Minecraft - What's the point?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
#1 Posted by MrSelf-Destruct (13400 posts) -

Hey, guys, I just got Minecraft the other night, and have already spent hours just tearing things apart and building my own things. I'm wondering if that's all you do though. I noticed that when night falls various creatures will wander up and kill me. Am I supposed to be finding some way to fight them or what? I'm having plenty of fun just building stuff, but is there a hidden element to this game that I'm missing?

#2 Posted by KalDurenik (3768 posts) -

Hey, guys, I just got Minecraft the other night, and have already spent hours just tearing things apart and building my own things. I'm wondering if that's all you do though. I noticed that when night falls various creatures will wander up and kill me. Am I supposed to be finding some way to fight them or what? I'm having plenty of fun just building stuff, but is there a hidden element to this game that I'm missing?

MrSelf-Destruct
Well the game is in beta right now. So you can either play online or alone. The goal is to survive and build anything you want. Unless ofc you play on peaceful then the goal is just to build anything. Overall my suggestion is to get a friend or two and build together :P
#3 Posted by MrSelf-Destruct (13400 posts) -
[QUOTE="KalDurenik"][QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"]

Well the game is in beta right now. So you can either play online or alone. The goal is to survive and build anything you want. Unless ofc you play on peaceful then the goal is just to build anything. Overall my suggestion is to get a friend or two and build together :P

Ok then. Sounds great. Thanks! ;)
#4 Posted by Lucianu (10283 posts) -

MrSelf-Destruct

No. Notch (the creator) said there's going to be some story & goal in the final version of Minecraft, dunno what though.

But you could play in MP servers and build a city with guys wen boredom comes. Or the Rapture from Bioshock..

Btw use this HD texture pack also [do me]

Here's how to install them [click me]

#5 Posted by Mcspanky37 (1693 posts) -

[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"]

Lucianu

No. Notch (the creator) said there's going to be some story & goal in the final version of Minecraft, dunno what though.

But you could play in MP servers and build a city with guys wen boredom comes. Or the Rapture from Bioshock..

First awesome texture pack I've seen :)
#6 Posted by cyborg100000 (2905 posts) -

Lucianu

Nice.

#7 Posted by MrSelf-Destruct (13400 posts) -
[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

Ahh! Awesome, dude, thanks!
#8 Posted by metroidfood (11175 posts) -

Also, if you're getting killed at night build a sword with 2 stone/iron above a stick to fight the monsters.

Though you'll want to keep your base well lit with torches to prevent them from spawning in your home.

#9 Posted by firefluff3 (2073 posts) -

Some useful stuff:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewforum.php?f=1021, theres threads on how to use them ect.

Go on the minecraft wiki for crafting recipes

when you get bored, GO TO MULTIPLAYER, its SO much more fun online, you wont want to go back to singleplayer so i suggest playing singleplayer first though.

#10 Posted by deadxsouls (117 posts) -

Lucianu

I can't find the link for the texture pack. Could someone sent it to me?

#11 Posted by AngelBeeps (55 posts) -
Well... Remember when you were a kid and how fun it was to build things with Lego? Similar principle, it's a way to play virtual Lego either by yourself or online with other people.
#12 Posted by Kaisos (375 posts) -

Minecraft is a sandbox game if you don't like the genre don't play the game. Just like if you don't enjoy FPS you wouldn't play call of duty.

#13 Posted by James161324 (8315 posts) -

There is no point to the game, do whatever you want. Right now its really just lets play with building blocks

#14 Posted by Sparticus247 (2368 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

deadxsouls

I can't find the link for the texture pack. Could someone sent it to me?

That Texture packs has been dropped for a long time. The creator doesn't support it anymore and it won't work with the current versions. I keep seeing people point to his youtube stuff but he again doesn't support it.

This is the closest thing i've found to it. Misas HD 64x64

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1021&t=73861

Also I'm working on one myself, I've progressed further since my first version but I'm holding off another release until I get along further.

MarioCraft

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27558929

#15 Posted by THA-TODD-BEAST (4569 posts) -

Does anyone else see the immense irony in a "texture pack" for a game that consists of only textured blocks? Seriously.

#16 Posted by Planeforger (17440 posts) -
If you don't like being killed, try building a fort/castle/walled-off area and keep it all well-lit. Enemies only spawn in darkness. Also, try making swords or bows to fight them off with. There are other cooler ways to kill them (like lava traps), but you'll work those out as you go along.
#17 Posted by Sparticus247 (2368 posts) -

Does anyone else see the immense irony in a "texture pack" for a game that consists of only textured blocks? Seriously.

THA-TODD-BEAST
Umm...not really. A texture pack can change the look and charm of the game. Not sure Where the irony is, especially when there is a built in texture swapper in the game launcher and is encouraged by the developers to make them. EX: RezCraft Tron Texture pack. http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/6250/045ua.pnghttp://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad252/MAemilius/Minecraft/Exterior_Entrance.jpg ex: MarioCraft http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k192/loganjhall04/MarioCraft1.pnghttp://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k192/loganjhall04/MarioCraft7.png
#18 Posted by starwarsjunky (24765 posts) -
that TRON one looks amazing :shock:
#19 Posted by MrSelf-Destruct (13400 posts) -

Minecraft is a sandbox game if you don't like the genre don't play the game. Just like if you don't enjoy FPS you wouldn't play call of duty.

Kaisos
Did you not read my first post? I'm enjoying the game just fine. :roll:
#20 Posted by MrSelf-Destruct (13400 posts) -
Thanks, guys, I appreciate all your input. I didn't know about any of this stuff! I think I got it now, though. I got a Minecraft mentor who's gonna help a dummy out. :P
#21 Posted by THA-TODD-BEAST (4569 posts) -

[QUOTE="THA-TODD-BEAST"]

Sparticus247

Umm...not really. A texture pack can change the look and charm of the game. Not sure Where the irony is, especially when there is a built in texture swapper in the game launcher and is encouraged by the developers to make them.

I guess you just don't "get" it. The irony I see is that folks are working their butts off creating these high-resolution, realistic "texture" packs for a game that consists of a bunch of square blocks stacked on top of one another. The game's focus isn't even on the graphics. It just seems senseless to me, is all. Is it cool? Certainly. But is it also nearly pointless? I sure think so. Entirely new themes, I can understand. That Tron pack looks awesome and would make you feel as if you were in a totally new environment. But higher resolution textures? The graphics are fine the way they are, and no matter how high-res the textures are, the game is still going to look incredibly fake. *Shrugs* Who knows, maybe I'm just too realistic when analyzing these things.