Metro Last Light.....AWESOME!

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I mean, that intro cinematic is something else.  Worth my $49 dollars right there.  Being able to change the resolution to a playable state without it crashing would be nice, but hey, I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too.  Best launch ever seen.  Way to test your game before releasing it, devs.

4-Legged-Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 4-Legged-Shark
Member since 2010 • 1031 Posts
Yeah I'm having the exact same issue... Reminds me of the launch of Dead Island... Which was also published by Deep Silver.... Aslo, keep an eye on this steam community thread: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3121955 Looks like a lot of people are having this issue so the fix probably isn't too far off.
Avatar image for GamingVengeance
GamingVengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 GamingVengeance
Member since 2012 • 1874 Posts
You have amd or nvidia?
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MirkoS77
You have amd or nvidia?GamingVengeance
Nvidia.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Which resolution are you trying to play with? Sucks to hear man, but I'm glad you like the game so far. For some reason, it auto-detected everything for me, the game set it to 1200p, with everything on very high. Game runs pretty smooth.
RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

Does this game have the frame dropping DoF like in Metro 2033?

I disabled that in 2033 and got a huge boost to frame rate.

Besides the DoF in that game looked pretty bad when it was noticeable.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MirkoS77

Finally got it working after unplugging my TV from my card, but the game stutters so bad that it's not enjoyable playing it.  I'm using Nvidia's new beta drivers too.  I'm getting 60+ framerates  and have tried all combinations but it doesn't stop the stuttering, which can freeze the game for half a second every 5-10 seconds at least.  It seems to me it's just poorly optimized.  I think I'm going to try for a refund on this one.

undeadgoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 undeadgoon
Member since 2006 • 706 Posts

what.... i cant play it till the 16th..:(

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MirkoS77

*sigh*

Constant drops.  Found some advice on the web, but I don't know how to do this:

By changing r_api # n in %APPDATA%\Local\4AGames\Metro LL\(numbers)\user.cfg to 0, 1, or 2 you can switch between Direct X 9, 10, and 11 modes respectively.  DirectX 9 and 10 do not have access to the tesselation option, but there is a significant framerate increase from switching to DX 9, so if you are playing on lower end DX 10/11 hardware switching may give you a much needed framerate increase.  I noticed that DirectX 9 mode caused minor loading stutters throughout the game world, most noticeable in the underground metros.

I've tried in DX 10 and 11 and still have stutters with Physx off, but figure 9 is worth a shot. 

ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ShadowJax04
Member since 2006 • 3351 Posts

*sigh*

Constant drops.  Found some advice on the web, but I don't know how to do this:

By changing r_api # n in %APPDATA%\Local\4AGames\Metro LL\(numbers)\user.cfg to 0, 1, or 2 you can switch between Direct X 9, 10, and 11 modes respectively.  DirectX 9 and 10 do not have access to the tesselation option, but there is a significant framerate increase from switching to DX 9, so if you are playing on lower end DX 10/11 hardware switching may give you a much needed framerate increase.  I noticed that DirectX 9 mode caused minor loading stutters throughout the game world, most noticeable in the underground metros.

I've tried in DX 10 and 11 and still have stutters with Physx off, but figure 9 is worth a shot. 

MirkoS77
Press the windows button in the left hand corner on your screen, click your username. Click on appdata and follow the rest of the instructions and open the .cfg file with wordpad or notepad.
ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ShadowJax04
You may have to force your computer to show hidden folders if you cannot see appdata but trust me this is a very appealing thing for a pc gamer to do anyway.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
Nvidia is not going to be happy about this.
Avatar image for GamingVengeance
GamingVengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GamingVengeance
Member since 2012 • 1874 Posts
This is why I don't really buy games at launch anymore, tomb raider didnt work at all for me and I preordered it. I had to edit the registry to get it to launch for me and some other stupid bs. Funny how people that preorder or get some games early End up getting the short stick
ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ShadowJax04
[QUOTE="GamingVengeance"]This is why I don't really buy games at launch anymore, tomb raider didnt work at all for me and I preordered it. I had to edit the registry to get it to launch for me and some other stupid bs. Funny how people that preorder or get some games early End up getting the short stick

Now that's where installing and playing games start being a chore, especially when you have to uninstall a faulty program by manually removing values in the registry, that's really balls.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Elann2008
windows button, search bar, type in " %appdata%" and then go into the local file folder. You should be able to take it from there.
ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ShadowJax04
windows button, search bar, type in " %appdata%" and then go into the local file folder. You should be able to take it from there.Elann2008
His computer needs to allow hidden folders, then windows button > user > appdata.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]windows button, search bar, type in " %appdata%" and then go into the local file folder. You should be able to take it from there.ShadowJax04
His computer needs to allow hidden folders, then windows button > user > appdata.

