Mouse/Keyboard vs Controller

This topic is locked from further discussion.

---n00b_kid---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ---n00b_kid---
Member since 2007 • 803 Posts

Pros:

1. Mouse has great speed and accuracy compared to a controller (FPS and RTS genres belong to the PC in that respect)

2. Keyboard can be used to map out many in-game functions

Cons:

1. Mapping buttons to a 5-button mouse or a 7-button mouse will never match the controller which has 6 face buttons and 4 shoulder buttons (total 10 buttons).

2. Requires a lot of desk space especially for the mouse movement

3. Mouse/Keyboard requires a lot more physical effort compared to a controller

4. Keyboard feels rather clunky i.e. qwerty keyboard was not built and designed from the ground up to play video games

Please give me feedback.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
I like the mouse but i hate the keyboard when a game requires too many keys. It's not as easy as pressing a button on the controller and I sometimes find myself having to look down or pressing the wrong key. It depends on what kind of game i am playing. I only play RTS and FPS games on the PC so I use a mouse. Anything else like racers and sports I prefer to use a controller.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17857 Posts

for em mouse and keyboard for the vast majority of games. its more accurate and it feels more natural imho. using sticks to target something make less sense than using a mouse.

as for ure cons...u have some fair points but:

1. the mouse on its own isnt suitable for alot of games....hense the keyboard to compliment it. u dont use the mouse to strafe or move...its for targeting, clicking and weapon selection mostly. moving around in a FPS with a mouse would just feel very awkward. of course a keyboard has loads of more buttons than a controller (though there not all in ideal places). still if ure too look at a standard WSAD uve got those 4 for movement. then (assuming its a qwerty UK keyboard...different regions have slightly different layouts) q and e are easily accessible for leaning around corners or activating power ups. then theres the space par, the alt key, the ctrl key and the c key. the V and B keys are also pretty to access as is shift. it takes practice to get used to it but it works very nicely imho. the only weekness is that theres no analogue stick on a keyboard so that u can change the rate os movent more. most games use the shift key though to toggle between walking and running. add the 3 buttons on the mouse (+ any more u may have) and theres alot of buttons easily available without moving ure hand.

2. fair enough. in a typical console enviroenment (ie playing on a couch) a mouse and keyboard wouldnt make much sense. but for the typical PC enviroenment, a controller also makes little sense imho.

3. no it doesent. if ure getting tired from using a mouse and keyboard then u need serious medical attention. moving the mouse about is as easy as pushing those analogue sticks. after that its button pressing.

4. that a matter of practice and getting used to it imho. i find the layout of some contorollers to be cery clunky (eg the PS2/3 controller....the analogue sticks are in the wrong place imho and there too close) but after practise i get used to them.