Morrowind is boring!

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

C3Le5tiaL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 C3Le5tiaL
Member since 2009 • 278 Posts

I just bought the deluxe Elder Scrolls package off of Steam. I began playing Morrowind and it is so boring! The speed that you walk at takes ages to get to the next town. Also, the combat is the worst I have ever seen. I'll be hacking and whacking at an enemy with my dagger, and it seems to miss about 70 percent of the time. I also think the journal system isn't that great. I am definitely trying to give this game a chance, because of it's appraisal and I have only been playing it for a couple hours. Will this game get better?

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

It took me awhile to get used to things and appreciate it. Granted, combat in the game did suck, but keep at it and you'll start to hit every time.

Vespiion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Vespiion
Member since 2010 • 298 Posts

Morrowind can be compared to a boulder. It's hard to get it rolling, but once you get it going it doesn't slow. Yes, these were my exact thoughts when I began morrowind. Give it a few days but if you keep on playing I think you'll appreciate it more. Check out some begginer''s guides too, those help.

sieg6529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#4 sieg6529
Member since 2004 • 1585 Posts
I acknowledge the crappy fighting engine and the useless journal, but you can mod those into something better. I don't get what you mean by the slow speed, but you can mod that too. It's an old game, so go to the Elder Scrolls page on IGN and start downloading the good mods. It's got a lot of merit if you give it a chance.
Avatar image for no_one_specific
no_one_specific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 no_one_specific
Member since 2003 • 2612 Posts
Yeah, it's difficult in the beginning. I spent my first four hours with that game stealing and (attempting) pickpocketing, and lockpicking. Also, I have not gotten more than about 3 missions into the main quest and I sunk about 50-100 hours into the game. Granted, I was much younger and had much more time then, but it was unmodded too, and I had so much fun. I revisited it with mods later, and it really improves the game, although they can make it much more unstable.
RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts
Go back to your pseudo-RPGs like Oblivion. :P
Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Remmib
Member since 2010 • 2250 Posts

Yeah, it's difficult in the beginning. I spent my first four hours with that game stealing and (attempting) pickpocketing, and lockpicking. Also, I have not gotten more than about 3 missions into the main quest and I sunk about 50-100 hours into the game. Granted, I was much younger and had much more time then, but it was unmodded too, and I had so much fun. I revisited it with mods later, and it really improves the game, although they can make it much more unstable. no_one_specific

Heh, pretty much the same for me. I only did the first quest in the main quest line I think. I always got scared going into those dwemer ruins and stuff.

I spent most of my time stealing from people and vaults and exploring the country side.

Go back to your pseudo-RPGs like Oblivion. :PRyuRanVII

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Am with you, the game is very slow, progress is slow, travelling is slow, combat and level up takes forever and most importantly it does not present the compaign story in any way that it encourages you to progress the game, say by showing you a path or something. Eventually after about 20+ hours i declared deathboringess and left the game and played oblivion :P that atleast does not bore you to death with extreme slow progress. Also the journal is awful, can i have my quests listed and a marker on the worldmap to know where do i have to go instead of reading directions "when you get there turn left and head southeast" seriously what the hell?
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dakan45
WAIT!!! I cant have an opinion? Thats new to me... i have the right to post my opinion as long as i dont break the rules. You dont own this forum. Maybe some of you heard but that does not mean that i must not post my opinion for the tc that has not read it. Finnally its being a long time since there was a thread about morrowind and you joined May 1, 2010 therefore you are a ban dodger if you have heard about my "Crap".
no_one_specific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 no_one_specific
[QUOTE="dakan45"]Am with you, the game is very slow, progress is slow, travelling is slow, combat and level up takes forever and most importantly it does not present the compaign story in any way that it encourages you to progress the game, say by showing you a path or something. Eventually after about 20+ hours i declared deathboringess and left the game and played oblivion :P that atleast does not bore you to death with extreme slow progress. Also the journal is awful, can i have my quests listed and a marker on the worldmap to know where do i have to go instead of reading directions "when you get there turn left and head southeast" seriously what the hell?