That's what typing %appdata% does, it shows hidden folders.... If you type appdata without the "%" it won't show.

ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ShadowJax04

[QUOTE="ShadowJax04"][QUOTE="Elann2008"]windows button, search bar, type in " %appdata%" and then go into the local file folder. You should be able to take it from there.Elann2008

That's what typing %appdata% does, it shows hidden folders.... If you type appdata without the "%" it won't show.

The more you know. I think it's a good idea to permanently show these hidden folders which I do not know that this feature you mentioned does but I digress.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Elann2008
[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

[QUOTE="ShadowJax04"] His computer needs to allow hidden folders, then windows button > user > appdata.ShadowJax04

The more you know. I think it's a good idea to permanently show these hidden folders which I do not know that this feature you mentioned does but I digress.

:D No worries. We learn something new everyday. I hope to, anyways. :-)
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I've heard so many people complain of glitches, shadow problems, crashes and not being able to change resolution. Yet my game has worked flawlessly so far, it also runs incredibly well

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#22 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Same with me sean, no crashes, the FPS has been great and it looks amazing to.

55-65 fps, has yet to go below 55 for me. Have everythign cranked up except SSAA (which reminds me of ubersampling, and doent looks any better, jsut system hog).

The only people ive heard complaining so far are people who don't have a nvidia card.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-59b71619573a1

55-65 fps, has yet to go below 55 for me. Have everythign cranked up except SSAA (which reminds me of ubersampling, and doent looks any better, jsut system hog).

The only people ive heard complaining so far are people who don't have a nvidia card.

kozzy1234

SSAA is ubersampling basically. It renders the game at a higher res and then downsamples it to your chosen resolution. 

Honestly their auto AA that's always on does a fantastic job anyway and I have SSAA off and still can't see jaggies. Like at all. 

I am extremely happy with how the game runs, couldn't have asked for better really. 

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Elann2008

I've heard so many people complain of glitches, shadow problems, crashes and not being able to change resolution. Yet my game has worked flawlessly so far, it also runs incredibly well

seanmcloughlin

kozzy1234
I can confirm one crash, and shadow flickering ONCE. But then again, I've noticed this flickering (like Crysis 2), for the past two driver releases for GTX 670. Not to mention the artifact in BF3, that one time, and I haven't OC'ed my GPU. Nothing to worry about though. It's rare.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
Between the ridiculous frame rate drops and the constant shadow flickering this may be one of the most unoptimized launches I've been a part of. Maybe it my AMD card, but still, the game should not perform this poorly on any card. I really wish this game ran flawlessly, it's been really good so far.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Elann2008

Between the ridiculous frame rate drops and the constant shadow flickering this may be one of the most unoptimized launches I've been a part of. Maybe it my AMD card, but still, the game should not perform this poorly on any card. I really wish this game ran flawlessly, it's been really good so far.Toxic-Seahorse

I am sorry to hear man. It's definitely an AMD-issue. The issues I've mentioned like shadow flickering has been an ongoing thing for the past few driver releases, and not only in Metro LL. LL runs smooth on my GTX 670.

As a matter of fact, I was surprised how well it ran, with the graphics look much better than Metro 2033, with everything on very high like tessellation and advanced physX. Like Sean said, it has a default AAA/FXAA that cannot be disabled, so I don't even need SSAA. I don't see any jaggies at all.

4A Games and Nvidia need to do the good deed and "bust" a Square Enix/Crystal Dynamics on this one and optimize Metro LL for AMD users.  Crystal Dynamics, a long time AMD partner (10+years), did an excellent job for AMD, but produced the same optimization for Nvidia users as well.  

I noticed a small download of 9.6mb or so, this morning. Not sure what that did but it isn't anything worth noting.

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

Anyone try it with a 6970? Metro 2033 ran kinda bad on it. Games seem very unoptimized

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kozzy1234

Extremely happy with how well it is running on on nvidia card, expected the FPS to be alot lowe and more all ove the place, but its very good the first 5 hours for me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Between the ridiculous frame rate drops and the constant shadow flickering this may be one of the most unoptimized launches I've been a part of. Maybe it my AMD card, but still, the game should not perform this poorly on any card. I really wish this game ran flawlessly, it's been really good so far.Toxic-Seahorse

Yep, the AMD cards are having widespread issuea with the game. Which kind of sucks really. 

