My Watch Dogs moan

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

I just want to play the game dammit. Here's what happens when I do.

and yes I've tried disabling SLI, tried everything.

Fed up with waiting for patches! This is just a vent thread, join me wont you....

zanelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2 zanelli  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 1222 Posts

Hmm looks like this it could be to do with data streaming. Have you got this installed on your SSD?

I've seen this happen on some open world games that are installed on slower drives.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

I'd suggest you to try different driver but I don't think you're a noobie about such things so, meh, it's a broken mess.

7MDMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By 7MDMA
Member since 2014 • 315 Posts

There are definetely some solutions for you to consider. I've managed to optimize my Watchdogs experience a ton and even enhance it to boot.

• Firstly, dont even bother downloading any official Ubisoft patches; if you have already, roll-back as they manage to make the stuttering even worse.
  • Find one of the unofficial unlocks or "mods" such as the "worse mod" that will add certain settings that were disabled in the vanilla version to your game http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/watch_dogs_theworse_mod_8_download.html. I'm not sure about the latest version (this) but the one I use was an earlier version and it drastically reduced stutter while adding things like headlight shadows, nicer bloom and bokeh DOF (which is a matter of taste for some) and denser weather effects and lights. Basically, it enhanced my game visually and erased most of the stutter at the same time, as absurb as that seems. I've got my patch files that optimized my game if those dont work for you.
  • You absolutely have to have textures on high to mitigate stutter. It's also important to set LOD on high. The other settings aren't so important.
  • Press start, search, device manager, click on disk drives and your hard drive, click on policies and make sure write caching is enabled on the device.
  • Press start, search, %TEMP% and remove everything.
  • Defragment your Watchdogs folder or entire hard-drive.
  • Run a registry cleaner like CCleaner.
  • Make sure there's no unessential crap running in task manager before your run Watchdogs.

Hopefully this will optimize your game, even to some extent and apologies in advance if you've tried all that and still struggling with stuttering. To be honest, the problem still hasn't been 100 % eliminated on my side but it's barely noticeable anymore.

-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-579f651eab962

@7mdma said:

There are definetely some solutions for you to consider. I've managed to optimize my Watchdogs experience a ton and even enhance it to boot.

• Firstly, dont even bother downloading any official Ubisoft patches; if you have already, roll-back as they manage to make the stuttering even worse.
  • Find one of the unofficial unlocks or "mods" such as the "worse mod" that will add certain settings that were disabled in the vanilla version to your game http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/watch_dogs_theworse_mod_8_download.html. I'm not sure about the latest version (this) but the one I use was an earlier version and it drastically reduced stutter while adding things like headlight shadows, nicer bloom and bokeh DOF (which is a matter of taste for some) and denser weather effects and lights. Basically, it enhanced my game visually and erased most of the stutter at the same time, as absurb as that seems. I've got my patch files that optimized my game if those dont work for you.
  • You absolutely have to have textures on high to mitigate stutter. It's also important to set LOD on high. The other settings aren't so important.
  • Press start, search, device manager, click on disk drives and your hard drive, click on policies and make sure write caching is enabled on the device.
  • Press start, search, %TEMP% and remove everything.
  • Defragment your Watchdogs folder or entire hard-drive.
  • Run a registry cleaner like CCleaner.
  • Make sure there's no unessential crap running in task manager before your run Watchdogs.

Hopefully this will optimize your game, even to some extent and apologies in advance if you've tried all that and still struggling with stuttering. To be honest, the problem still hasn't been 100 % eliminated on my side but it's barely noticeable anymore.

-

^I bet Ubi support told you that.^

It's installed on my 500GB Evo, tried different drivers (obviously). I did use the "worse mod" before the current patch but it didn't help the stuttering. This is a fresh install of windows about 3 weeks ago, it's not the OS or fragmentation *SSD.

I've spent many hours with the game and i'm not even into 2nd mission, spent more time fiddling with it than playing the bloody thing.

Shame on you UBISOFT.......shame on you.

Reaction GIF: facepalm, disappointed, Conan O'Brien

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@klunt_bumskrint: I had a similar issue on my AMD 7990 using the beta 14.6 drivers. I realize you are probably on Nvidia since you said SLI, but the issue I had looked pretty much exactly like what I see in that video. Backing off to the earlier 14.4 drivers fixed it for me.

-Byshop

zanelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7 zanelli  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 1222 Posts

I've read some people have fixed this problem by using the boarderless windowed mode with Nvidia cards. Might be worth giving a go, if you haven't already.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-579f651eab962

@zanelli said:

I've read some people have fixed this problem by using the boarderless windowed mode with Nvidia cards. Might be worth giving a go, if you haven't already.

Have already Zan, thanks anyway

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

ooo! I couldn't even finish the video. That was painful. :( Sorry to see this happen to you, man!

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

Hello Klunt_Bumskrint.

This reminds me a lot my stuttering when I was overloading Skyrim with visual mods. My GTX570 with the 1280MB VRAM couldn't handle it. Lots of stuttering when the game was reaching VRAM's limit.

I noticed that just by changin a few things (droppin the VRAM usage to 1150-1200MB) the game was running smoothly.

Since I guess you are using the same program that I use too to monitor VRAM (MSI afterburner or you are using FRAPS...), have you tried to reduce the settings in order to use around 2700-2800MB VRAM? (I assume you have 3072MB, 780 or 780ti)

If this doesn't help, try Watch_Dogs - TheWorse Mod 0.97 Download

People reporting that it removes stuttering, so it might worth a try too.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Turn down to high settings?

Ultra requires 3GB at 1080, no?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Mine seems fine even though I have a "crap" CPU, unmodded Ultra, not to mention the game is running off a 2009 SATA WD "Green" HDD.

Loading Video...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-579f651eab962

@Chatch09: Don't even go there.

@horgen: 1440 FTW

I've tried the latest worse mod (0.97c) does seem to help a bit on single gpu but not on SLI

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

@klunt_bumskrint: Have you tried lowering the visuals in order to use less VRAM? :P

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Stupid question, but how the hell do you manage to drive so well with all the stuttering?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

was gonna say use the E3 mod, but looks like you already did. That contains a bunch of stutter and texture fixes

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Did you try disabling your overlay?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-579f651eab962

@JigglyWiggly_: Yep

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

wow, the issue looks exactly like buffering video on a slow internet connection!! surely someone else out there has encountered this issue