Morrowind/Oblivion

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TMallory2482

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TMallory2482
Member since 2007 • 264 Posts

How are they different? Oblivion is one of my favorite games of all-time, how does Morrowind compare, what does it do differently, etc.

weirjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 weirjf
Member since 2002 • 2392 Posts

Morrowind has more areas and some really more unique creatures than you find in Oblivion. I prefered it to Oblivion because of that fact alone.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
Morrowind is bigger, better, and has more depth.
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts

Morrowind's monsters/NPCs don't level with you. So in the beginning any guard will wipe the floor with you, but later on you can take them with ease.
Depending on your skill, your attacks with various weapons/magic don't always hit in Morrowind.
You are the "the chosen one" in Morrowind, not a lame side character like in Oblivion.
Everything feels a bit more hand-placed in Morrowind--no randomly generated wilderness and dungeons like in Oblivion.
More Factions to join in Morrowind. More varied terrain. Main quest is a lot better...
Overall, Morrowind is a more complete game out-of-box. Though it does look fugly (with mods it can look great).
Take a look at this before playing Morrowind: http://btb2.free.fr/morrowind.html ...but do play it. It's a great game.

stele29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 stele29
Member since 2008 • 551 Posts

They play similar. Oblivion has better graphics, but Morrowind has a superior story and is all around better. That being said, both are great games and are worth your time.

stike22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 stike22
Member since 2009 • 3401 Posts
Fan of bethesda love them both but Morrowind is better because of the greater freedom and the sheer size of it...Oblivion is only better in graphics, physics and combat system, if Morrowind had the graphics, physics and combat system of Oblivion it would be flawless...but that would be very hard on the machine.
FamiBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FamiBox
Member since 2007 • 5481 Posts

Wish I could play Morrowind. But there is one major problem.

I have 2 choices, play in a low resolution and everything looks out of focus and muddy (and looks bad in widesreen), or play in my monitor's native resolution (with a mod to put it i widescreen) but... the text is far too small to read.

I have found no solution to this, so I gave up playing.

iki080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 iki080
Member since 2008 • 1085 Posts

i wish i played morrowind when it came out i got the game 3 months ago and games like crysis and oblivion makes morrowind seem boring. although i haven't got into the game yet i only played it for 20 minutes and it's dusty now. I feel ashamed as a pc gamer

jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jedinat

I have 2 choices, play in a low resolution and everything looks out of focus and muddy (and looks bad in widesreen), or play in my monitor's native resolution (with a mod to put it i widescreen) but... the text is far too small to read.

FamiBox

FPS Optimizer includes an interface size multiplier option that increases the size of the enitre interface, including text.

You can also try changing the font in the ini file.

Change:
[Fonts]
Font 0=magic_cards_regular

To:
[Fonts]
Font 0=century_gothic_font_regular

...which apprently makes it a little easier to read.

Shiai_Kingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shiai_Kingu
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Morrowind = in the top 10 RPGS of all time. Oblivion = just cracks top 30 maybe.

Morrowind is amazing, I wish they just re-made it instead of making oblivion. Though Oblivion still a great game, but side by side with Morrowind its not even on the same level. Morrowind sucks you into the story, sucks you into the game, you find yourself searching every square inch. Oblivion you find yourself doing the same stuff, over and over and over again. Searching the catacombs that seems to be every few feet away from eachother. Yeah the monsters change, but it just feels you're doing the same damn thing time and time again after you blast through 15 of these things. Morrowind you actually feel like you're getting rewarded for searching through caves, dungeons, or whatever. Oblivion the first few times is a rush, but after a-while you feel you are finding the same tired crap, killing the same tired monsters. If you just stick to the main quest and do a few side quests. Don't fall into the whole searching every corner in all the ruins, then awesome great game. But, if you fall into the "oh another ruin lets go try to find someone useful." It gets tiresome quickly.

Another thing thatI findbetween oblivion and morrowind that makes a little bit of a difference is the towns. For some reason the towns seems plain in Oblivion. I'm not sure how to pin-point that to an exact reason why I say this. Just something always feels awkward about Oblivions towns/cities.

Though in Oblivion the in-game mechanics are second to none, absolutely amazing. Graphics are fantastic. Though I'm not one to care about graphics, if thats a big deal in your gaming experiance Oblivion looks great.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#11 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Oblivion is the worst in the series. I own every elderscrolls game in the series and my personal favorites are Morrowind, Daggerfall and Arena. Oblivion was just MEH compared to the others in the series (storywise, character wise,better world, fun factor and mission wise).

