microsoft games studios talks pc gaming.. a good tease?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

ms games studio's today talked about their push away from console gaming this year. fable III, AoE:O, and MS flight is jsut the tip of their IP iceberg for 2010/2011 also they admit that GFWL isnt much of a hit and firmly believe in trail an error..

not to sound optimistic but could they be burning GFWL in favor of jsut making games :P

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/41030/Microsoft-wants-to-lead-PC-revolution

The_PC_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 The_PC_Gamer
Member since 2003 • 2910 Posts

microsoft always "try" to take the lead in PC gaming, but it always fails.

Fable 3 had no reason to be delayed on PC, the new FLight game is going to be a dissapointing arcadey title, and same with AoE Online - looks like one of those usual flash-based RTS games that are flooding the market. (Evony anyone?)

soliderPp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 soliderPp
Member since 2004 • 1991 Posts

If they want to lead the PC "revolution" they've got A LOT of catching up to do with Crytek and Valve.

I'd imagine that Fable III, Age of Empires: Online, and a new flight SIM will do very little to stimulate

the PC market and do even less to promote innovation and ground breaking new technologies.

Though I hope they succeed, adding competition to the market should only make things better.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Pity they are barley mere peons.
SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

"All of these games make use of Microsoft's Games for Windows – Live service which is the PC equivalent of Xbox Live." - sounds like they're using these games to push forward GFWL, not get rid of it. Which isn't surprising of course.

yemen_headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 yemen_headshot
Member since 2010 • 514 Posts
they should Release Halo Reach for PC soon, not after 3 or 4 years and allow us to play with 360 owners, otherwise they'll fail !
Farkeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Farkeman
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts

the truth is that Miscrosoft cant compete to other PC developers with theyr console "skills"

CutOutSock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CutOutSock
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Regardless of what they do or try to do, they've done the most damage to PC gaming more than anyone.

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#9 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

All I'm looking forward to from them is Fable 3 and nothing else.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

the new FLight game is going to be a dissapointing arcadey title,

The_PC_Gamer

We don't know that yet. IL-2 Shturmovik could be set to easy (read: arcade mode). Yet many hardcore flight simmers loved it.

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

Regardless of what they do or try to do, they've done the most damage to PC gaming more than anyone.

CutOutSock

^^This.

Their membership of the PC gaming alliance is a joke. Windows is the leading game OS platform on the PC, yet Microsoft decided to close down its PC dev studios, and all we've heard for years is Xbox this and Xbox that, particularly at any E3 since 2004. They should be the ones pushing the PC harder than anyone as a gaming platform, but its like they simply turned their back on it. Trying to resurrect AoE as an online only game, and the Flight series, doesn't go anywhere near far enough.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
I don't believe it until I see it. That's how I proceed with Microsoft.
Avatar image for charmingcharlie
charmingcharlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 charmingcharlie
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts

It's MS don't believe a word of it, I remember a few years ago they actually "apologised" for neglecting the PC platform and promised that they would concentrate on PC gaming. Naturally after the statement they went straight back to neglecting the PC platform. Microsoft see's the PC as a competitor to it's Xbox and as such it treats the PC as a competitor.

Just found the original apology it was dated 11th February 2006 :-

I want to apologize for the dereliction of duty to our company's number-one platform, the PC, in terms of gaming, We've been a little distracted for the past few years,"Peter Moore

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6144116.html

It was **** 4 years ago and I can tell you know this rubbish MS is touting now is ****.

Roris0A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Roris0A
Member since 2007 • 627 Posts

I think it's good - it's better than nothing. I speculate that after a decade of pouring hundreds of millions into the xbox, where profit is always in question, they may have awoken to the fact they already have the most profitable free and open gaming platform, where money exchanges hands with no middle man, their windows pc platform. I don't think they will abandon their console division of course, but I think (hope) that they will see the pc as a good counterpart to it.

Nexustras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nexustras
Member since 2005 • 568 Posts

they have the OS down atleast.. most of the time lol.

i like this competition :) developer/publisher competition = gamers win.

i'm not sure if they have a chance against the likes of blizzard and valve though.

i've only played fable 2 and i thought that game was a decent 7/10.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#16 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
they should Release Halo Reach for PC soon, not after 3 or 4 years and allow us to play with 360 owners, otherwise they'll fail !yemen_headshot
Remember shadowrun? You probably didn't. but yea... how that game fared is but a shining example why they won't allow 360/PC interplay.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
MS cares about pc games and not exclusively for their precious X360s? This is news to me. MS if you learned anything about pc gaming, please TRY to make a pc game and not a god-late port of a console game.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
[QUOTE="yemen_headshot"]they should Release Halo Reach for PC soon, not after 3 or 4 years and allow us to play with 360 owners, otherwise they'll fail !codezer0
Remember shadowrun? You probably didn't. but yea... how that game fared is but a shining example why they won't allow 360/PC interplay.

