My best free to play multiplayer options at the moment?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 0

#1 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts

RTS genre right now is a niche genre. The most notable game that is an Esport is SC2. BW is still popular in Korea, I think.

You could also try MOBAs like LoL and Dota2. Or Dota1 in WC3. Just some words of warning, those games are better played with a team of people YOU know. And if you play in public games, prepare because the community is quite aggressive.

Kopogero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Kopogero
Member since 2010 • 149 Posts

RTS genre right now is a niche genre. The most notable game that is an Esport is SC2. BW is still popular in Korea, I think.

You could also try MOBAs like LoL and Dota2. Or Dota1 in WC3. Just some words of warning, those games are better played with a team of people YOU know. And if you play in public games, prepare because the community is quite aggressive.

Miroku32

Thx for the info, but all games I mentioned above were solo friendly. I dislike depending on others to get things done in general. It greatly limits me when I can play or how far I can succeed.

Kopogero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kopogero

RTS - Probably Star Craft 2? It doesn't have much competition in the RTS genre. I would still play Star Craft 1 over it if there was a big community and Blizzard still supported it.

FPS - ? Counter Strike with Warcraft mod and Half Life 1: Bubble Mod were the last F2P I remember playing for year+

MMO - ? This is a bit challenging, but nothing seems to even close to the success WOW had in the past, which in my view shows mediocre at best options. I do look forward to find one MMO that I could see myself playing for year+ (non casually, that's it), but I ihghly doubt the community can bring one MMO that can do that at the moment.

I would appreciate if the community shares valid reason behind any game mentioned. I prefer multiplayers that I can see myself playing for year+. In the past many multiplayers succeeded in keeping me playing them hardcore for years. Ultima Online, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, and as I mentioned Star Craft 1, Half life 1, and Counter Strike.

B2P/P2P games are welcome to be mentioned, but only if they truly excel in features, gameplay over graphics.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Best free FPSs on the market right now are Tribes Ascend and Planetside 2. You can also play Quake Live for free, that's a good one. 

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

League of Legends is probably the best F2P game ever. But it is team based, and the community sucks.

CBN16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CBN16
Member since 2012 • 407 Posts

I got this when you had to pay for it, but TF2 is and always will be my favorite F2P.

Deadpool-n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Deadpool-n
Member since 2012 • 489 Posts

Star Wars is a pretty good mmo, but I have gotten bored of it recently with all the changes and because it is such a grind and switched to DC Universe Online which is actually pretty awesome. I'm really enjoying it. I've never really liked WoW. I played it for a while, but just could not get into it.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Moba- LoL and Dota 2 are you best bets

FPS- Planetside 2

TPS- Warframe

MMO- Tera Rising

ARPG- Path of Exile

Kopogero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kopogero

Moba- LoL and Dota 2 are you best bets

FPS- Planetside 2

TPS- Warframe

MMO- Tera Rising

ARPG- Path of Exile

Ballroompirate

Thank you. I just quit Path of Exile, and I'll look into Tera and Planetsode 2. I never tried Planetside 2 cuz there was hacking going on, dunno how that's handled now. Also I would need to dig some more info on TERA. It was my 1st choice at the moment.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#10 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Quake Live and Tribes Ascend are both good.

Deadpool-n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Deadpool-n
Member since 2012 • 489 Posts

[QUOTE="Deadpool-n"]

Star Wars is a pretty good mmo, but I have gotten bored of it recently with all the changes and because it is such a grind and switched to DC Universe Online which is actually pretty awesome. I'm really enjoying it. I've never really liked WoW. I played it for a while, but just could not get into it.

Kopogero

I played DCUO on and off for over a year, but the updates been slower and slower. Tier 4 has been around for like forever. Sucks how the game ended, what an epic IP it was though. Anyways back on topic. So far I'm undecided between TERA and Age of Wushu and slight maeby on Planetside 2.

A new expansion is coming out in May. Adds new powers, missions, and tier 5 gear

Kopogero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Kopogero

Deadpool-n

I played DCUO on and off for over a year, but the updates been slower and slower. Tier 4 has been around for like forever. Sucks how the game ended, what an epic IP it was though. Anyways back on topic. So far I'm undecided between TERA and Age of Wushu and slight maeby on Planetside 2.

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

Miroku32

Wasn't there some game on Steam that was "recently" released and was supposed to be this moba/RTS hybrid or something for a game that isn't out yet except for multiplayer? Banner Saga Factions I think it is. How is that?

tab134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 tab134
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts
quake live is my favorite f2p, it's freakin quake3.
Avatar image for deactivated-5efbb83eee5ef
deactivated-5efbb83eee5ef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#15 deactivated-5efbb83eee5ef
Member since 2004 • 273 Posts
I'll have to say Star Wars - TOR, but Ghost Recon Online is nice as well.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

srry had to double take to see if this thread was necroed i swore ive seen it before.

your best f2p RTS is going to be SC2 basic edition thats just all there is too it.

f2p moba its LoL, HoN, DOTA2,  or SMITE. its a bit of a four way tie. everyone has their favourite

f2p MMO ehh basically if you enjoy MP above all things its GW2 (requires retail purchase). if your not into MP then looks elsewheres i recommend EVE online, SWToR, or maybe TSW (requires retail purchase). and if your going to try something super oldskool and have no problems with a SUPER complicated game. FF11 has some F2P servers now (not legit but they are free)