This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for chendigitydog05
chendigitydog05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 chendigitydog05
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Hi guys,

Im new to MMORPG's but not new to gaming by any means. I have reacently downloaded and have been playing the Lord of the Rings Online beta(the first MMORPG i gave a chance because i love lord of the rings) and something hit me. Where is the fun and skill in these games? I am probably very uneducated in the genre so feel free to correct me, but where is the fun and compettion in wandering a vast earth just trying to level up your character. This genre has is exploding right now and every month you hear news about a new MMORPG and i do not see the excitment. To me if feels like whoever plays the longest and gains virtual experience will be the best.Thats not any fun for the casual gamer and is the reason why we hear horror stories of gamming adiction. What happened to the great online genre games such as all the FPS's like Unreal Tournament, Quake, Counter Strike. RTS's like C and C, Warcraft, and Age of empires series. What about Sports games and fighting games. These games took skill. The experience gained through these was real physical knowledge of combos and timing, precision and  patience. It may sound dumb but its true. Try joining an advanced server for your first time playing and watch yourslef did over and over and people jump around and snipe you with precision pulling of incredible shots and combos. Why do you think they have nationwide tournaments for these game to declare a winner? Because it takes skill. Is that possilbe for games such as WoW, or would it be more like crowning the biggest loser becaus he devoted his life to building up his virtual chracter. Is the skill in WoW knowing when to use which power? Wheres the skill in sitting back and hitting the auto attack button and watching your character dominate everyone? I understand there are some great features in this genre such as the ever growing and expandable community as well as the team work but to me the combat and point of the game seems very flawed. I understand the other genres i mentioned above are still going strong but i would hope they are not eventually overtaken by MMORPG's. I also hope for the future of this genre that people try and rethink the combat system and try to focus more on the HUMAN PLAYER rather then the players chracter or virtual representation.

I bet i probably offended many MMORPG fanboys so i would love to hear what you have to say
and hoppefully there are a few of you out there who agree with me. Feedback is encouraged.

Cheers,

Dave 

SLandeRR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 SLandeRR
Member since 2007 • 301 Posts
Your right, most mmorpg are just one long grind, but there are many other online games. As you mentioned C and C, there are plenty of people playing that online, especially once they get all the bugs sorted, and the batlefield series, tons of people play them, so not all online gaming is mmorpg.
bri360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bri360
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts
MMORPG's are different, they do take allot of skill, but its a different kind of skill. First of all you need allot of patience for this game to lvl up your character. In the beginning skill is not much of a factor, but when you get to higher levels and play against other characters, if you gave to skill lol trust me you wont survive. You need to know how to combo your attacks to deal out as much damage as you can. Personally MMO's are my favorite genre but its not for everyone.
bibbalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 bibbalo
Member since 2004 • 30 Posts
I am a fan of RPG's and thus you would think that I would like MMO-RPG's.  Things that keep me back are 1) the lack of involvement in combat (clicking auto-attack, and waiting to use skills...)  and 2) the forced grouping to get past the introductory levels.  But I rejoice and you all should as well!!!  Read up on Age of Conan, this MMO is going to revolutionize the genre.  In the past such a feat as real-time combat would not be possible, but now that we have the technology for it... why not?  I believe that real-time combat will be the future for MMO's, and that it will be highly interactive and require skill.  Read up on it and watch a video or two, and you will be convinced as well.
Anime910

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Anime910
Member since 2003 • 93 Posts
I think the skill comes in when you make effective character builds and using the right skills to take advantage of your opponent. I notice that some(although a lot dont) require good comunication skills, dont expect to have to much fun or get very far without even talking to a single person or forming a party. I bet a lower level character with enough experience and skill with the game can beat a person that is not so skilled in the game but has a higher level character. Obviously if the level gap is large then dont expect a victory.
the_hippo207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 the_hippo207
Member since 2007 • 45 Posts

some MMOs don't require it and some do. Guild Wars (to some this may not even be considered an MMO) relies alot on strategy timing spells and attacks just right to do maximum damage and so does World of Warcraft (WoW has more grind tho). Everquest (even though I do love the game) requires no skill, just time. It sometimes just depends on how you percieve skill.

In my eyes, the reson MMOs are so fun is the feeling of reward after you lvl up, beat the hell out of someone in pvp, or just buying new armor. It's like the life us nerds have always wanted. 

timma25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 timma25
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts
"...MMORPG is like... for people that think chattings a skill or somtin..." ~Pure Pwnage
the_hsoj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 the_hsoj
Member since 2006 • 1289 Posts

try guild wars it has a 20 level cap so you wont have to worry to much about levels and its very skill based. It requires some skill and strategy to be good at it. Plus theres no monthly fee. 

xenophone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xenophone
Member since 2004 • 251 Posts
MMO's can offer people experiences that no other genre of game has.  Namely, massive social interaction.  You said in the original post that you don't understand why people enjoy playing MMO's when they're largely about exploring a vast world.  Well that is one of the things that MMO's offer that people really love: exploration.  But there is plenty of skill involved.  It's just not twitch.  RPG's are more about planning and long term strategy.
FragMonkey09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FragMonkey09
Member since 2005 • 1543 Posts
Go play Eve Online and try some fleet combat. If you don't have the skills to operate your ships and role, you might as well not even join the fight.
Nayab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nayab
Member since 2003 • 213 Posts
Conan adventures is goign to require some skill, as u will be able to side step, jump, run and attack, block and set up many different combo attacks with ur sword. that will definatly change the way RPGs are played. I guess u could sort of compare it to an online Oblivion IV.
raven_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 raven_5
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I can Definitely agree with all that say Age Of Conan will require skill , plus i want to add that it will need strategy ( remember u will built cities and try conquer ) in WoW there is not so much skill needed only for some classes . I actually play wow but i am looking forward for AoC . Skill guys u have it or u don't!
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Read up on Age of Conan, this MMO is going to revolutionize the genre. In the past such a feat as real-time combat would not be possible, but now that we have the technology for it... why not? I believe that real-time combat will be the future for MMO's, and that it will be highly interactive and require skill. bibbalo

There alreay are MMORPGs with real-time combat. Dungeons and Dragons Online is the first one that comes to my mind. So, adding real-time combat to a MMORPG really isn't that revolutionary anymore.

Conan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 Conan1985
Member since 2007 • 99 Posts

try guild wars it has a 20 level cap so you wont have to worry to much about levels and its very skill based. It requires some skill and strategy to be good at it. Plus theres nomonthly fee.

the_hsoj

Nooooo guild wars is aweful... In my opinion its more about making friends working as a team and there is some skill involved in the end game stuff. Aswell as pvp....not saying its like Unreal Tournament but anyone who says there is no skill is wrong in my opinion....check this guy for example....his gear is crap...but he beats people with WAY better gear. http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-7505574532023614998&q=Vurtne&total=109&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

Conan will have more skill than these more conventional onesbut to say theres nothing to them is wrong. That doesnt convince you? Check out Sorrow Hill (Otherguy)