See, that's one thing I absolutely loved about it. I loved that I actually had to find my own way. One time I can remember took 30 minutes of searching an area before I found the cave I was looking for. I was so happy. For me, that worked so much better than Oblivion's marker system because it kept me more engaged. Certainly, it took more time and wasn't always satisfying, and the payoff wasn't always satisfying, but there was a sense of satisfaction from this immersion that Oblivion only tapped. Now I still like Oblivion, especially with all the crazy mods, but I love Morrowind. I felt like I was really roleplaying, and since I don't play rpgs, I've never had an experience like that. It was completely unique to me at the time. After writing this, I realize how someone wouldn't necessarily like the game for that, especially since it's feels outdated, even with mods. Whatever though, I hope you didn't waste your money.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dakan45
When you say "we have heard your crap" it seems you consider yourself a user and a part of the forum ;) and i hihgly doubt you were reading the forums out of the blue without having an account. What will be the point of going to a site and read the forums regularly without being a member? It feels like you cant get acess for some reason. But i have to admit i am starting to believe that you trully have never been a memeber of this forum since attitude like that is not tolerated here.
Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Remmib
[QUOTE="dakan45"]When you say "we have heard your crap" it seems you consider yourself a user and a part of the forum ;) and i hihgly doubt you were reading the forums out of the blue without having an account. What will be the point of going to a site and read the forums regularly without being a member? It feels like you cant get acess for some reason. But i have to admit i am starting to believe that you trully have never been a memeber of this forum since attitude like that is not tolerated here.

Believe what you want, I could care less.
True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#15 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

Get Galsiah's Character Development mod. The game does kinda suck when played vanilla, but mod can make it shine

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dakan45
[QUOTE="no_one_specific"][QUOTE="dakan45"]Am with you, the game is very slow, progress is slow, travelling is slow, combat and level up takes forever and most importantly it does not present the compaign story in any way that it encourages you to progress the game, say by showing you a path or something. Eventually after about 20+ hours i declared deathboringess and left the game and played oblivion :P that atleast does not bore you to death with extreme slow progress. Also the journal is awful, can i have my quests listed and a marker on the worldmap to know where do i have to go instead of reading directions "when you get there turn left and head southeast" seriously what the hell?

See, that's one thing I absolutely loved about it. I loved that I actually had to find my own way. One time I can remember took 30 minutes of searching an area before I found the cave I was looking for. I was so happy. For me, that worked so much better than Oblivion's marker system because it kept me more engaged. Certainly, it took more time and wasn't always satisfying, and the payoff wasn't always satisfying, but there was a sense of satisfaction from this immersion that Oblivion only tapped. Now I still like Oblivion, especially with all the crazy mods, but I love Morrowind. I felt like I was really roleplaying, and since I don't play rpgs, I've never had an experience like that. It was completely unique to me at the time. After writing this, I realize how someone wouldn't necessarily like the game for that, especially since it's feels outdated, even with mods. Whatever though, I hope you didn't waste your money.

Well i cant spend so much time and attention in a game just to find the quest location i am looking for, in a game that massive and with so much ground to cover,, you dont have time to loose. I just cant be entairting by increasing my playtime by a long degree by doing nothing than trying to find where the hell to progress the game. I would prefer to be in that cave and already exploring/ leveling up....you know, progressing the story. I just dont have fun when i spend alot of time doing nothing in a game. I want the game to progress fast or i will be playing the game for 200 hours in order to finish it and i will get bored. i cant spend so much time on one game and still enjoy it after 200 hours. Thats how most games work nowadays, by playing fast.
yourmajesty90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 yourmajesty90
Member since 2006 • 1420 Posts