Only thing Oblivion does better then the other games in the series is GRAPHICS.

Morrowind = Jessica Alba/Angelina Jole

Oblivion = Paris Hilton

:)

jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jedinat

Oblivion = Paris Hilton

:)kozzy1234

Paris Hilton? Really? The tan American slut look did it for me when I was 13, but really she's not even too good in that category.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#13 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

Oblivion = Paris Hilton

:)jedinat

Paris Hilton? Really? The tan American slut look did it for me when I was 13, but really she's not even too good in that category.

Exactly... shes ugly compared to the other two i mentioned.... thats why Oblivion = her and Morrowind = the other better looking women (:

jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jedinat

[QUOTE="jedinat"]

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

Oblivion = Paris Hilton

:)kozzy1234

Exactly... shes ugly compared to the other two i mentioned.... thats why Oblivion = her and Morrowind = the other better looking women (:

I see, lol. I thought you were comparing graphics... :P

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 aura_enchanted
Member since 2006 • 7942 Posts

tbh id throw them both off the table and grab a heaping SLAB (and i do mean SLAB) of chapter 2: daggerfall it along has more content in it than oblivion and morrowind + there expansions put togeather. though more buggy its got 1000 times the longevity for a win98 game XD

MadCat46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MadCat46
Member since 2004 • 1494 Posts
Am I the only one who actually felt as if Oblivion as bigger then Morrowind? But yes, overall Morrowwind is a better vanilla game, if you're willing to spend a few days modding then I put Oblivion ahead as they become pretty much the same game with minor difference here and there so you might as well take the more modern version.
jamesee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 jamesee
Member since 2009 • 153 Posts
[QUOTE="TMallory2482"]

How are they different? Oblivion is one of my favorite games of all-time, how does Morrowind compare, what does it do differently, etc.

personally its a HUGE step back in garphics and gameplay, i really enjoyed oblivion but couldnt play it for more then 2min. Look at the cover and the screens on the back to see what i mean. It feels dead to me compared the the glorious alive world that is oblivion. Its like getting gta3 after playing gta4
Jekken6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 Jekken6
Member since 2008 • 2642 Posts

Morrowind is bigger, better, and has more depth.GodLovesDead

Actually, oblivion is bigger than morrowind, but morrowind seems bigger due to mountain landscapes and running takes up fatigue

Also, you can make morrowind look as good as oblivion if you use Morrowind Graphics Extender

MadCat46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MadCat46

[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"]Morrowind is bigger, better, and has more depth.Jekken6

Actually, oblivion is bigger than morrowind, but morrowind seems bigger due to mountain landscapes and running takes up fatigue

Also, you can make morrowind look as good as oblivion if you use Morrowind Graphics Extender

Yeah but if you use Quarls' Texture Pack and one of the LOD mods Oblivion takes another ten steps ahead of Morrowwind.
Astaroth2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Astaroth2k
Member since 2006 • 877 Posts

Morrowind is far better than oblivion even with mods.Travelling around the world you can tell between different cultures and areas,far better stoy and all in all a far better experience.Oblivion is just out and out bland and tedious compared to morrowind.

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

I liked both games, and feel they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

I tend to feel more immersed in Oblivion, partly due to the graphics, but mostly due to having all NPCs speaking (and associated facial animation), and I like the combat and stealth in Oblivion a lot more. And there are no Cliff Racers - god I hate those things. It seems that when you get your character to level 7 or 8 in Morrowind, you encounter Cliff Racers every twenty paces and it's very annoying.

I'm currently replaying Morrowind at the moment, and as others have stated, the story and quests are generally deeper than Oblivion, though it does have a large number of FedEx type quests as well (starting quests in the Mage's Guild of Balmora are particularly poor), and NPCs tend to repeat the same information over and over (which is also a problem with Oblivion). And Morrowind has Cliff Racers. How the devs thought it was a good idea to have Cliff Racers accosting you every twenty paces when you get your character up to about level 7 or 8 I don't know - but I found it very annoying.

If you're playing as an Argonian character then Morrowind is a lot more interesting for under water places to explore - several grottos, submerged caves and tunnels, sunken ships, etc., whereas Oblivion is practically barren under water, and apart from a quest involving slaughterfish I can't recall any under water enemies either. There are a few caves and a fort or two with submerged levels in Oblivion, but nothing particularly interesting.

