admin and admin for all new modems and routers.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@SystemsGO said:

@DIV1D3: I'm sure I would have permission to do so from them, and also, I bought the router for them. It's a WD router, so yeah, I have to go through the homepage. I'll have to fool with that tomorrow when I can get the username and password from them.

Just to clarify, putting your NAT to open is very dangerous since it leaves your PC outside the NAT and open to all attacks.

When the NAT says MODERATE then it's fine.

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DIV1D3

@FelipeInside: Yes, moderate is fine, though even sometimes with a moderate NAT you can encounter some problems with joining friends with bad connections. Try to use a moderate if possible, if not than you can have it at open. Just make sure you look at who has accessed the wi-fi at least once a week, even if you have a moderate NAT. What's the security deference anyhow?

If you haven't got internet security than you definitely should. I've got Tend Micro Titanium.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@SystemsGO: I'm too lazy to type what needs to be done, so just follow this guide.

http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/Call_of_Duty_-_Ghosts/default.htm

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FelipeInside

@DIV1D3 said:

@FelipeInside: Yes, moderate is fine, though even sometimes with a moderate NAT you can encounter some problems with joining friends with bad connections. Try to use a moderate if possible, if not than you can have it at open. Just make sure you look at who has accessed the wi-fi at least once a week, even if you have a moderate NAT. What's the security deference anyhow?

If you haven't got internet security than you definitely should. I've got Tend Micro Titanium.

Having your NAT open has nothing to do with who accesses your Wifi.

Opening your NAT means opening all your ports to your PC (also called DMZ). Each router handles it differently but basically your router is your line of defense against attacks from the Internet. Opening the NAT puts your computer outside that line.

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DIV1D3

@FelipeInside: Hmm, didn't know that, but what attacks? Malware or viruses? I run Tend Micro almost ever 3 days and only about 2-3 compressed supposedly "dangerous" files every month, nothing harmful probably just corrupted files from games or programs.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FelipeInside

@DIV1D3 said:

@FelipeInside: Hmm, didn't know that, but what attacks? Malware or viruses? I run Tend Micro almost ever 3 days and only about 2-3 compressed supposedly "dangerous" files every month, nothing harmful probably just corrupted files from games or programs.

Port attacks mostly.

What do you mean "run Trend Micro every 3 days?" as in scan your PC?

You don't really need to scan your PC every 3 days as long as Trend Micro is resident and actively scanning.

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DIV1D3

@FelipeInside said:

@DIV1D3 said:

Port attacks mostly.

You don't really need to scan your PC every 3 days as long as Trend Micro is resident and actively scanning.

Almost, I actually try to do it every week. I don't go to dangerous sites but I just feel secure when I run a scan and it says it's running normally. I feel even better when it deletes files. For some reason I always want to delete unused or not needed files. Like for example I run Windows disk cleanup almost every time I use my PC just so when it is done I can delete 20MBs of unused files :). Idk, but I get some satisfaction when I do so.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FelipeInside

@DIV1D3 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@DIV1D3 said:

Port attacks mostly.

Almost, I actually try to do it every week. I don't go to dangerous sites but I just feel secure when I run a scan and it says it's running normally. I feel even better when it deletes files. For some reason I always want to delete unused or not needed files. Like for example I run Windows disk cleanup almost every time I use my PC just so when it is done I can delete 20MBs of unused files :). Idk, but I get some satisfaction when I do so.

You're overdoing it, and sometimes that can lead to more problems than it solves.

Just put Trend Micro to run a scan automatically, why waste time doing it manually? That was back with Windows 98.

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DIV1D3

@FelipeInside: Lol, ik. It's a habit I have and I probably should stop. It's just that my computer has to be on when the time I have programmed it to scan my PC. If it's not turned on than it doesn't scan so I have to do it manually.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FelipeInside

@DIV1D3 said:

@FelipeInside: Lol, ik. It's a habit I have and I probably should stop. It's just that my computer has to be on when the time I have programmed it to scan my PC. If it's not turned on than it doesn't scan so I have to do it manually.

Not really. Most antivirus programs these days have an option that says "if computer off when scan is scheduled, run scan next time computer is turned on"

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DIV1D3

@FelipeInside: Really, that sucks, mine doesn't :(.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

LOL. You bought Ghosts for the PC? What an idiot.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FelipeInside

@airshocker said:

LOL. You bought Ghosts for the PC? What an idiot.

Works fine for me, although I should have probably waited since it's come down in price.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

It's operational status isn't what I'm referring to. Supporting CoD for the PC is like sticking a gigantic middle-finger up at the rest of the PC community. We've given up on that series for a very good reason(and the sales on the PC show this).

