Microsoft promises to support modding, overlays, G-Sync and Freesync in Universal Windows Apps

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17917 Posts

This is promising...

http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-promises-to-support-modding-overlays-g-sync-and-freesync-in-universal-windows-apps/

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@BassMan said:

This is promising...

http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-promises-to-support-modding-overlays-g-sync-and-freesync-in-universal-windows-apps/

I told everyone they were over-reacting when UWP didn't support things at the start. Microsoft had even come out and said that they were going to work on more features for the future, and now they have confirmed it.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BassMan

I haven't been too worried either. I have been more disappointed that these limitations were there in the first place.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FelipeInside

@BassMan said:

I haven't been too worried either. I have been more disappointed that these limitations were there in the first place.

I agree. They should have launched with things like Full Screen and V-Sync support, but I guess it comes down to deadlines etc.

People seem to forget though, Steam didn't launch with lots of things at the start and it got a LOT of slack/hate because of it.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

they are reversing course after they were called out, just like the launch of the xbox. they only included certain features after the ps 4 launch showed them up. never the less this is win for pc gamers. good move on their part.

as the article stated there are still a lot of questions to be answered, i would include these can pc gamers modify config/sys/ini files without them being overwritten every time the game is launched? instead of being converted why can't the games run as regular side load win 32 apps?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70460 Posts

MS is trying to destroy PC gaming and all software will be in UWP and they would block all traditional software. Well thats what people believed and possibly still believe.

"instead of being converted why can't the games run as regular side load win 32 apps?"

They can but if you want to use UWP you need to convert. Its that simple.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
@FelipeInside said:

I told everyone they were over-reacting when UWP didn't support things at the start. Microsoft had even come out and said that they were going to work on more features for the future, and now they have confirmed it.

For all we know these things were implemented only because of people's reactions (and is probably the safe assumption)

If everyone shared your blind faith in Microsoft, we might very well be up poop creek without a paddle right now.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts
@FelipeInside said:

People seem to forget though, Steam didn't launch with lots of things at the start and it got a LOT of slack/hate because of it.

I completely agree here.

While I have a 7 years old account, I started using/buying things just a couple years ago...

@KHAndAnime said:

For all we know these things were implemented only because of people's reactions (and is probably the safe assumption)

If everyone shared your blind faith in Microsoft, we might very well be up poop creek without a paddle right now.

And I probably agree here too.

A company wouldn't spend money (not even $1) in RnD to add all these things it missed the 1st time, if none would care...

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FelipeInside

@KHAndAnime said:
@FelipeInside said:

Maybe, maybe not. When they released Rise of the Tomb Raider they said they were working on additional features to the UWP platform for gaming, and now they have confirmed what features they are.

Not blind faith at all, I just see the FACTS on how they appear. Do you use Steam? Why? Heaps of features were missing when Steam launched.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BassMan

Steam launched a long time ago and it was one of the pioneering DRM/PC gaming platforms. There are certain standards for PC gaming and features that are to be expected. MS had plenty of time over the years to get it right. They seem out of touch with the PC gaming community or don't really give a shit until people complain. That is what I don't like. They should be on top of this stuff. I am glad things are heading in the right direction now.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@BassMan said:

Steam launched a long time ago and it was one of the pioneering DRM/PC gaming platforms. There are certain standards for PC gaming and features that are to be expected. MS had plenty of time over the years to get it right. They seem out of touch with the PC gaming community or don't really give a shit until people complain. That is what I don't like. They should be on top of this stuff. I am glad things are heading in the right direction now.

MS does seem to like their closed systems and I can understand that from a gamer that likes to be protected from cheaters.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BassMan

@xhawk27: I hear u there. I hate cheaters too. I think it should be up to each developer whether they want to participate in a more closed anti cheat environment or if they want to make their games open for modding.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

@Pedro said:

MS is trying to destroy PC gaming and all software will be in UWP and they would block all traditional software. Well thats what people believed and possibly still believe.

"instead of being converted why can't the games run as regular side load win 32 apps?"

They can but if you want to use UWP you need to convert. Its that simple.

i don't believe that ms is trying to destroy pc gaming, i just know for a proven fact that ms track record when it comes pc gaming is terrible.

as for uwp, windows 10 is not a separate entity and uwp its own other entity, windows 10 is the uwp. it runs on all their device families, with windows 10 you dont target an operating system with an app, the idea is for you to be able to target all devices, xbox, phone, desktop etc to make all that work ms is going to be directing a majority of resources to make sure that the libraries, sdks and tools are geared to supporting this, not win 32 api side load apps that target an os.

i am arguing that pc games should retain the side load feature, so for example the community can make mods for games without dev or even ms approval, and without gamers who want to try these mods being prevented from doing so.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

great...May cant get here soon enough.

AssassinFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 AssassinFury
Member since 2008 • 49 Posts

I tend to stray from competitive online gaming on PC because of the over presence of cheaters

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58529 Posts

Sorry, I can't get past the diarrhea spewing out from MS's mouth

I don't hate MS, mind you, I just don't believe a word they say, especially when it comes to PC gaming.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

@AssassinFury: the most competitive online pc games have no cheaters: lol, dota2, starcraft2, etc