You can join a larger number of factions in Morrowind, each with associated quests. You also have separate skills for short blade and long blade, axes, spears, and 'Unarmoured'. Things that are lacking in Oblivion.

Lastly Morrowind has a very unique feel, due to the great architectural design, and some unique animals/enemies. It's definitely worth playing if you like Oblivion, but you may find the combat a bit frustrating at first (hit and miss) and there is a LOT of reading to be done.

1carus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 1carus
Member since 2004 • 1454 Posts

Oblivion is pretty much... a poor man's Morrowind. It's got some step ups but for the most part is a pretty inferior product.

Oblivion Pros:
- Graphics - they are easier on the eye, but it's arguable that Morrowind looks better artistically - it certainly builds stronger emotion
- Combat - The combat is a lot better than Morrowind click and wait crap. The combat in Oblivion is generally very fun
- Easier to get into - With the use of the training mission and then easy level ups, Oblivion lets the player feels like they're progressing at the start
- Voice acting - It's nice to have voice acting instead of mere text, however this limits the amount of dialogue up for offer

Morrowind Pros:
- Far more unique and realistic gameworld - Feels like an economic system is in place. You begin the game at the bottom of the world in the fairly upper ****regions. All towns bring something different to the table. You've got your middle ****Balmora, rich and upper Vivec, Docklands Ebhonheart, Trading and scavenging Aldr'uhn etc. As one travels north (Which is usually a long, epic journey), they will reach the poorer, more dangerous regions where the huts and clans roam free. Because of this, the game feels so much more organic than Oblivion. It feels like a much larger, richer world.
- Far more factions to join - You make your own path in Morrowind. Some factions are hidden, some are hiring openly. Some are good, some are bad. Some are morally grey. It's up to the player to make these decisions and decide whether or not these factions are viable to their current location etc, and whether or not the bonuses are warranted.
- No autolevelling enemies - As has been said before, the gameworld is a lot tougher in the north, and it stays that way. The game world is far more interesting because of it. There are dangerous locations, and set caves with different levels of enemies within. It's fun just travelling the world and randomly running into a cave that is full of incredibly powerful bad guys that you just can't take. You then return later when you've reached a higher level to kill them. This is SO much more satisfying than killing everything in your path at no matter what stage ala Oblivion
- The towns are open and unique - This has mainly been touched on, but I'll make it a seperate point. All the towns in Morrowind present something new to the gameworld and all have their own unique little nuances. There are so many of them and upon reaching a town during your travels, it feels like you've completed something. It feels like something fresh and interesting and an entire array of new features await you. In Oblivion, all the towns are more or less the same. Grey rocks covered by brick. Featuring a Fighter's Guild, a Mages Guild. One of them has a dock, one of them is snowy, one of them is swampy, and after that - they're pretty much aesthetically and fuctionally the same.
- Main Quest is more interesting, realistic, and compelling
- No Fast Travel means you earn your travels. You take a huge hike to get to a town, and it feels REWARDING when you get to a new area. Likewise, one the travel home (to something like Balmora or Vivec), one almost feels homesick because of the time spent away from it. Upon reaching it, it feels so good to be back with your friendly chums.

Pretty much.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GodLovesDead

[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"]Morrowind is bigger, better, and has more depth.Jekken6

If by bigger, you mean it has lots of empty landscape - then yes, it has lots of more empty and generally pointless landscape. Morrowind definitely feels much bigger.
TMallory2482

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TMallory2482
Member since 2007 • 264 Posts

Is the game playable in widescreen?

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
Oblivion was designed for a console. Morrowind was designed for the PC.
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#28 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

If you are wanting to buy a new RPG, i thought the witcher was a good mix. it has much better visuals than morrowind, and much better combat, but the depth and story are much better than that in oblivion. you cant loose, especially if you get the enhanced edition

MadCat46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MadCat46

[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"][QUOTE="Jekken6"]

SEANMCAD

If by bigger, you mean it has lots of empty landscape - then yes, it has lots of more empty and generally pointless landscape. Morrowind definitely feels much bigger.

actually he is wrong, Oblivion is in all shapes forms and angles smaller than Morrowind. If I recall I think its more than 75% smaller