[QUOTE="dakan45"]When you say "we have heard your crap" it seems you consider yourself a user and a part of the forum ;) and i hihgly doubt you were reading the forums out of the blue without having an account. What will be the point of going to a site and read the forums regularly without being a member? It feels like you cant get acess for some reason. But i have to admit i am starting to believe that you trully have never been a memeber of this forum since attitude like that is not tolerated here.Remmib

Sorry dude, you're level 5 and he's a higher level. You should get out of the forums, really.

no_one_specific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 no_one_specific
@Dakan45 Right, I know. I don't play as many video games as I used to, not only because I'm in college, but I don't think they're as interesting. I watch a lot foreign/ art films now instead I love it when a good film or good game absorbs me while taking its time to establish character/mood, plot, etc. The industry changes, just like everything, and I'm happy with what I have... and you seem to be to... so that's good enough for me.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dakan45
I dont think levels matter, just respect each other opinions. I never criticize someones tastes or try to start an argument just because i dont like their reasons for not liking my favorite games. At the end if we all agree there wont be any discussion and all reccomendations and experiances will be the same.
Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Remmib

[QUOTE="Remmib"][QUOTE="dakan45"]When you say "we have heard your crap" it seems you consider yourself a user and a part of the forum ;) and i hihgly doubt you were reading the forums out of the blue without having an account. What will be the point of going to a site and read the forums regularly without being a member? It feels like you cant get acess for some reason. But i have to admit i am starting to believe that you trully have never been a memeber of this forum since attitude like that is not tolerated here.yourmajesty90

Sorry dude, you're level 5 and he's a higher level. You should get out of the forums, really.

So everyone under level 5 should be banned? Strong logic.
C3Le5tiaL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 C3Le5tiaL
Member since 2009 • 278 Posts
[QUOTE="yourmajesty90"]

[QUOTE="Remmib"] Believe what you want, I could care less.Remmib

You started the argument. Stop being immature. Other people have the right to their opinion. If you're just going to criticize other people's opinions, leave now, because no one is going to want you here.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dakan45
Anyway, C3Le5tiaL i had the same issues as you in the game and i cant say that something impressive happen along the way that made me to want to continue the game and i cant say that combat got any better or that the rate in which you make progress in the game was increased. It was just like when i started the game, horribly slow without anything impressive happening. So i wouldnt say that you should bother any further. ...and thats my opinion and reccomendation, its not absolute and no one has to agree with it. I just provide my experiance hopefully the tc can relate.
StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

Here we go again. :roll:

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

I tried Morrowind not too long ago as well and also couldn't get into it. I think it's one of those games that needs to be played during the time it came out. I rather play Oblivion and mod it up for my personal tastes then modding up Morrowind. The combat and the slow pace of the game just turned me off. Even with graphic mods Morrowind still looked old.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 True_Sounds

[QUOTE="yourmajesty90"]

[QUOTE="Remmib"] Believe what you want, I could care less.Remmib

I agree, levels mean nothing to judge someone upon. If you're a high level, it can mean you just keep your posts meaningless and cycle through the 200 or so cliche answers to every repetitive thread. I'd be level 30 if I did that, but I try and post something interesting instead, whether or not I'll lose 'levels' in the process, it means nothing to me.

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

[QUOTE="Remmib"][QUOTE="yourmajesty90"]

True_Sounds

I agree, levels mean nothing to judge someone upon. If you're a high level, it can mean you just keep your posts meaningless and cycle through the 200 or so cliche answers to every repetitive thread. I'd be level 30 if I did that, but I try and post something interesting instead, whether or not I'll lose 'levels' in the process, it means nothing to me.

Time on the site increases your level not post count.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 True_Sounds

[QUOTE="True_Sounds"]

[QUOTE="Remmib"] So everyone under level 5 should be banned? Strong logic.sleepingzzz

Time on the site increases your level not post count.

