MMO - can't decide.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

npcbacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 npcbacon
Member since 2007 • 44 Posts
So i'm going to buy a mmorpg for pc and I can't decide between world of warcraft, guild wars, or d&d online. Can someone please help me buy telling me the advantages and disadvantages of each. And how big the community is for each. Thank you.
teh_leeto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 teh_leeto
Member since 2006 • 141 Posts

You can't really compare GW and WoW because they are pretty different, but here goes

WoW - Traditional MMORPG;HUGH Playerbase;Lots of Good, Fairly Varied Quests;Good PvP;Professions(crafting) is cool

GW - Action Based;Not TRULY MMO (only see others in towns or in party);no true crafting;GREAT PvP;BIG Playerbase;"Missions" are cool sometimes;some neat skills; no monthly fees

DnD - Smaller Playerbase; that's all i know

For a Everquest-type mmo, go with WoW. If you want something more action based and less MMOish, go with GW

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
All of them have free trials.
Avatar image for thehandsread730
thehandsread730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thehandsread730
Member since 2004 • 415 Posts

WoW has the largest user base of any MMO and is by far the most accessable and polished of the 3. Guild Wars, while good, is not even in the same league as WoW. You never really get that sense of community since you only really interact in small "hubs". The rest of the game is instanced. As for D&D, I can't really comment since I've never played it.

My advice is to get a 10 day WoW trial from a local game retailer and give it a shot. Chances are if you don't like WoW, you won't like the other two since WoW is arguably the best in the genre.

BobZany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 BobZany
Member since 2004 • 1407 Posts

I would definitely check out the free trials. WoW easily has the biggest user base. Guild Wars usually has a decent number of people on. Some of the areas can be dead at times, though. Some of the mission towns for Factions are pretty abandoned at times.

All three of the games you listed are fairly different. WoW is basically your traditional EQ/AC type MMO. There are instanced dungeons, but it has a large persistent world. Guild Wars has some MMO elements, but it's really a Diablo type action game with an MMO interface. There's grouping and what not, but everything outside of town is instanced. The level cap is pretty low, as well.

Dungeons and Dragons is mostly instanced, as well. The game has a lot in common with Guild Wars in that way. The level cap is also pretty low. I haven't played D&D that much, but the emphasis seemed to be more on shared adventure. You don't gain experience by killing individual mobs, but by completing a quest. Your quests each go with a particular small instanced area. There's even dungeon master type narration in places. It reminded me of when I played the pnp D&D years back. You had your adventure, and then handed out experience once it was complete.

The community for D&D is pretty small. I didn't play long enough to see how they were compared to in other games, though.

Dendalyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Dendalyn
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

I've played a freaking ton of MMO's... To avoid fanboys screaming and bashing other MMO's the best thing to do is try the free trails... You won't beable to see the real depth of any of the games, which is what seperates them but it will give you a chance to feel them out. Currently I've gone back to Everquest 2 which has a free trail. If you're new to MMO's WoW is a good start while Everquest 2 has a bit more depth and adult feel. Guild wars is great for pvp, but I didn't really like its player vs environment. D&D online I can't comment much on cause I never it played it. Go out and play the free trials is the best advice

VinnoT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 VinnoT
Member since 2003 • 4649 Posts
If I was you. Id not play any of those and play Anarchy Online instead. Or perhaps planetside!
skrabblagg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 skrabblagg
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Here's the best advice of the thread: don't play any of them. MMORPGS FTL.
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts
Out of those three WoW definitely. If there's one MMO you also shouldn't miss out on it's EVE online. One of the best MMO experiences you can have outside of WoW.(And in some cases better)
Raziel1921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Raziel1921
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
from my experience I'd have to say WOW but you may prefer something esle, FF11 is also a good choice.
npcbacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 npcbacon
Member since 2007 • 44 Posts
Thanks guys. I guess i'll just try all the free tirals and look into anarchy online, eve, and planetside. Thanks abunch.
TenderBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 TenderBox
Member since 2006 • 289 Posts

1. Dark Age of Camelot--Classic servers

2. EverQuest2-- If your looking for more of an adult community

3. Lord of the Rings Online -- interesting game with a pretty good community

4. World of Warcraft -- All the players have really huge hands in the game. It kind of freaks me out. BTW my husband lives and breaths WoW and he tells me it should be #1.

5. Try a few free trials and always play what you enjoy.

Baphomet_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Baphomet_X
Member since 2007 • 61 Posts

So i'm going to buy a mmorpg for pc and I can't decide between world of warcraft, guild wars, or d&d online. Can someone please help me buy telling me the advantages and disadvantages of each. And how big the community is for each. Thank you.npcbacon

Well since GW doesn't have a fee, I'd start there. If you like that, but want something more in depth, then try wow.