My DVD-ROM suddenly ceased to appear in My Computer.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by th3warr1or (20640 posts) -

I have no idea when this happened, because I rarely use it.

But as of the past few days, my computer has slowed down a bit during start up when loading the desktop, so I was going to reinstalled Windows. I put the disc in, and it didn't run. So I went into My Computer to run it manually, and I realized that it's not there.

What do I do?

I did a virus scan, and my computer turned up clean.

It's a custom-PC, so I have no idea what to do.

Edit: It shows up in Device Manager (HP DVD Writer 1260t) but says under properties, "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged."

#2 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

You could try a different sata port i guess

#3 Posted by th3warr1or (20640 posts) -

I don't think its a SATA port issue, since I plugged in an external BR-ROM via a USB port, and I got the same problem (doesn't show up in My Computer, has Code 19 in Device Manager).

#4 Posted by metacritical (2537 posts) -
googling code 19 gives a lot of help
#5 Posted by th3warr1or (20640 posts) -

Google was the first thing I tried. This is what I attempted:

Unfortunately, I stopped at step 4 because I do not have "Lower Filters" there at all, which kind of puts a damper on the whole thing. There are 9 things under the respective registry "{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}" and none of them are "Lower Filters."

I also attempted just skipping step 4 and going to the "uninstall and reboot" steps, didn't work.

I plugged in an external BR-ROM, and that BR-ROM had the same error.

Ran "sfc /scannow" and all I got was "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

#6 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (24610 posts) -
Do you have daemon tools installed? Try uninstalling it.