Posting anyone controversial decreases your levels dramatically. Hence why levels measure nothing except for how white of a sheep you are.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
Those were exactly the same impressions I had when I first started morrowind...slow...boring...crappy combat. But if you can give it some more time you will be rewarded with a really great game.
nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

I played it and beat it years ago when it first came out and it was awesome then. But I tried playing it recently and it was just too slow for me to get back into it. But if you give it a couple hours I'm sure things will pick up a bit.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#30 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Morrowind is awesome

Its better then Oblivion in every way except graphics

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#31 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Morrowind can be compared to a boulder. It's hard to get it rolling, but once you get it going it doesn't slow. Yes, these were my exact thoughts when I began morrowind. Give it a few days but if you keep on playing I think you'll appreciate it more. Check out some begginer''s guides too, those help.

Vespiion

Exactly... like alot of games.. it starts off slow, but if you stay with it,youll be rewarded with a very fun game.

Just isnt the kind of game for people with short attention spans I guess.

I to wasnt that impressed the first hour or 2, but after that it really picks up.

dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dos4gw82
Member since 2006 • 1896 Posts

Other people have the right to their opinion. If you're just going to criticize other people's opinions, leave now, because no one is going to want you here.C3Le5tiaL

So you're saying that people have a right to their opinion, but do not have a right to their opinion when it's about someone else's opinion?

I think what you're trying to say is "please do not be mean."

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

Also, the combat is the worst I have ever seen. I'll be hacking and whacking at an enemy with my dagger, and it seems to miss about 70 percent of the time.

C3Le5tiaL

The combat is really based on dice rolls, like other RPGs such as Neverwinter Nights. So when you go to attack, there is a chance of hit and miss, and the lower your skill with a particular weapon, the more you are going to miss, and when you do hit, the less damage you will do.

As your skill with each weapon increases, your chance to hit increases. This is pretty much normal for older RPGs.

So whatever weapon you have chosen under your skills, you should be using that weapon in combat. If you chose Short Sword, for example, you should be using a short sword, or suffer penatlies in combat. You need to buy and equip the weapon you chose under your skills. The skill with the weapon you have chosen on character generation will also increase more rapidly than other weapons.

Anyway, persevere with the game, because it does get better.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
If you want actiaon you're playing the wrong game, this is a true story driven RPG not an action RPG.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Game is great. If you aren't using a weapon that fits your highest skill level, you'll miss most of the time. Don't walk from town to town unless you have to - that's what stilt striders are for.
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

How come all the morrowind topics become flame wars :(?

Anyway i pref morrowind over oblivion for alot of reasons...

carlosjuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 carlosjuero
Member since 2008 • 1254 Posts
Morrowind pretty much spelled the end of the 'old school' RPG era - ones that didn't hold your hand every step of the way, that made you think about your quest and figure out where the pointers were leading you. Not liking Morrowind isn't a bad thing, it just means that particular type of RPG isn't up your alley - I grew up on RPG's that didn't even have maps (you had to use graph paper) so Morrowind and I get along very well. I like Oblivion as well, but mainly for the graphic beauty of the locations - I don't care for its main story line much at all [thats opinion remember] - I found Morrowind to be much more engaging, though with a higher learning curve than most modern games.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17779 Posts
i agree on the journal and the combat isnt great. but slow running can be fixed by either running more (i think...its been a while since i played) or using the various travel services to get to places (theres no free instant travel unless you create it yourself). my char is a speed demon. will the game get better? well the combat doesnt. you get better stuff to twack bigger monsters with....thats about it. everythign else will get better though and morrowind is a very interesting place to explore.
Jordo321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jordo321
Member since 2008 • 884 Posts
Join a guild (especially the mage one). Also, create a "increase jump height" spell that is super high, and jump 1/4 of the entire world with each jump. That's what I did on the original xbox, didn't even need striders anymore lol.
keren_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40 keren_man
Member since 2009 • 191 Posts

I played Morrowind for a while but after i play oblivion, oblivion is much better than morrowind in my opinion

Great Story, Great Gameplay, and Great Graphic that is Oblivion look like for me

StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

Join a guild (especially the mage one). Also, create a "increase jump height" spell that is super high, and jump 1/4 of the entire world with each jump. That's what I did on the original xbox, didn't even need striders anymore lol.Jordo321

Also, using the "boots of blinding speed" in conjunction with mark and recall spells works wonders. People who complain about the travel in Morrowind typically didn't take the time to discover these things...they were spoiled by the fast travel system in Oblivion. Lazy.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

Also... My brother allways said "OBLIVION >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Morrowind"... Then i "forced" him to play morrowind for a while... Well forced and forced.. I told him to play it for more then 5min / day...

