My FPS While Recording is Worse Than With My Old GPU?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Maverick6585
#1 Edited by Maverick6585 (220 posts) -

Hey guys, I just upgraded from an NVIDIA GT 630 to a Radeon R7 250. My performance in all games has shot up as expected. However, I went from being able to record at around 30 FPS, to all games recording at around 16 FPS, regardless of the game, framerate while not recording, or recording software used. I've tried FRAPS, Dxtory, and OBS, but none of them work.

My new R7 is superior in every way to my 630, except for bus width. They are identical at x128. The GT 630 has 2 GB of VRAM, but it is DDR3, so the 1 gig of GDDR5 in the R7 should easily beat it.

My processor is a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2.4 GHz quad core, and I've got 6 gigs of RAM. I realize that my system is older, but it's always worked for me.

Avatar image for GTR12
#2 Posted by GTR12 (12956 posts) -

@Maverick6585:

Clock that CPU higher, its really holding you back, you can get to 3Ghz with tape mod method, or you can OC to 3.4Ghz if you got the G0 stepping, that should help your recording.

Avatar image for Maverick6585
#3 Edited by Maverick6585 (220 posts) -

@GTR12 said:

@Maverick6585:

Clock that CPU higher, its really holding you back, you can get to 3Ghz with tape mod method, or you can OC to 3.4Ghz if you got the G0 stepping, that should help your recording.

My BIOS is locked, so I'm unable to overclock the correct way. It's a consumer PC that I got for free, and upgraded for gaming (don't have the money for a build yet). I've never heard of the tape method. I'll do some research and let you know if I try it, and what the results are.

UPDATE: Well that didn't work. Why did you make me do that :(

Regardless, this is that same CPU I was using to record before. The only change is the GPU. I don't understand why a superior GPU isn't recording properly (and on another note, it's not running BF4 as well as the GT 630 card did).

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
#4 Edited by PfizersaurusRex (1137 posts) -

Did you use Nvidia Shadowplay with GT 630? Shadowplay uses hardware encoder that is featured on Nvidia chips 600 series and newer, so there's no performance hit when you record your gameplay.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
#5 Posted by deactivated-579f651eab962 (5404 posts) -

@Maverick6585: Did you post this in the Furious PC Gaming Rig's facebook page?

Avatar image for Maverick6585
#6 Posted by Maverick6585 (220 posts) -

@PfizersaurusRex said:

Did you use Nvidia Shadowplay with GT 630? Shadowplay uses hardware encoder that is featured on Nvidia chips 600 series and newer, so there's no performance hit when you record your gameplay.

No, Shadowplay is with the 660 up. I used Fraps.

Avatar image for 04dcarraher
#7 Edited by 04dcarraher (22915 posts) -

With Fraps its best to have a dedicated harddrive for it.

Then for your Q6600 you can do the tape mod to get it at 3ghz

Avatar image for Maverick6585
#8 Posted by Maverick6585 (220 posts) -

@04dcarraher said:

With Fraps its best to have a dedicated harddrive for it.

Then for your Q6600 you can do the tape mod to get it at 3ghz

I'm going to pick up another hard drive when I get a chance, but just the one was working perfectly fine before.

I tried the tape mod. It was unsuccessful.

Avatar image for 04dcarraher
#9 Edited by 04dcarraher (22915 posts) -

@Maverick6585 said:

@04dcarraher said:

With Fraps its best to have a dedicated harddrive for it.

Then for your Q6600 you can do the tape mod to get it at 3ghz

I'm going to pick up another hard drive when I get a chance, but just the one was working perfectly fine before.

I tried the tape mod. It was unsuccessful.

You didnt put it in the right spot and or didnt prevent the contact

Avatar image for Maverick6585
#10 Posted by Maverick6585 (220 posts) -

@04dcarraher said:

@Maverick6585 said:

@04dcarraher said:

With Fraps its best to have a dedicated harddrive for it.

Then for your Q6600 you can do the tape mod to get it at 3ghz

I'm going to pick up another hard drive when I get a chance, but just the one was working perfectly fine before.

I tried the tape mod. It was unsuccessful.

You didnt put it in the right spot and or didnt prevent the contact

It was in the correct spot. It's possible that the pins on the socket were penetrating the tape, but I don't think this was the case. I should have clarified when I said that it was unsuccessful. The issue was that after applying the tape, it refused to boot.

This isn't the point of the thread either. I'm trying to figure out why my new card doesn't record as well as my old, outdated, inferior card. That is the only thing I have changed in my computer.

Avatar image for 04dcarraher
#11 Posted by 04dcarraher (22915 posts) -

If nothing else has changed it may be driver related.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
#12 Posted by deactivated-579f651eab962 (5404 posts) -

It must be the 1Gb Vram holding you back.

Avatar image for Maverick6585
#13 Posted by Maverick6585 (220 posts) -

@04dcarraher said:

If nothing else has changed it may be driver related.

I just updated to the 14.7 beta drivers the other day. I'll see if those have helped.

@klunt_bumskrint said:

It must be the 1Gb Vram holding you back.

I don't think so. 1 GB of GDDR5 should best 2 GB of DDR3, correct? Also, I thought recording was mostly CPU and RAM intensive, not so much GPU?

Avatar image for Coseniath
#14 Edited by Coseniath (3183 posts) -
@04dcarraher said:

Then for your Q6600 you can do the tape mod to get it at 3ghz

Is this working at the B3 or the G0 stepping?

Avatar image for 04dcarraher
#15 Posted by 04dcarraher (22915 posts) -

@Coseniath said:
@04dcarraher said:

Then for your Q6600 you can do the tape mod to get it at 3ghz

Is this working at the B3 or the G0 stepping?

Shouldn't matter, pin placement is the same for socket 775, but its also known issue that windows can report the wrong cpu speed so using a 3rd party cpu info program will display correct speed.

Avatar image for Coseniath
#16 Edited by Coseniath (3183 posts) -
@04dcarraher said:

@Coseniath said:
@04dcarraher said:

Then for your Q6600 you can do the tape mod to get it at 3ghz

Is this working at the B3 or the G0 stepping?

Shouldn't matter, pin placement is the same for socket 775, but its also known issue that windows can report the wrong cpu speed so using a 3rd party cpu info program will display correct speed.

Ofc pin placement is the same. But if this could happen at B3, Intel might took countermeasures against it at G0.

But really every Q6600 with decent cooling should be able to reach 3Ghz (instead of 266x9, 333x9).