Mmm... Quadcore...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts

Hey I got a tipoff to this really good (I think?) PC website called "www.ibuypower.com."! Right now my goal is to play Crysis on at least medium/high settings. And so I found this comp! It's a Quadcore! But I have a question. Are Quadcores really that much more useful/powerful than Core 2 Duos? Like, would I be better off saving some money and going with a Core 2 Duo? Thanks in advance for the help! (p.s. I've always been a console gamer but now I'm making the jump to PCs so right now I'm pretty much a total noob :P)

Oh and here are the specs for the comp that I'm considering! What do you think?

Xion Dazl Gaming Tower Case w/420W Power Supply

Standard Case Power Supply

Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (4x 2.4GHz/8MB L2 Cache/1066FSB)

Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink

2048MB DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair-Value

NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB w/DVI + TV Out Video

160 GB Hard Drive (Serial-ATA-II, 3GB, 7200 RPM, 8M Cache)

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

The quad core is not truely a quad core.. And as of right now it does not outperform the E6600 on stock speeds... But this can be changed if you overclock it.. Its more future proof then a Core duo.. Suggest you read reviews on it..

And I suggest you BUILD your computer instead of waste money ona prebuilt one.

rusty587

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 rusty587
Member since 2004 • 31 Posts

Yeah its very good PC, Quad Core is and Dual Core are both very good and almost same, it depends if its extreme duo or conroe or quad extreme. If I where you I'd save a couple dollars enough to make that 8800GTS a GTX, some say there is'nt much of difference but there actually is. My rig is almost like the one you describe, look at my signature...and I run games like DiRT, Fear, HL2, Company of Heroes, NFS and Oblivion all at max settings and resolution.

Oh, and if you want to make a computer from a Website with SLI or make any nice rig visit this link..its full of computer pages to costumize depending on your taste and budget.

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_buyprebuilt_us2.html

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts
that power supply is a little skimpy for that system..i wouldnt plan on OCing
Zandeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Zandeus
Member since 2006 • 3124 Posts
I'd go with a Core Duo2 instead of the Quad and get 4Gigs of RAM instead of 2.
fourier404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 fourier404
Member since 2006 • 515 Posts
Eh, you really don't need 4 Gigs of ram at the moment. It'll only get cheaper so just get 2x1gb for now and upgrade when it becomes necessary. But yeah, quad core is both unnecessary and less powerful at the moment.
Unstoppable_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Unstoppable_1
Member since 2003 • 2005 Posts

4 gigs ram is not good on 32 bit system just get 3. honestly i'd build oneif I was you. Check out the one I put together for 1550$ with shipping. It's not hard to build your own computer.

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=5705512

You can build a similar dual core setup for 800-1000$ building is always better trust me.

Zandeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Zandeus
Member since 2006 • 3124 Posts
Why is 4 Gigs not a good idea??? I'm not doubting you, I just wanna know, as I might be buying some more RAM for my rig in the near future. Currently @ 2Gigs of 800Mhz, was gonna jump to 4, but if you're right then I'll just get 1 more Gig and call it quits.
shadow0205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 shadow0205
Member since 2006 • 218 Posts

Why is 4 Gigs not a good idea??? I'm not doubting you, I just wanna know, as I might be buying some more RAM for my rig in the near future. Currently @ 2Gigs of 800Mhz, was gonna jump to 4, but if you're right then I'll just get 1 more Gig and call it quits.Zandeus

because only 64bit OS can use 4 gigs of RAM to its full potential i dont even know if a 32 bit can run 3 gigs but i might be wrong

smokerz911k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 smokerz911k
Member since 2003 • 45 Posts

[QUOTE="Zandeus"]Why is 4 Gigs not a good idea??? I'm not doubting you, I just wanna know, as I might be buying some more RAM for my rig in the near future. Currently @ 2Gigs of 800Mhz, was gonna jump to 4, but if you're right then I'll just get 1 more Gig and call it quits.shadow0205

because only 64bit OS can use 4 gigs of RAM to its full potential i dont even know if a 32 bit can run 3 gigs but i might be wrong

running it right now :D having battlefield 2142 on alt tab does make my comp a little cranky :P

shadow0205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 shadow0205
[QUOTE="shadow0205"]

