Minecraft At University. Does it work?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

C0SMIC_DUCK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 C0SMIC_DUCK
Member since 2009 • 144 Posts

Hay,

So i was wondering guys anyone here that knows a fair bit about minecraft, servers firewalls etc could you possibly give me some advice.

Basically i can't connect to the yogscast server or my friends server both have worked for me at home but now im at University they do not. Does anyone have any any light they could shed on the matter, Ho do i connect to there servers or any information on getting through the university firewalls (only guessing thats what is the problem)? Do i need to forward ports to get it to connect even if im not the host? and if so any tips on exactly what to do would be great.

To Long Didn't Read.....

Is my University stopping me from playing minecraft online? how do i pass this ?

Thanks

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#2 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

I'd contact the IT support at the university about how to do it.  It's not like playing video games is illegal or anything, and I doubt you would have much luck bypassing a firewall or forwarding ports yourself.  Especially if you have a login system like Clean Access Agent or whatnot.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

I love Minecraft, I beat it a couple times. I'm pretty sure a blue means you are near a mine, and the red means you are 1 square away from the mine. The trick is to clear the free space and work your way closer and closer.

Emraldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Emraldo
Member since 2004 • 1959 Posts

1) Yes, your university is stopping your access.

2) No, you can't do anything about it.

Many universities specifically block popular games on their wireless networks (Minecraft, League of Legends, etc.)

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Try connecting using secure networking, normally traffic can be tunnelled through a firewall quite easily assuming the server supports it.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

I love Minecraft, I beat it a couple times. I'm pretty sure a blue means you are near a mine, and the red means you are 1 square away from the mine. The trick is to clear the free space and work your way closer and closer.

TheHighWind
You're thinking of minesweeper.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Talk to the people responsible for IT. Universities often block certain traffic for a reason, Steam is blocked at mine and I've been going through the steps to get access when signed into the network.
achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]Talk to the people responsible for IT. Universities often block certain traffic for a reason, Steam is blocked at mine and I've been going through the steps to get access when signed into the network.

Same here. I don't get why, we're paying tuition that goes towards these services and if we have some spare time in between studying we should be able to use it.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

[QUOTE="skrat_01"]Talk to the people responsible for IT. Universities often block certain traffic for a reason, Steam is blocked at mine and I've been going through the steps to get access when signed into the network.achilles614
Same here. I don't get why, we're paying tuition that goes towards these services and if we have some spare time in between studying we should be able to use it.

Probably has to do with network bandwith pulling down the institution's speeds - that'd be the reasoning at least. It's a bit ridiculous honestly, especially considering that fellow researchers of mine need to use software like Steam too. If I wasn't in the position that I was, I'd probably get denied - hell my supervisors, as employed and part of the Uni as they may be, have had to go through the same process.

Gah.

Barujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Barujin
Member since 2009 • 308 Posts

[QUOTE="skrat_01"]Talk to the people responsible for IT. Universities often block certain traffic for a reason, Steam is blocked at mine and I've been going through the steps to get access when signed into the network.achilles614

Greed.

Wheeelp, movin' on. :)

timma25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 timma25
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts

Back when I was in school I used some software that I could turn on or off that would block or encrypt my information, let me play anything, torrent, etc. I think it was something along the lines of "safeguard" or something but can't find it atm.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#12 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Shouldn't you be studying instead of playing Minecraft?

timma25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 timma25
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts

[QUOTE="achilles614"][QUOTE="skrat_01"]Talk to the people responsible for IT. Universities often block certain traffic for a reason, Steam is blocked at mine and I've been going through the steps to get access when signed into the network.skrat_01

Probably has to do with network bandwith pulling down the institution's speeds - that'd be the reasoning at least. It's a bit ridiculous honestly, especially considering that fellow researchers of mine need to use software like Steam too. If I wasn't in the position that I was, I'd probably get denied - hell my supervisors, as employed and part of the Uni as they may be, have had to go through the same process.

Gah.

This is why. Originally my school didn't block anything and torrenting would bring the network to a crawl... despite it being a low population school
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Starshine_M2A2
playing a good game*
Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#15 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts
[QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"]

JigglyWiggly_
playing a good game*

Yeah, I suppose if you're going to slack off, there's no reason to lose your self respect in the process....