That game was so overlooked it is not even funny. Great game that just got overlooked.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
[QUOTE="yemen_headshot"]they should Release Halo Reach for PC soon, not after 3 or 4 years and allow us to play with 360 owners, otherwise they'll fail !codezer0

I always thought Shadowrun failed just because it was a bad game...? :?
pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Im not really interested in Fable 3 or Flight and from what I have seen so far, the new AOE game does nothing to get my interest either. Now if they announced a new PC EXCLUSIVE Freelancer game that is not an MMO I might be interested.

Microsoft turned their back on PC a long time ago and have lost a lot of respect from fans of their games on PC, I recon they have a lot of work to do. What has made them want to get back into PC I wonder?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 060390
Member since 2006 • 383 Posts
I'm still waiting for ALAN WAKE you ms basterds!!!!!!! And also Halo 3 and Reach !!!!
Avatar image for deactivated-5fae21e61a964
deactivated-5fae21e61a964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5fae21e61a964
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts

I'm still waiting for ALAN WAKE you ms basterds!!!!!!! And also Halo 3 and Reach !!!!060390

Microsoft sharing its fruit with its roots and lifeblood? Impossibru.

ucme4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ucme4k
Member since 2010 • 100 Posts
they should Release Halo Reach for PC soon, not after 3 or 4 years and allow us to play with 360 owners, otherwise they'll fail !yemen_headshot
LOL they would never do that i think there was once a article that said that medium skilled PC gamers with keyboard/mouse pwn consoler gamers with controllers for FPS.
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#24 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
[QUOTE="yemen_headshot"]they should Release Halo Reach for PC soon, not after 3 or 4 years and allow us to play with 360 owners, otherwise they'll fail !ucme4k
LOL they would never do that i think there was once a article that said that medium skilled PC gamers with keyboard/mouse pwn consoler gamers with controllers for FPS.

this will in turn create an issue where 360 owners would feel threatened by losing their power-trip fantasies... thus maybe affecting Xbox hardware sales. Ehh whatevz MS, I'd like them to at least make the effort. I don't want then spearheading it as they are quite capable with running it into the ground.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
I'm still waiting for ALAN WAKE you ms basterds!!!!!!! And also Halo 3 and Reach !!!!060390
No way, it wil be pirated like hell. :P For those who didnt get it, thats what MS will claim despite the fact the console version sold badly.
Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts
[QUOTE="060390"]I'm still waiting for ALAN WAKE you ms basterds!!!!!!! And also Halo 3 and Reach !!!!dakan45
No way, it wil be pirated like hell. :P For those who didnt get it, thats what MS will claim despite the fact the console version sold badly.

AW probably could have sold 700k as a PC exclusive... too bad Remedy went to the devil to get their game published...
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

I hope they do, MS make decent first party games.

STOCKMAN22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 STOCKMAN22
Member since 2010 • 415 Posts

[QUOTE="060390"]I'm still waiting for ALAN WAKE you ms basterds!!!!!!! And also Halo 3 and Reach !!!!dakan45

i can see why they dont want to release Halo as it is the most sussesful 360 exculsive fps ... but ALAN WAKE?? The game has failed on 360 so i dont see any reason not releasing it on pc.... It is Remedy fault .... Why they choose MS as their publisher?? why they didnt go to THQ, EA, UBISOFT, ACTIVISION or another pc supporter??

1q3er5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 1q3er5
Member since 2003 • 759 Posts

CutOutSock
This
Avatar image for mouthforbathory
mouthforbathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 mouthforbathory
Member since 2006 • 2114 Posts

MS has only two real hands in PC gaming right now: the Windows OS and the line of DirectX APIs. If MS went back to really making PC games, they could have three hands. As for GFWL, it could have a place with PC gaming if done right. That means making it an integral part of Windows itself, but not making it mandatory for gamers. MS published games could automatically interface with Windows to receive automatic updates a la Steam if a person desires. We could set auto updates to work during the installation process. GFWL shouldn't be mandatory for online gaming with titles that are GFWL enabled either. It should purely be an option for those who see it as a useful program, with non GFWL users still being able to play GFWL users on servers. Steam users are not excluded from playing online games with non-Steam titles, so GFWL should work in a similar manner. MS could sell DLC via the client, for less than a boxed retail product in order to encourage it's usage.

As for cross-platform play. In most cases, it's going to be difficult to balance things out. To properly implement it, options specifying a specific platform for servers would be necessary. Xbox only servers, PC only servers, and of course cross platform servers. There should be no handicaps for anyone on cross platform servers as it purposely derails the experience for some players as compared to their experience on a specific system only server. It's naturally going to happen. And why only shooters? Why not racing games? I'd love to have Forza on the PC. To make cross-platform possible, someone is going to have to possibly suffer. It's just natural that it'll be that way. Besides, it could drive MS branded peripheral sales, seeing console games flee to buy products that might give them an equal footing with PC gamers using mice and keyboards.

1q3er5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 1q3er5
Member since 2003 • 759 Posts
interesting point. As of now FPS would not be fair as mouse/keyboard reigns supreme against controllers BUT I never reallly gave thought to racing games and it actually makes alot of sense as alot of peripherals are available to both platforms. I think your right that some genre's would definitely work with cross platform play.