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FelipeInside

@airshocker said:

It's operational status isn't what I'm referring to. Supporting CoD for the PC is like sticking a gigantic middle-finger up at the rest of the PC community. We've given up on that series for a very good reason(and the sales on the PC show this).

Well I don't have a console so how else am I going to play COD?

Saying that, I might not buy the next one or at least wait for a good price drop. The SP is what I enjoy most anyway.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@FelipeInside said:

@airshocker said:

Saying that, I might not buy the next one or at least wait for a good price drop. The SP is what I enjoy most anyway.

You could stop playing it entirely. You wouldn't be missing much.

Continuing to support the franchise is a horrible idea. Your wallet will thank me.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@airshocker said:

@FelipeInside said:

@airshocker said:

Continuing to support the franchise is a horrible idea. Your wallet will thank me.

or you know, some people might like the game

with that said, just enable upnp in your router settings

you can enable DMZ if you want, your computer has a firewall too

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@airshocker said:

@FelipeInside said:

@airshocker said:

My dog likes eating his own shit. What people like and what should be supported aren't the same things.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FelipeInside

@airshocker said:

My dog likes eating his own shit. What people like and what should be supported aren't the same things.

I'm sure there are games YOU play that other people think are bad, but you don't see us saying they are shit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@FelipeInside said:

@airshocker said:

I'm sure there are games YOU play that other people think are bad, but you don't see us saying they are shit.

You're missing the point.

Croag821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Croag821
Member since 2009 • 2331 Posts

@airshocker said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@airshocker said:

@FelipeInside said:

@airshocker said:

Jeeze man seriously? It's a f'ing video game, who the hell are you to think you can tell people what type of video games they should buy?!?!

You need to go outside and get some fresh air if you take gaming that serious haha.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FelipeInside

@airshocker said:

@FelipeInside said:

@airshocker said:

Well what's the point then?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Croag821 said:

@airshocker said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@airshocker said:

@FelipeInside said:

@airshocker said:

Jeeze man seriously? It's a f'ing video game, who the hell are you to think you can tell people what type of video games they should buy?!?!

You need to go outside and get some fresh air if you take gaming that serious haha.

A person with an opinion who doesn't much care what you think haha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@FelipeInside said:

@airshocker said:

@FelipeInside said:

@airshocker said:

Just because he likes eating shit doesn't mean that he should.

I'll be honest, if EA had pulled the shit that CoD developers have, I'd have stopped playing Battlefield. Despite liking the series and having always played them.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FelipeInside

@airshocker said:
@FelipeInside said:

@airshocker said:

@FelipeInside said:

@airshocker said:

I'll be honest, if EA had pulled the shit that CoD developers have, I'd have stopped playing Battlefield. Despite liking the series and having always played them.

What shit are u talking about?

BF is also nearly a yearly release now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@FelipeInside said:

@airshocker said:
@FelipeInside said:

@airshocker said:

@FelipeInside said:

@airshocker said:

What shit are u talking about?

BF is also nearly a yearly release now.

CoD.

That's not what I'm referring to but when it does, you let me know. I'm referring to the utter disregard the CoD devs have shown for PC gamers. You already have the previous thread to refresh your memory on what they did so I see no need to list them all again.

EA/DICE hasn't done any of that to us.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FelipeInside

@airshocker said:

CoD.

That's not what I'm referring to but when it does, you let me know. I'm referring to the utter disregard the CoD devs have shown for PC gamers. You already have the previous thread to refresh your memory on what they did so I see no need to list them all again.

Still don't know what ur on about. I mentioned functionality, you said no. I mentioned fun game, you said no. I mentioned yearly release, you said no.

Btw, EA is soooooooooo nice to PC gamers..... lol

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

why are you guys even posting in his thread?

he didn't ask for your opinion on his game choice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@FelipeInside said:

@airshocker said:

CoD.

Still don't know what ur on about. I mentioned functionality, you said no. I mentioned fun game, you said no. I mentioned yearly release, you said no.

Btw, EA is soooooooooo nice to PC gamers..... lol

That's only because your reading comprehension is abysmal. I mean, seriously. Pick up a dictionary and go through my posts VERY slowly. It's already painful to have to use a 10th grade vocabulary with you and I'm not going to degenerate further.

DICE is far better to PC gamers than whoever developed CoD the past five times on the PC.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FelipeInside

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

why are you guys even posting in his thread?

he didn't ask for your opinion on his game choice

Very true Jiggs. I again got caught up in the ridiculous posts from airshocker.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

^ lol

The only thing that's ridiculous is how bad you are at understanding what other people write.