Microsoft to buy AMD

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

This is interesting , they could offered the R&D , but knowing Microsoft they could destroy it too .

Source : http://www.kitguru.net/components/anton-shilov/microsoft-is-interested-to-buy-advanced-micro-devices-source/

What do you think ?

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17812 Posts

i can see why they would do it. they would have all the expertise needed in house to design and build their next consoles.

i dont see MS trying to take on chipzilla though.

i think it would be a bad move though for the PC. the last thing we need is AMD removed as an option. if they are to be bought out i would prefer to see them bought out by another hardware company...a company that would be interested in lighting a fire under intels backside. Nvidias too.

im not against a buyout for AMD...it could lead to better things in time depending on who buys them.

but, from a PC perspective, i think MS are the wrong company.

we need at least 2 companies trying to knock the crap out of each other and, ideally, i would prefer to see a 3rd horse in both the CPU and GPU race.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

I could very well see Microsoft completing a buyout of AMD and leaving them as is, using them to develop and build future chips for Windows devices, as well as maintaining and advancing the current hardware development. Cutting costs and leading to higher revenues and more Windows built devices. All-in-all it would actually be a decently smart purchase for Microsoft. Instead of being reliant on Intel to power their devices Microsoft could more easily create and mass produce their own chips and cards for their devices. AMD has been on the decline and could really use a large partner boost.

digitm64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 5

#4 digitm64
Member since 2013 • 470 Posts

Then they could charge Sony a fortune for the chips on the Playstation. It would be a good move.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

From SW:

@DerekLoffin said:

This is not very likely to happen for no other reason that MS would almost instantly find itself in a deep legal mess with intel and nvidia both as neither is going to stand by and let MS be a primary producer to major hardware components that they actively compete with.

I think that's a fair point.

GoodKingMog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GoodKingMog
Member since 2015 • 167 Posts

@MlauTheDaft said:

From SW:

@DerekLoffin said:

This is not very likely to happen for no other reason that MS would almost instantly find itself in a deep legal mess with intel and nvidia both as neither is going to stand by and let MS be a primary producer to major hardware components that they actively compete with.

? all it takes is one court decision that it isnt a monopoly and there is nothing intel and nvidia could do about it...

the company i work for just went through a similar battle, and it took about a year to resolve. it wouldnt exactly be that laborious of a process...

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

If you ask me AMD could really use this, they've been going downhill...

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I think this could be a great thing. As much as people like to rag on MS, AMD is clearly struggling while being the primary competitor on two fronts against Nvidia and Intel. Those two are basically the MS of their respective hardware segments in terms of clout, and in the interest of maintaining healthy competition in the hardware sector I would like to see AMD get a huge influx of R&D $ and software support.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@osan0:

i would love this to happen. Nvidia are pieces of shits with their monopolistic practises. If ms were to purchase AMD though, that would end right away..game developers don't have the balls to favorite nvidia over MS. MS could take over AMD cpu business and take a piece of intels massive pie as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

Anyone but Moneysoft

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
@klunt_bumskrint said:

Anyone but Moneysoft

Why not Microsoft? Who would be better?

Microsoft is perfect because they have the following, the money, and the skills to get AMD back to competing with Intel and Nvidia. Intel and Nvidia would really have to step their game up and that would be nothing but good for competition.

I doubt it is going to happen, but I think it would be a positive thing for the PC Gaming community. Hell, with AMD maybe MS will finally decide to start caring about PC Gaming again (yeah right).

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17812 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1: and in turn MS could turn AMD to be far more nasty. what about linux support? whats to drive them to advance the hardware beyond what their next console needs? whats to stop them from going on a patent troll run? stop sony from using AMD for its next console? If MS were to buy them i could quickly see vendor lockin become a big thing for AMD....thats a really really bad thing for the PC.

i mean i agree with you about some of nvidias and intels practices and they should be getting smacked around more for it but MS are far from being sweethearts.

im not sure who i would like to see buy out AMD but companies i definately dont want to see buying them out are MS, Sony, Nintendo (not on the cards), apple (also probably not on the cards), Nvidia or Intel.

could they be brought in under the ARM wing as a fabless company perhaps (i think they already are fabless..they sold them a few years back)? im not sure how sub licensing x86 processors would go though (seriously...the X86 license needs to be taken off intel at this stage and put in a NFP oversight company....this is just getting silly with the X86 licenses) but it could make for a more competative market.

samsung would give AMD access to some pretty sohpisticated fab plants which would solve a lot of problems on the heat and power draw side and give them more room to build a more advanced architecture...but samsung are also a pretty nasty piece of work at times so that would be a double edged sword.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

Microsoft, I don't know, I am not optimistic, splitting up amd deal is for wall street so they can bid up shares, sell high, break up the company, lay off workers, sell the patents an pocket the proceeds.

AMD is being destroyed by poor corporate management, the engineers have always done an outstanding job on the hardware side, keeping pace with the giants, corporate should have or must invest more in the software engineering side, improving their drivers for the gpu's, expanding mantle as a suite, to include tress fx etc, developing their own tech to rival nvidia's phys x, this would require continuous on site engineers working with all the different os, engine and game devs from start constantly improving so that can compete more effectively with intel and nividia. They missed an opportunity to greater support Linux, steam os and steam machines. All this requires capital in to be invested in tech not share dividends.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

i think it would be good for pc gaming. If MS bought AMD and started making high end graphics cards, theyd have an interest in seeing the pc market succeed. This may lead to halo for pc...