[QUOTE="Zandeus"]Why is 4 Gigs not a good idea??? I'm not doubting you, I just wanna know, as I might be buying some more RAM for my rig in the near future. Currently @ 2Gigs of 800Mhz, was gonna jump to 4, but if you're right then I'll just get 1 more Gig and call it quits.smokerz911k

running it right now :D having battlefield 2142 on alt tab does make my comp a little cranky :P

ok then i was wrong:P

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Forerunner-117

So... I should get a Core 2 Duo instead?

And to all those who say that I should build my own comp... I'm a complete noob when it comes to computers! It's something I'm trying to work on but right now I just really don't have much knowledge in that area.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Been hearing that the Q6600 runs very hot on stock speeds.. Can any one confirm this?

shadow0205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 shadow0205

So... I should get a Core 2 Duo instead?

And to all those who say that I should build my own comp... I'm a complete noob when it comes to computers! It's something I'm trying to work on but right now I just really don't have much knowledge in that area.

Forerunner-117

honestly its not that hard to build ur own but anyway if u want to be future proof for a wile get a quad-core but a duo should be fine for some time so really its all up to u

get a quad-core=future proof
get a duo=good enough for mabby a year or 2

rusty587

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rusty587
Member since 2004 • 31 Posts
If you want to build a computer and don't know how, go to you local computer store or something like that and tell them how much you want to spend on it and for them to explain you difference between quad dual and all that, after all it's their job.
yellowdatsun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 yellowdatsun
Member since 2007 • 583 Posts
yeah dude building your own pc isnt all that its cracked up to be. i just got all my parts from new egg and im having problems galore. just one thing after another..i still dont have it running yet.
blackacidevl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 blackacidevl
Member since 2003 • 172 Posts
i suggest you research for a week or two about the parts and what they do. have a friend help if you have any friends that know about it. if not, join a pc forum online. then get another week of researching the products you buy and try to build. trust me its a very fun experience and makes you feel good when you create your first own computer. and youll save money too! but this should all be in fun and a learning experience. go ahead and stop calling yourself a noob . just takes a few hours of study and youll master the basics the rest is simple.

Good luck man hope you choose to build instead. ( slick deals.net and newegg.com are your friends for such tasks . also the google. gots tah use the googles.)
Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Forerunner-117

yeah dude building your own pc isnt all that its cracked up to be. i just got all my parts from new egg and im having problems galore. just one thing after another..i still dont have it running yet.yellowdatsun

Oh geez really? See that's what I'm worried about! I don't want to like screw up the comp while I'm building it! lmao

And is building your own really that much cheaper? Like say I wanted a comp like the one whose specs I just posted, how much cheaper for like the same thing just built by me?

bignice12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bignice12
Member since 2003 • 2124 Posts
If your building this computer to play Crysis, remember Crysis will utilize all 4 cores so I think it is worth it to get a Quad. Terrible PSU btw, you dont want to get bioshocked.
Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Forerunner-117

i suggest you research for a week or two about the parts and what they do. have a friend help if you have any friends that know about it. if not, join a pc forum online. then get another week of researching the products you buy and try to build. trust me its a very fun experience and makes you feel good when you create your first own computer. and youll save money too! but this should all be in fun and a learning experience. go ahead and stop calling yourself a noob . just takes a few hours of study and youll master the basics the rest is simple.

