Modern Warfare 2 LAN Support? Anyone confirming LAN other than this news link?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GunnyHath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 GunnyHath
Member since 2007 • 743 Posts

I realise they've removed the dedicated server function, but that doesn't mean there won't be listen server based LAN support for PC people.

This news article seems to confirm LAN, however I am unwilling to trust one source of information, so if anyone else has other news articles that also confirm (with dates newer than the one posted) LAN, please post links.

http://www.mygaming.co.za/news/News/4446-More-Modern-Warfare-details-emerge.html

Avatar image for FatalNeurotoxin
FatalNeurotoxin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 FatalNeurotoxin
Member since 2009 • 28 Posts

The problem with Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer (besides no servers and no mods) is that it runs over Steam (correct me if I am wrong), this means that instead of playing locally with only one copy of the game installed on every computer, you need to have multiple purchased copies of Modern Warfare 2 and multiple steam accounts.

Because of a recent update to steam, you cannot login to the same account with multiple computers.

Unfortunately, having multiple copies of MW2 for a LAN game would be theoretically the same as playing over the internet, so unless there is a way to run the same version of MW2's multiplayer at once on separate PCs, your question is irrelevant. :cry:

sammysalsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 sammysalsa
Member since 2004 • 1832 Posts

The problem with Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer (besides no servers and no mods) is that it runs over Steam (correct me if I am wrong), this means that instead of playing locally with only one copy of the game installed on every computer, you need to have multiple purchased copies of Modern Warfare 2 and multiple steam accounts.

Because of a recent update to steam, you cannot login to the same account with multiple computers.

Unfortunately, having multiple copies of MW2 for a LAN game would be theoretically the same as playing over the internet, so unless there is a way to run the same version of MW2's multiplayer at once on separate PCs, your question is irrelevant. :cry:

FatalNeurotoxin

Unless you run steam in offline mode, then how would it know?

And if you're lanning then it dosen't matter if you're online. (unless you need to be logged into something to play, i don't actually have the game)

MondeEdlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MondeEdlu
Member since 2005 • 181 Posts

id say its definately doable one way or another (eg. look at net cafes/web lounge lanning) and since you bought it u might aswell enjoy it the way you want to.

DOF_power

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DOF_power
Member since 2008 • 804 Posts

Yes it is possible, ditto for dedicated servers and the developer console, and soon to come the lean function.

IW/Activision and steam have been defeated.

Avatar image for FatalNeurotoxin
FatalNeurotoxin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 FatalNeurotoxin
Member since 2009 • 28 Posts

[QUOTE="FatalNeurotoxin"]

sammysalsa

Unless you run steam in offline mode, then how would it know?

And if you're lanning then it dosen't matter if you're online. (unless you need to be logged into something to play, i don't actually have the game)

The legal versions of the game run over steam and REQUIRE it to be online, there is no LAN play in MW2; however, I'm pretty sure that there is an illegal way around it...if you look hard enough. I tried to run MW2 Multiplayer in Steam Offline and it will not function, the only way to play this game legally with another person is if you both have copies.