More and more games requiring higher cores and GPU memory

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mattamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mattamomo
Member since 2010 • 929 Posts

Is this purely to do with the release of new consoles which run a 8 core set up and 8gb of DDR5 ram?

Some games now need a i7 just to max them out, and GPUs with anything less than 3gb memory seem to be causing problems

Curious as to know how much longer the i5 will be relevant for maxed out gaming, as it has always been the standard.

And what is the reasoning for the sudden change in requirements for games which seem to be getting more and more poorly optimised.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

Multicore use in gaming is way behind time. The consoles have certainly helped, although they don't use 8Gb DDR5 RAM. (eg: the PS4 has 8GB total GDDR5 and only a max of about 3.5/4.5 is available as a framebuffer)

It was going to go this way anyway as certain games were already benefitting from multicores, the Vram is only a problem if you're using lots of AA, have a very high res or the game is badly coded/console port.

mattamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mattamomo

@klunt_bumskrint:

Yh, I am hoping an X99 set up becomes affordable quickly so i can make use of the shockingly cheap 5820k and hopefully get some nice futureproofing into my system.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@mattamomo said:

Is this purely to do with the release of new consoles which run a 8 core set up and 8gb of DDR5 ram?

Some games now need a i7 just to max them out, and GPUs with anything less than 3gb memory seem to be causing problems

Curious as to know how much longer the i5 will be relevant for maxed out gaming, as it has always been the standard.

And what is the reasoning for the sudden change in requirements for games which seem to be getting more and more poorly optimised.

Let's clear some things:

Bad PC ports will enjoy more power, the answer is really simple: instead of buying i7 that costs 300+$ I'd go and buy myself a brand new console.

i5 will be always be the best for gaming and gaming only, i7 is for small editors and AMD CPUs are meant for tight budget builds.

The reason for more poorly optimized games is consoles, as they sell more so devs become lazy to put equal effort so the PC gamers will enjoy as much as console do.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts
@klunt_bumskrint said:
the Vram is only a problem if you're using lots of AA, have a very high res or the game is badly coded/console port.

If this was a decription for a screenshot from a game, it would had wrriten Watchdogs all over it xD

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

@Coseniath said:
@klunt_bumskrint said:
the Vram is only a problem if you're using lots of AA, have a very high res or the game is badly coded/console port.

If this was a decription for a screenshot from a game, it would had wrriten Watchdogs all over it xD

LOL, that's totally what was in my head as I was writing it!

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts
@klunt_bumskrint said:

@Coseniath said:
@klunt_bumskrint said:

LOL, that's totally what was in my head as I was writing it!

It was the only game that crossed my mind after reading this too!!!

I think it took the crown from GTAIV.

The king is dead. Long live the King!

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Games? What games? Watch dogs? The most RAM I've seen games recommend is 8gb, and rarely do games require more than 4 it seems. 8gb of RAM has been beneficial for games since what...2010? Toms Hardware did some memory charts way back when and showed upgrading from 6gb to 8gb in 2010 and some earlier games showed a 3% FPS improvement, as well as eliminating stutter - so I have no doubt that RAM is significantly more beneficial with games these days. That's why I upgraded from 6gb to 16gb.

Similar to games and VRAM. We've been floating around the same VRAM usage for awhile, I'm not surprised than 2GB is being exceed if you're trying to max games these days at 1080P. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if games comes out in the next year which make 4k gaming a lot more unfeasible than it already is.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@mattamomo: it's 8gb of GDDR5 not DDR5 and no games require an i7 to max out.

Also no games have problems with less than 3gb of Vram apart from maybe watchdogs which was a wank port

Many companies just list the best hardware out as recommended specs

Also games are not getting more poorly optimized,a handful of bad ports from repeat offenders is not even close to the whole pc gaming market

You are wrong in almost everything you have said.

Avatar image for gogoplexiorayo2
Gogoplexiorayo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#10 Gogoplexiorayo2
Member since 2013 • 189 Posts

Maybe i did a mistake by jumping up to 1440p. Man that resolution is going to kill my 780 ti next year...

mattamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mattamomo

@KHAndAnime: Metro . . .

It benefits massively from having an i7

mattamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mattamomo

Also naz you kinda proved what i said with the "repeat offenders"

Big games that are cross platform are always going to have a few blockbusters that are poorly optimized for a 4 core set up.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@mattamomo: yes but in the bigger picture it is the tiniest amount of games, you say it is more and more like it is getting worse..when it isnt

mattamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mattamomo

@naz99:

But the question is do you want to build a system knowing you will suffer in a good couple of the blockbuster games you are looking forward to playing?

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

@mattamomo said:

Let's clear some things:

Bad PC ports will enjoy more power, the answer is really simple: instead of buying i7 that costs 300+$ I'd go and buy myself a brand new console.

i5 will be always be the best for gaming and gaming only, i7 is for small editors and AMD CPUs are meant for tight budget builds.

The reason for more poorly optimized games is consoles, as they sell more so devs become lazy to put equal effort so the PC gamers will enjoy as much as console do.

You can't max a game without upgrading to an i7, so you should just spend even more money on a console that will play the game at lower settings than your PC will with the i5? In what universe does that make sense? These games are not maxed on the PS4. Most of them aren't even 1080p on the Xbox One.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@mattamomo said:

@KHAndAnime: Metro . . .

It benefits massively from having an i7

I thought Metro 2033 was a GPU-focused title. Going from i3-2120 to i5-3550, yields what...a 5 FPS boost? An i7 would be what...a 10 FPS boost, if even that? Upgrading to the highest end from the low end for 10 measly frames doesn't sound like it would be a massive benefit considering the cost difference. In fact, compared to upgrading your graphics card, it sounds like a complete waste of coin.

Unless you're talking about the Redux - I haven't seen any performance charts for that version of the game.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GeryGo  Moderator

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@PredatorRules said:

@mattamomo said:

Let's clear some things:

You can't max a game without upgrading to an i7, so you should just spend even more money on a console that will play the game at lower settings than your PC will with the i5? In what universe does that make sense? These games are not maxed on the PS4. Most of them aren't even 1080p on the Xbox One.

He was clearly talking about bad ports and what's the deal with the "can't max a game without i7?" you seriously don't game much stating such a thing.

Difference between ports to PC and console versions isn't that much that worth spending more money on a beasty PC.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@PredatorRules said:

@mattamomo said:

Let's clear some things:

He was clearly talking about bad ports and what's the deal with the "can't max a game without i7?" you seriously don't game much stating such a thing.

Difference between ports to PC and console versions isn't that much that worth spending more money on a beasty PC.

The solution to not maxing a game is not to go purchase a console that will run the game worse than your current PC.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GeryGo  Moderator

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@PredatorRules said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@PredatorRules said:

@mattamomo said:

Let's clear some things:

The solution to not maxing a game is not to go purchase a console that will run the game worse than your current PC.

Yeah, I think I'd rather go and grab Xbox One or PS4 instead of getting i7 anytime, just think of all the exclusive games...