Good luck man hope you choose to build instead. ( slick deals.net and newegg.com are your friends for such tasks . also the google. gots tah use the googles.)
blackacidevl

Hmm... yeah that might be a good idea... Any sites that you recommend? And I think my friend is really good with comps so he could prolly help me if I chooe this route. Hahaha yeah I have to admit that if I did build a comp (and it worked and it was kick@$$) I would probably experience an enormous feeling of accomplishment :D lol and ok I'll stop calling myself a noob :P Yeah I keep hearing about newegg.com and I've also heard about slickdeals.net so I'll prolly have to check those out.

finch9600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 finch9600
Member since 2004 • 87 Posts
that psu won't support a quad core and an 8800. no way in hell. get at LEAST 600W if you aren't overclocking. but quad core will tear any duo up in quad-supported applications. and about building your own computer... it's really REALLY not that hard. if you follow guides online and aren't an idiot in general the only real "problems" you will have are defective parts. a faulty psu, mobo or processor can cause a headache but that's why there is such a forgiving return policy on computer outlet sites. so i say expand your horizons and build your own pc because it really is cheaper and will teach you about the pc so you won't have to call the indian tech support line for every little problem.
Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Forerunner-117
I also heard that you can buy the individual parts that you want for your PC but then take them to Office Max and have them put it together. Any truth in that?
Ugotownedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ugotownedo
Member since 2007 • 442 Posts
For Crysis, you'd want a Quad-core. The Quad-cores right now aren't very good, so I think you might want to wait until later on this year, until better ones come. There's nothing wrong with getting a Quad-core though.
Ugotownedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ugotownedo
Member since 2007 • 442 Posts

"There's nothing wrong with getting a Quad-core though."

Sorry I meant Dual-core.

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Forerunner-117

"There's nothing wrong with getting a Quad-core though."

Sorry I meant Dual-core.

Ugotownedo

Oh better ones are coming? Hmm...

Well the only thing about getting a Dual-core is that it sounds like (from what I've heard at least) it'll onlylast for like a year or two :/

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Forerunner-117
Well the Intel Core 2 Quad Processor (4x2.4GHz) is really good right? Argh I'm tired at looking at a bajillion different PC's, cards, processors, etc. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I'm prolly just gonna end up going with a comp like the one i mentioned earlier.
blackacidevl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blackacidevl
Member since 2003 • 172 Posts
prolly try this
http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/
for a guide if you need some help putting it together. ive been helping my friend learn about components because ive talked him into learning how to build instead of shelling out too much money for a meah computer.

as for a forum im not to sure but i would prolly try
http://forums.jinx.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58826
i used that for a while when i built my first . not much to it man just gotta have the will . heck my first computer took a week to research parts and only 5 hours to put it together the first time. also feel free to open up your current computer and poke around ( dont die :( ) that helps a lot too. and again another person helping you will make the learning process a lot quicker and maybe help clear things up if forumers dont want to answer you ( rude forums :( )
nicola1932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nicola1932
Member since 2005 • 241 Posts

definitely there's only a slight difference between the gts and gtx 8800 card;it's not worth while tha change...........

it would be a lot better to wait for the new g92 and buy the 8900-9000 series instead!

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Forerunner-117

prolly try this
http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/
for a guide if you need some help putting it together. ive been helping my friend learn about components because ive talked him into learning how to build instead of shelling out too much money for a meah computer.

as for a forum im not to sure but i would prolly try
http://forums.jinx.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58826
i used that for a while when i built my first . not much to it man just gotta have the will . heck my first computer took a week to research parts and only 5 hours to put it together the first time. also feel free to open up your current computer and poke around ( dont die :( ) that helps a lot too. and again another person helping you will make the learning process a lot quicker and maybe help clear things up if forumers dont want to answer you ( rude forums :( )
blackacidevl

Hey thanks a lot for the links man! Yeah it's just confusing with like the multitude of different brands, specs, and versions lol But yeah i REALLY don't wanna have to pay $1500 for a quadcore so i'm hoping that maybe i can get one for... less than $1100? do you think it's possible to build a kick@$$ gaming pc for that price? oh and a question! my friend said i should avoid athlons at all costs. lol is he just crazy or is there something wrong with athlon or what?