Where did you get that info? Honestly they are very close to the same size, it's just Morrowwind has the feel of being larger because of the running speed, fatigue, many very small villages instead of a few big cities, more moutainess terrain, and more to see and do. But in terms of scale that are almost of the same, if Oblivion itsn't just a little bigger.
Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Luminouslight
Member since 2007 • 6397 Posts
[QUOTE="SEANMCAD"]

[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"] If by bigger, you mean it has lots of empty landscape - then yes, it has lots of more empty and generally pointless landscape. Morrowind definitely feels much bigger. MadCat46

actually he is wrong, Oblivion is in all shapes forms and angles smaller than Morrowind. If I recall I think its more than 75% smaller

Where did you get that info? Honestly they are very close to the same size, it's just Morrowwind has the feel of being larger because of the running speed, fatigue, many very small villages instead of a few big cities, more moutainess terrain, and more to see and do. But in terms of scale that are almost of the same, if Oblivion itsn't just a little bigger.

If you were to count major cities, Oblivion had far... far less. Oblivion had about 9 while Morrowind had about 15. Each with quests, almost all with factions, unique shops, etc. Vivec, Ebonheart, Balmora, Ald ruhn, Sadrith Mora, Dagon fell, Caldera, Gnisis, were all very similar in size to those cities. Honestly, Oblivion felt much larger scale then Morrowind did. Don't get me wrong, I thought Oblivion would have beaten Morrowind ten-fold before it was released. I thought that the new combat system would take everything Morrowind lacked, but in turn, it only had about 50% of the factions Morrowind did. That and the Morrowind modding community was much larger scale than Oblivion, and an abundance of mods made Vanilla Morrowind MUCH MUCH MUCH better. I used probably about 20-30 mods, which included factions, cities, landmasses, quests, companions, the sorts.
Lemonio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lemonio
Member since 2006 • 513 Posts

alll bethesda games without mods are crappy

but with mods, amazing

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GodLovesDead

but with mods, amazing

Lemonio
Mods water down the gaming experience.
stele29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 stele29
Member since 2008 • 551 Posts

but with mods, amazing

Lemonio

You thought Fallout 3 vanilla was crappy? I'll assuming you meant Elder Scroll games and not all of Bethesda. Terminater 2029 was awesome. Daggerfall was pretty awesome without mods tho. I'm pretty sure there weren't any mods for Arena, and that one was good also. It wasn't till Morrowind that mods were used to "fix" the game.

Allwhitez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Allwhitez
Member since 2007 • 1371 Posts

[QUOTE="SEANMCAD"]

[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"] If by bigger, you mean it has lots of empty landscape - then yes, it has lots of more empty and generally pointless landscape. Morrowind definitely feels much bigger. MadCat46

How can you say Oblivion is truly biggerwhen you have fast travel and horses. Even if the Oblivion lanscape is bigger, you experience next to none of it. Whereas in Morrowind you have to actually work to get from a to b.

On another note am I the only one who missed Levitate in Oblivion?

noswear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 noswear
Member since 2008 • 3263 Posts
Morrowind is deeper, more engaging, more atmpospheric and overall more original.
MadCat46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MadCat46

[QUOTE="MadCat46"][QUOTE="SEANMCAD"]

Allwhitez

How can you say Oblivion is truly biggerwhen you have fast travel and horses. Even if the Oblivion lanscape is bigger, you experience next to none of it. Whereas in Morrowind you have to actually work to get from a to b.

On another note am I the only one who missed Levitate in Oblivion?

The whole point of the argument was weather or not Oblivion was a larger explorable landmass then Morrowind. The devs have said it is, a lot of players say it is ont he Bethesda forums, and you just said it. The actual area is bigger then Morrowind, but like I've been saying it just feels smaller because of a few issues I've already stated.

Both are good games and with mods they both become even better, I just prefer a modded Oblivion over a modded Morrowind. I only ever do a few parts of the main quest, the mods make the gameplay just as good as Morrowind, the combat while not great is still much better over that horrible system used in Morrowind, and the atmosphere is just nicer when you add in the Landscape mods.

FamiBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FamiBox
Member since 2007 • 5481 Posts

[QUOTE="FamiBox"]

jedinat

FPS Optimizer includes an interface size multiplier option that increases the size of the enitre interface, including text.

WOW! I never expected to ever find a solution!

Now I can actually play this game!

:lol:

THANK YOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!