Moving games from old hard drive to new computer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 101374
Member since 2005 • 48 Posts
Hello everyone, so I have battle field 2 and 3 and all other call of duty series games. What I did was I copied the games directories from the old hard drive from the programs folder and my documents folder. now, i've installed steam and origin on my new computer, i'm starting to install CoD games. What i'm going to do is install the games from discs, then copy the game folders from the old HDD to over write the new folders. Is that correct way of doing it? For BF I'll follow this procedure: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/en/forum/threadview/2832654489993788233/ is my approach with CoD correct? Kindly note that CoD games (with exception to Ops II) were all installed on WindowsXP. (Ops II on Win7)
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Simply copying folders won't work, you have to install them.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts
With Steam you can just copy everything from Steam apps into your new hard drive after installing Steam on your new machine.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts

GTR12
Worked for age of empires 2 on the old school laptop I had once.. :P
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GTR12

[QUOTE="GTR12"]

horgen123

Worked for age of empires 2 on the old school laptop I had once.. :P

Try it with AOE: Titans (I think thats the name)

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

GTR12

Yes and no. Yes, the above statement is technically true but digital distribution services simplify this somewhat. If you copy the files for a game to a new computer and try to run it, it will typically fail because the install procedure actually loads DLLs, installs pre-reqs, etc. If you happen to already have the necessary pre-reqs or it's a much older game, then it might work regardless. Also, if you have a similar game already installed it may work (i.e. you have HL2 installed and you try to run L4D).

Where digital distro services like Steam come in are Steam technically does these "install" steps the first time you run a game after downloading it. If you copy your entire Steam directory and re-install Steam to the same path, the first time you try to run a game that was included in the copy Steam will scan the existing files for any gaps. If it finds any, it'll re-download just the missing/damaged portion until the game is complete and -then- it'll run the "install" since you are technically playing the game for the first time. This works with the vast majority of Steam's library, but there are a few games (most notably online games that use their own updater like Tribes Ascend) where you'll have to re-download them no matter what. Origin (for BF3) also works in a similar fashion.

Save files for any game that doesn't use cloud saving will have to be moved manually. Most games keep their data in the hidden AppData folder inside your profile folder, the My Documents folder, or the My Games folder. Occasionally, a few will keep them in the actual game folder (like Sleeping Dogs). Some games that use Games For Windows (like Fable 3 or GTA4) actually tie the save games to the unique instance of your XBL profile on that specific computer so moving those save files (and having them work at the destination) is a bit tricky. Look for instructions on how to do this -before- moving any files as the first steps have to be taken up front.

Also, Steam actually has a "backup" feature where you can take the downloaded bulk of any one or more games and save them into a portable format that can be restored to any Steam client running on the same account. However, since the copy procedure works for almost all games I find I rarely use this because it just adds extra steps.

Edit: I forgot to mention one detail. Some games (like Arkham City) have additional DRM beyond that of their digital distribution service and will have to re-activate. These games will often come with a limited number of activations.

-Byshop

omsamsun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 omsamsun
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
that right,Simply copying folders won't work, you have to install them. thanks
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GTR12

[QUOTE="GTR12"]

Byshop

Yes and no. Yes, the above statement is technically true but digital distribution services simplify this somewhat. If you copy the files for a game to a new computer and try to run it, it will typically fail because the install procedure actually loads DLLs, installs pre-reqs, etc. If you happen to already have the necessary pre-reqs or it's a much older game, then it might work regardless. Also, if you have a similar game already installed it may work (i.e. you have HL2 installed and you try to run L4D).

Where digital distro services like Steam come in are Steam technically does these "install" steps the first time you run a game after downloading it. If you copy your entire Steam directory and re-install Steam to the same path, the first time you try to run a game that was included in the copy Steam will scan the existing files for any gaps. If it finds any, it'll re-download just the missing/damaged portion until the game is complete and -then- it'll run the "install" since you are technically playing the game for the first time. This works with the vast majority of Steam's library, but there are a few games (most notably online games that use their own updater like Tribes Ascend) where you'll have to re-download them no matter what. Origin (for BF3) also works in a similar fashion.

Save files for any game that doesn't use cloud saving will have to be moved manually. Most games keep their data in the hidden AppData folder inside your profile folder, the My Documents folder, or the My Games folder. Occasionally, a few will keep them in the actual game folder (like Sleeping Dogs). Some games that use Games For Windows (like Fable 3 or GTA4) actually tie the save games to the unique instance of your XBL profile on that specific computer so moving those save files (and having them work at the destination) is a bit tricky. Look for instructions on how to do this -before- moving any files as the first steps have to be taken up front.

Also, Steam actually has a "backup" feature where you can take the downloaded bulk of any one or more games and save them into a portable format that can be restored to any Steam client running on the same account. However, since the copy procedure works for almost all games I find I rarely use this because it just adds extra steps.

Edit: I forgot to mention one detail. Some games (like Arkham City) have additional DRM beyond that of their digital distribution service and will have to re-activate. These games will often come with a limited number of activations.

-Byshop

Yeah I know that, and its correct, but I noted TC specifically mentioned that he was installing COD from CD's, so in that case it wouldn't work.

Also, what's with these stupid bots (above this comment) just re-iterating what I said, and thanks? its happened like 5 times now for me...

JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 JimmyJumpy
Member since 2008 • 2554 Posts

Also, what's with these stupid bots (above this comment) just re-iterating what I said, and thanks? its happened like 5 times now for me...

GTR12

Prolly a Lamborghini fan.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GTR12

[QUOTE="GTR12"]Also, what's with these stupid bots (above this comment) just re-iterating what I said, and thanks? its happened like 5 times now for me...

JimmyJumpy

Prolly a Lamborghini fan.

Wouldn't it be a Ferrari bot? :P