Then a while later he came by and said "... Dude you are correct! Morrowind is better" :P

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dakan45

How come all the morrowind topics become flame wars :(?

Anyway i pref morrowind over oblivion for alot of reasons...

KalDurenik
Actually i thank the users for keeping the thread into shape and not start a long term argument with the nay says like me. Lets keep all threads as varied as this one from now on.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19551 Posts

I just bought the deluxe Elder Scrolls package off of Steam. I began playing Morrowind and it is so boring! The speed that you walk at takes ages to get to the next town. Also, the combat is the worst I have ever seen. I'll be hacking and whacking at an enemy with my dagger, and it seems to miss about 70 percent of the time. I also think the journal system isn't that great. I am definitely trying to give this game a chance, because of it's appraisal and I have only been playing it for a couple hours. Will this game get better?

C3Le5tiaL

Walking/running speeds are slow at first, until you upgrade your athletics skill.
Getting to towns also becomes easier once you start using the ferry options, teleportation, levitation and water-walking spells, etc.
The combat is fine - your character is an unskilled and pathetically weak ex-con at the moment, and the game reflects that by not letting you hit things until you've got some training.

Anyway, I disliked those things at first, too. I even abandonned the game pretty early on...then I came back to it a few months later and lost well over 150 hours to it...so yeah, I'd definitely say that it gets better once your character starts becoming more powerful.

As for the journal system, if you've got the expansion packs then it isn't too bad. It isn't entirely clear either, but I find that encouraged me to do a lot of exploration, so in that sense it actually made the game more enjoyable for me (following rumours around, rather than set instructions and a quest marker).

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

Keep at it, I was one of the people who couldn't get into Morrowind. Now that I've gotten into it, it is one of the most engaging games I've ever played.

danb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 danb0
Member since 2004 • 445 Posts
Yes it gets a lot better but you have to put in a fair amount of time and upgrade the right stats for it to get better. Don't worry, I went through the same thing as you at the beginning, you just need to be patient.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 dakan45
Yes it gets a lot better but you have to put in a fair amount of time and upgrade the right stats for it to get better. Don't worry, I went through the same thing as you at the beginning, you just need to be patient.danb0
Not flamming or anything. But i was patient for more than 20 hours. How long did it took you to get better and in which main story quest. Just asking to see if i dropped it too soon.
morrowindnic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 morrowindnic
Member since 2004 • 1541 Posts

Give the game a chance, Morrowind is one of THE best games ever made.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19551 Posts

Not flamming or anything. But i was patient for more than 20 hours. How long did it took you to get better and in which main story quest. Just asking to see if i dropped it too soon.dakan45

For me, I started seriously having fun with the game once I got enough money to start messing around with the enchantment system (giving myself levitation charms and whatnot), and also once I'd found a decent House to side with. Or maybe it was when I was able to start killing things effectively, I don't recall.

As for which main story quest, I don't think I did them until much later in the game - they're interesting, but I preferred just exploring the world and exploiting whatever I could (at least until the better later quests/awesome rewards).

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dakan45
Well if thats the case i am gonna remain on "pass" i did alot of exploration and killing in morrowind but i didnt not find the same feeling i get when i look at oblivion beautifull landscapes, neither the erxploring addiction that i found in fallout 3. Also i like being weak and have to kill monsters alot to level up, but it did not feel like say borderlands or diablo that you start killing everything in order to level up. Basicly combat took too long. I attacked monsters for centuries till they die and i can move on. :(