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Elann2008

Extremely happy with how well it is running on on nvidia card, expected the FPS to be alot lowe and more all ove the place, but its very good the first 5 hours for me.

kozzy1234
Aww yeah! :-D Can't wait to play some more tonight.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Toxic-Seahorse

FPS drops seem to get worse as the game goes on for me. I was in a spot when looking ahead I got 80 FPS and turning around it shot down to 9 FPS, despite me staring directly at a wall. The shadow flickering is still just as common. I really hope we get a patch or driver update to fix this.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]Between the ridiculous frame rate drops and the constant shadow flickering this may be one of the most unoptimized launches I've been a part of. Maybe it my AMD card, but still, the game should not perform this poorly on any card. I really wish this game ran flawlessly, it's been really good so far.seanmcloughlin

Yep, the AMD cards are having widespread issuea with the game. Which kind of sucks really. 

Has AMD released drivers that support the game?

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kozzy1234

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]Between the ridiculous frame rate drops and the constant shadow flickering this may be one of the most unoptimized launches I've been a part of. Maybe it my AMD card, but still, the game should not perform this poorly on any card. I really wish this game ran flawlessly, it's been really good so far.lostrib

Nope, nvidia released day one drivers for metro, none yet for amd, i hope they get some up soon for those that don't have a nvidia card.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#34 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

I'm shocked at how well this game is running for you guys, and I mean both Nvidia and AMD users.

Nvidia=Good

AMD=Bad(so far)

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Toxic-Seahorse

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]Between the ridiculous frame rate drops and the constant shadow flickering this may be one of the most unoptimized launches I've been a part of. Maybe it my AMD card, but still, the game should not perform this poorly on any card. I really wish this game ran flawlessly, it's been really good so far.lostrib

GPU companies shouldn't need to release drivers for every big game coming out. It's not like metro Last Light is featuring very new elements. I feel liek they spent so much time working with Nvidia that they just didn't care enough about the optimization for AMD cards.

Either that or it's a conspiracy by Nividia using 4A and Metro Last Light to make AMD cards look worse. :P

Just to be clear that was a joke.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

Toxic-Seahorse

GPU companies shouldn't need to release drivers for every big game coming out. It's not like metro Last Light is featuring very new elements. I feel liek they spent so much time working with Nvidia that they just didn't care enough about the optimization for AMD cards.

Either that or it's a conspiracy by Nividia using 4A and Metro Last Light to make AMD cards look worse. :P

Just to be clear that was a joke.

well, Nvidia released new beta drivers before launch of the game

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#37 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
AMD card here and terrible performance with either shadow flickering or stutters. I haven't even played for 5 minutes yet. Probably worst launch since Rage I guess.
ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ShadowJax04

Am surprised at how well my single GTX 670 can run High with 4x AF, ehnanced PhysX and medium tesselation + control planet anti-alias set at 4X. This game is a real treat, perhaps even moreso because I did not play the first game and this seems like an intruiging and polished experience.

Am currently at the Nazi rally and so far so good, not regretting this purchase at all. Can't say for sure if the gameplay will stick out in the long run but will find out in the days ahead.

*rename legal.ogv to legalold.ogv  or simply delete it in your folder to permanently remove the unskippable intro.

*double edit: the gunplay is very satisfying compared to bioshock: infinite, lining up headshots is more fun and guns have actual upgrades instead of +damage.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#39 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I didn't realize things were as bad as they are for AMD users, I heard somewhere that turning of Physx (maybe tesselation in game? I think there is a physics option in the "game options" menu) but it sounds even worse than that. 

I can sympathise having endured the RAGE launch with an ATI card. 

I have nothing against AMD but i'm glad I went with Nvidia with my latest purchase. 

I personally experienced pretty good performance, drops into the low 30's in a couple of sequences but usually in the 50-80fps range on very high with no SSAA and normal tesselation/motion blur at 1080p. 

Not the best performance ever (certainly not as good as Crysis 3) but totally acceptable given how good the game looks. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-59b71619573a1

I didn't realize things were as bad as they are for AMD users, I heard somewhere that turning of Physx (maybe tesselation in game? I think there is a physics option in the "game options" menu) but it sounds even worse than that. 

I can sympathise having endured the RAGE launch with an ATI card. 

I have nothing against AMD but i'm glad I went with Nvidia with my latest purchase. 

I personally experienced pretty good performance, drops into the low 30's in a couple of sequences but usually in the 50-80fps range on very high with no SSAA and normal tesselation/motion blur at 1080p. 