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

the question is what will nvida do if this is true ? and happen ? this could be big hit for nvida and intel :D

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@Toxic-Seahorse said:
@klunt_bumskrint said:

Anyone but Moneysoft

Microsoft is perfect because they have the following, the money, and the skills to get AMD back to competing with Intel and Nvidia. Intel and Nvidia would really have to step their game up and that would be nothing but good for competition.

I doubt it is going to happen, but I think it would be a positive thing for the PC Gaming community. Hell, with AMD maybe MS will finally decide to start caring about PC Gaming again (yeah right).

Samsung would be much better.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_ said:
@Toxic-Seahorse said:
@klunt_bumskrint said:

Anyone but Moneysoft

Samsung would be much better.

I bet nvidia would be happy about this too since I don't doubt that Samsung would invest much more into moblie gpu's and cpu's to help their own products instead of taking on nvidia in the desktop graphics area.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

Good for AMD, I think...

Won't Sony turn to other manufacturers for chips then? Wouldn't they then just be passing the optimization and "TWIMTBP" problems to consoles?

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

I can see this going two ways. Either AMD as a GPU and CPU manufacturer becomes more of e Microsoft only company selling less consumer products and more making products within the windows product lines. Or Microsoft lights a fire under their ass and actually starts to make AMD competitive with Nvidia and intel. Interested to see if this pansout or not. I'm not against it by any means just not sure how it would turn out for the average gaming consumer.

fatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By fatee
Member since 2004 • 371 Posts

Although in the past Microsoft has had a hardware division and could feasibly benefit to have one yet again; it will not, however, be a reality at this moment.

One popular rumor is that at $100 per AMD chip for the Xbox, Microsoft could absorb the company and eliminate the cost.
In reality, this is not so simple. $100 is not pure profit for AMD - It would be closer to $30 profit and $70 material/research cost.
Tooling alone is untold millions, which is why companies such as TSMC exist.

So you can see, Microsoft would end up absorbing cost, no profit - even with Sony and Nintendo using AMD chips.

Another, more grounded rumor is that Samsung has been (for some time now) looking to purchase AMD and absorb it's assets.
This would greatly benefit both companies as Samsung is the only other company that can rival Intel's 16nm process, soon to be 14, soon to be 12.

Samsung would gain engineers worth decades of experience each, and AMD would gain an actual viable R&D budget and all the wonderful marketing AMD truly needs.

All-in-all: nobody publically knows. I strongly feel It would not be Microsoft, but It certainly help AMD if it were true.A point to make: ATI was worth 3x more then AMD is now before it was purchase in 2006. Not all assets may be left in place if AMD is to be bought.

Look at Nokia.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

I don't usually buy AMD but it seems a bad thing for PC builders... Knowing Microsoft AMD probably won't be the affordable option anymore and that's bad for everyone.

Arkzyw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Arkzyw
Member since 2015 • 8 Posts

Many sources write about this, but there is nothing definite there, so hopefully it's just a rumor. From pure Linux user perspective it is like a bad dream. Not long ago AMD released their driver code, and even hired open-source programmers to help community with open drivers. Microsoft will surely reverse the process...just when peoples hopes were starting to rise...

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Something I found interesting about another company buying AMD, is that they could realistically lose the licensing for x86 architecture. How that would affect PS4/Xbox One is unknown but it would be likely that they would still be allowed to produce existing products but there is a chance that they could lose the rights to produce anything based on x86.

The exact terms of the 2009 settlement remain a secret. But it’s generally known that the new agreement relaxed some of the restrictions on AMD. Chimpzilla eventually agreed to cede its stake in GlobalFoundries, and it began using TSMC to manufacture x86 CPUs like Brazos and Kabini. Prior to the settlement, it had no such option. The one restriction that supposedly didn’t change, however, was that AMD is required to remain an independent entity. To the best of my knowledge, if Samsung acquires AMD, AMD’s x86 license is null and void. It’s not clear what would happen to the company’s already-manufactured inventory, or its PS4 and Xbox One designs — though presumably deals would be worked out to ensure that existing hardware could be sold and the rights of Microsoft and Sony to the hardware they paid for would presumably be respected.

Source - this an article from earlier this year about Samsung possibly buying AMD

MS buying AMD could also wreak Linux variants/OpenGL (SteamOS) as an upcoming rival for Windows/DX12 as a gaming operating system.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@MuD3 said:

I don't usually buy AMD but it seems a bad thing for PC builders... Knowing Microsoft AMD probably won't be the affordable option anymore and that's bad for everyone.

Wait what? What are you basing this off of?

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#26 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

@goodkingmog said:
@MlauTheDaft said:

From SW:

@DerekLoffin said:

? all it takes is one court decision that it isnt a monopoly and there is nothing intel and nvidia could do about it...

the company i work for just went through a similar battle, and it took about a year to resolve. it wouldnt exactly be that laborious of a process...

and that one decision could cost a ton of money and time

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

my thoughts? i'm glad we still have NVIDIA. MS can do what ever the hell they want with AMD imo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@MuD3 said:

how the hell you think they can move units, if not with a good price-performance ratio? you honestly think that their plan is to start selling overpriced crap? lol. it would die in less than a year.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@groowagon said:

my thoughts? i'm glad we still have NVIDIA. MS can do what ever the hell they want with AMD imo.

You won't be glad when Nivida and Intel jack up their prices if Microsoft removes AMD from direct competition.

Metallic_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Metallic_Blade
Member since 2005 • 565 Posts

My reaction to this rumor: HELL TO THE **** NO!