My PlayStation three HDD got wiped after i plugged it to my PC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ClassicRockFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ClassicRockFTW
Member since 2012 • 1106 Posts
I sont understand how this happened. I plugged in my hdd out of curiosity and now its gone. Does it have something to do with it beig fat32 ?
nilzg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nilzg
Member since 2008 • 753 Posts
nope it has nothing to do with the FAT32 fact. What exactly did your computer say? Did your pc say that the disk isn't ready and then asked you if you want to format it?
ClassicRockFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ClassicRockFTW

nope it has nothing to do with the FAT32 fact. What exactly did your computer say? Did your pc say that the disk isn't ready and then asked you if you want to format it?nilzg

i didnt format it, all i did was plug it in to look at the various files

but my PC couldnt read the HDD even though it detected it

so i plugged it back to the ps3 and now its gone

nilzg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nilzg
Member since 2008 • 753 Posts
so your pc didn't say anything besides that it couldn't find it, yes? what it should do next is plug it back in my pc and search for it in http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/disk-management-windows-7.htm that.. If you do not find it come back to here
ClassicRockFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ClassicRockFTW

so your pc didn't say anything besides that it couldn't find it, yes? what it should do next is plug it back in my pc and search for it in http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/disk-management-windows-7.htm that.. If you do not find it come back to herenilzg

nevermind i just restarted it whole, still didnt recover my data

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
It's common knowledge that as soon as you plug the HDD into a different machine that the PS3 will not accept it anymore and will consider it tampered with. The PS3 file system is encrypted and even it wasn't it will use a file system not supported on Windows and when you plug it back into the PS3 it basically says "Nope, the HDD was removed therefore I will not accept anything on it even if it looks the same as before" and will be formatted automatically.
ClassicRockFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ClassicRockFTW
It's common knowledge that as soon as you plug the HDD into a different machine that the PS3 will not accept it anymore and will consider it tampered with. The PS3 file system is encrypted and even it wasn't it will use a file system not supported on Windows and when you plug it back into the PS3 it basically says "Nope, the HDD was removed therefore I will not accept anything on it even if it looks the same as before" and will be formatted automatically.JohnF111
oh fvck. I wish i knew this sooner
kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

this is why they give u a backup utility on the ps3......why u no google this before hand?

ClassicRockFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ClassicRockFTW

this is why they give u a backup utility on the ps3......why u no google this before hand?

kungfool69

i dont know, the xbox doesnt delete everything you've had for 5 years when you plug the hdd in your pc

JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10 JimmyJumpy
Member since 2008 • 2554 Posts

[QUOTE="kungfool69"]

ClassicRockFTW

i dont know, the xbox doesnt delete everything you've had for 5 years when you plug the hdd in your pc

That's why they have different names, because it's different machines...

Of course, talk is easy with hindsight.  But, now you know...

ClassicRockFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ClassicRockFTW

[QUOTE="ClassicRockFTW"]

[QUOTE="kungfool69"]

JimmyJumpy

So then what are we arguing about?

All im saying is that it didnt have to do that

JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JimmyJumpy

[QUOTE="JimmyJumpy"]

[QUOTE="ClassicRockFTW"]

ClassicRockFTW

We're not going to start talking in circles now, are we.  Yes, the PS3 "had to do that" since it was built with the instructions to wipe its hard drive when that hard drive has been removed, added to a Windows machine and then plugged into the PS3 again...

I have the same thing with a decoder for digital TV from Belgacom (Belgian phone company which also provides Internet and HD TV).  That decoder contains an easy to remove 500GB hard drive to record TV programs.  That hard drive reacts the same way.  When removed and plugged into a Windows machine and then put back in the decoder, the decoder wipes the hard drive clean and reformats it through online software...

Only difference is that I first informed myself about the hows and whats of that decoder.  I still took it out since there was nothing on the drive I would miss if it got wiped...

ClassicRockFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ClassicRockFTW

[QUOTE="ClassicRockFTW"]

[QUOTE="JimmyJumpy"]

JimmyJumpy

We're not going to start talking in circles now, are we.  Yes, the PS3 "had to do that" since it was built with the instructions to wipe its hard drive when that hard drive has been removed, added to a Windows machine and then plugged into the PS3 again...

I have the same thing with a decoder for digital TV from Belgacom (Belgian phone company which also provides Internet and HD TV).  That decoder contains an easy to remove 500GB hard drive to record TV programs.  That hard drive reacts the same way.  When removed and plugged into a Windows machine and then put back in the decoder, the decoder wipes the hard drive clean and reformats it through online software...

Only difference is that I first informed myself about the hows and whats of that decoder.  I still took it out since there was nothing on the drive I would miss if it got wiped...

Ok so whats your point?

There's no benefit of removing your customer's data, especially in a personal device like a console

JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JimmyJumpy

[QUOTE="JimmyJumpy"]

[QUOTE="ClassicRockFTW"]

ClassicRockFTW

Ok so whats your point?

There's no benefit of removing your customer's data, especially in a personal device like a console

What do you mean "what's your point"...?  You started this topic, didn't you?  You're the one who took the HDD out of his PS3, plugged it into a Windows machine and then re-plugged it into the PS3 and the data is gone... which is normal, since the PS3 is set to do that out of precaution.

Still, you persist in asking why it happened...

As far as "benefits" go, there's also no benefit in taking out the hard drive and plugging it into a computer.  The reason why PS3 wipes a removed hard drive is to prevent malicious software from harming the console...

Anyway, we had our "fun"... I'm not going to take this discussion any further, since your question was answered. And next time, RTFM!!

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

[QUOTE="JimmyJumpy"]

[QUOTE="ClassicRockFTW"]

ClassicRockFTW

Ok so whats your point?

dont you dare bring Xbox 360 into this. It has no way of connecting the hard drive directly to a PC without opening things your not supposed to under the user guidelines. Each machine includes backup utilities. Use common sense next time to obtain a set of instructions on how to do things you dont understand.

/thread

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="JimmyJumpy"]

[QUOTE="ClassicRockFTW"]

ClassicRockFTW

Ok so whats your point?

The benefit, from Sony's standpoint, is security. Obviously,  you  didn't do anything to hack the information on your HDD is some way, but others might. And that is why the PS3 does that. 

The  point,  on the other hand, is that you shouldn't have tried to do that without reading up on it first. And if did do it without checking, be prepared for anything.

ClassicRockFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ClassicRockFTW

Is there a way to recover the data?

JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JimmyJumpy

ClassicRockFTW

Yes, with software like GetDataBack... but that shoukd be done on a PC, which would bring you back to square one...

ClassicRockFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ClassicRockFTW

[QUOTE="ClassicRockFTW"]

JimmyJumpy

Yes, with software like GetDataBack... but that shoukd be done on a PC, which would bring you back to square one...

so theres no way

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

This is why i regularly back up my PS3 saves to a USB drive

kungfool69

Forum Posts