Not the best performance ever (certainly not as good as Crysis 3) but totally acceptable given how good the game looks. 

with_teeth26

Yeah Physx xan be disabled. Tesselation on it's highest tesselates the entire world, lowering it only tesselates what the developers purposefully tesselated themselves. On the highest absolutely everything gets bump mapping so lowering it might help a lot.

SSAA should be left off as it's basically rendering the image much higher than your res, then downsampling to your chosen res to eliminate jaggies. In other words it's the same as ubersampling from The Witcher 2. (more or less) AA is automatically on all the time anyway and should eliminate enough jaggies itself. 

I get crazy good performance in game. it may dip a few times but it never feels like ti actually dips. Crysis 3 used to chug quite a bit at times. 

Check my sig, you can see my fraps in game to see what my 670 and 3570k get maxed out (no SSAA)

What rig you got teeth? 

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#41 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Yeah Physx xan be disabled. Tesselation on it's highest tesselates the entire world, lowering it only tesselates what the developers purposefully tesselated themselves. On the highest absolutely everything gets bump mapping so lowering it might help a lot.

SSAA should be left off as it's basically rendering the image much higher than your res, then downsampling to your chosen res to eliminate jaggies. In other words it's the same as ubersampling from The Witcher 2. (more or less) AA is automatically on all the time anyway and should eliminate enough jaggies itself. 

I get crazy good performance in game. it may dip a few times but it never feels like ti actually dips. Crysis 3 used to chug quite a bit at times. 

Check my sig, you can see my fraps in game to see what my 670 and 3570k get maxed out (no SSAA)

What rig you got teeth? 

seanmcloughlin

same as you but a 2500k 

I got similar frames on that bit on the aformentioned settings, you might not be at the areas that gave me drops below 40 yet. It never became unplayable but there was one sequence where the slowdown was pretty noticeable. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

What rig you got teeth? 

with_teeth26

same as you but a 2500k 

I got similar frames on that bit on the aformentioned settings, you might not be at the areas that gave me drops below 40 yet. It never became unplayable but there was one sequence where the slowdown was pretty noticeable. 

Just went through some of the first proper stealth areas, the one with the water wheel really tanked things a bit

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I look forward to playing this game......in about a year.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MirkoS77

Am surprised at how well my single GTX 670 can run High with 4x AF, ehnanced PhysX and medium tesselation + control planet anti-alias set at 4X. 

ShadowJax04

I have a 670 as well, 4 gig.  3.4, 8 gig, Win 7.  Gets the stutters as my benchmark above shows.  

:evil: 

Aaarrrrrrrggggghhh!  Thanks for your help, I've tried it but no dice.  I hope the devs get on this ASAP, because I may just play it anyway with stuttering.  It's a cool game.  This sucks....

Alienware_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Alienware_fan
Member since 2010 • 1514 Posts

Anyone getting these? Totally unplayable in dx11 for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMTJp_p2NLQ

Alienware_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Alienware_fan
Member since 2010 • 1514 Posts

FPS drops seem to get worse as the game goes on for me. I was in a spot when looking ahead I got 80 FPS and turning around it shot down to 9 FPS, despite me staring directly at a wall. The shadow flickering is still just as common. I really hope we get a patch or driver update to fix this.

Toxic-Seahorse

I am also getting shadow flickering but switching to dx 9 fixed every problem. Almost constant 60 fps.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MirkoS77

Huh.  This is strange.  I played past the underground, got out into the open, and the stuttering disappeared.  Even going back underground, no longer there.  Wtf??  No complaints here, but I don't see how this could happen.  Maybe it just took time to fully load things into memory?  Weird.

takeiteazy3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 takeiteazy3
Member since 2008 • 743 Posts
Its awesome, been running great for me on my super-clocked 660. running very high, AF 16x, tesselation high. SSAA off. Usually 60~ fps. drops to 45~ during lots of action. Also glad i went with Nvidia haha
klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#49 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

Just completed the game and I personally like it better then Metro 2033. Lots of interesting mutant creature scenarios, much better creature animation, and beautiful sceneries. Almost everything is better the Metro 2033 and the graphics are amazing.

The game ran great on my Radeon 6950 1GB with FX6100 CPU; I got mostly 30-60 FPS through 95% of the game.The only point when the frame rate dropped below 20 was in the sections with really typhoon storm wind and rain. 

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Glad most games are amd sponsered now, seems like most of the nvidia sponsered games run like ass on amd cards/all cards.