Metro Exodus leaves steam for epic store

#1 Edited by urbangamez (3443 posts) -

metro ditches steam for epic store, this is as a result of the profit split being lower as a result the price of the game will be $10 cheaper. previous steam preorders will be honored however. metro joins the division 2 as the first AA titles to abandon steam as a primary launch store.

is this just a temporay steback for steam or an omen of bad things to come

#2 Posted by SBan83 (27 posts) -

It's just economics. If you were Epic, would you pay Steam a cut to sell your game? I wouldn't. It was just a matter of time before publishers woke up to it. EA was the first, now Bethesda, Ubisoft and Epic are too.

To me, it's just another icon in my taskbar...

#3 Edited by 04dcarraher (23132 posts) -

@urbangamez:

The main reason why they switched was the massive up front bribe to the publisher from EPIC. Thus forcing people into having no other option of getting the game except on a closed and inferior DD just to promote EPIC's platform. aka being anti competitive and anti consumer..... All 3rd party titles can be bought else where for Steam and valve dont get squat from those purchases , EPIC does not allow this.... Valve is not the issue nor is the 30/25/20% ratios taken based on sale amounts through Steam. EPIC launcher/store have major issues with terrible security, no regional pricing no offline ability, have additional transaction fee.... etc... etc. They are not providing competition by using exclusivity and shady practices.

#4 Edited by PredatorRules (12357 posts) -

@sban83: Don't forget Blizzard Activision started doing that too

I don't mind owning lots of publisher softwares to run my games as long as I get them cheap.

I've pre ordered GTA5 for 46$, yeah their launcher is a bit crappy but hey when ever did you pre ordered AAA title for such low price and a GTA title as well.

I've heard a lot of gamers Rage ;) about that decision not to use Steam anymore, I think they've made a mistake switching mid pre order time rather than doing it in the first place or their next game

#5 Posted by rmpumper (415 posts) -

@sban83: what are you even takling about? Epic is neither the dev nor publisher of Metro.

#6 Posted by JoPython52 (95 posts) -

If the game is any good, and in this case, I probably just get it for console instead of PC. I wait for reviews on this one. I would prefer it on pc, but I’m just not keen on the Epic store.

#7 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43047 posts) -

Yeah I've made my opinion known in Game Discussion and System Wars a lot, I'll just say this: it's bullshit.

@sban83 said:

It's just economics. If you were Epic, would you pay Steam a cut to sell your game? I wouldn't. It was just a matter of time before publishers woke up to it. EA was the first, now Bethesda, Ubisoft and Epic are too.

I don't think you get it:

1. Bethesda and Ubisoft (and EA) sell their own products, whether developed in-house or by a developer they contracted. The point is, they are selling something they brought to the table. I don't really like it, but whatever, I can understand it.

2. Epic did not develop or have a hand in the development of Metro: Exodus, or most of the other titles they sell.

3. Exclusives take away from the consumer. On Steam, I have a network of friends, mod support, discussions, game guides....not to mention it's where I keep about 85% of my games. I also use GoG and Origin. When you remove a game from an open platform and make it available at a single, sub-par storefront like Epic, you are in essence stealing from the consumer; you take away all that the former has to offer, and put nothing in it's place. Epic charges less from developers to sell on their store? Good for them. But what's in it for me? Nothing.

4. "Exclusivity" is, for lack of a better word, the antithesis to what PC gaming is. PC gaming is about choice, open developments, open sales....it's about saying "Wow, where do I want to buy this game from!? Steam, GoG, or maybe even just download it straight from the developer's website!" It's about saying "I don't support the ethics of this company, so I'm going to give my money to the other company".

5. Finally, it might be "economics" to you, but to me I think it is the dark side of capitalism. I love capitalism when it's done on a level playing field, but exclusivity is not on the level at all. In an ideal world, Epic would offer something that would entice people: better support, cheaper prices, a better community...SOMETHING. Instead what they done is offer a monopoly. "Buy from us. Oh, who are we kidding, you can ONLY buy from us HAHAHAH" is basically what they are saying.

Meanwhile, the superior places to buy it (Steam and GoG) don't get access to it.

And you know what? Not even the developer or publisher was really given a choice. Yeah they were not forced to choose Epic, but when they throw money at you in an effort to gain exclusivity, you're not going to turn it down.

In the end, it's not really fair to anyone except Epic.

#8 Posted by xantufrog (10574 posts) -

@mrbojangles25: I agree. The whole things just leaves a sour taste in my mouth

#9 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43047 posts) -

@xantufrog said:

@mrbojangles25: I agree. The whole things just leaves a sour taste in my mouth

Adding insult to injury, the game was available on Steam to begin with. That's just a messed up move, imo.

#10 Edited by SBan83 (27 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:

Yeah I've made my opinion known in Game Discussion and System Wars a lot, I'll just say this: it's bullshit.

@sban83 said:

1. Bethesda and Ubisoft (and EA) sell their own products, whether developed in-house or by a developer they contracted. The point is, they are selling something they brought to the table. I don't really like it, but whatever, I can understand it.

2. Epic did not develop or have a hand in the development of Metro: Exodus, or most of the other titles they sell.

3. Exclusives take away from the consumer. On Steam, I have a network of friends, mod support, discussions, game guides....not to mention it's where I keep about 85% of my games. I also use GoG and Origin. When you remove a game from an open platform and make it available at a single, sub-par storefront like Epic, you are in essence stealing from the consumer; you take away all that the former has to offer, and put nothing in it's place. Epic charges less from developers to sell on their store? Good for them. But what's in it for me? Nothing.

4. "Exclusivity" is, for lack of a better word, the antithesis to what PC gaming is. PC gaming is about choice, open developments, open sales....it's about saying "Wow, where do I want to buy this game from!? Steam, GoG, or maybe even just download it straight from the developer's website!" It's about saying "I don't support the ethics of this company, so I'm going to give my money to the other company".

5. Finally, it might be "economics" to you, but to me I think it is the dark side of capitalism. I love capitalism when it's done on a level playing field, but exclusivity is not on the level at all. In an ideal world, Epic would offer something that would entice people: better support, cheaper prices, a better community...SOMETHING. Instead what they done is offer a monopoly. "Buy from us. Oh, who are we kidding, you can ONLY buy from us HAHAHAH" is basically what they are saying.

Meanwhile, the superior places to buy it (Steam and GoG) don't get access to it.

And you know what? Not even the developer or publisher was really given a choice. Yeah they were not forced to choose Epic, but when they throw money at you in an effort to gain exclusivity, you're not going to turn it down.

I remember getting irked when I had to install Steam to play Half-Life 2 back in 2004. PC gaming is about choice, I felt, just like you're now saying about being forced to install Epic launcher to play Metro Exodus.

You talk about the dark side of capitalism, I think pharma bro was the dark side of capitalism. Had Epic sold Metro for a hiked-up price and made it unavailable on any other platform in the process, I'd understand the rage. But they're selling it at a lower price. Granted you don't get the same level of community atmosphere and what not that you are used to with Steam but give it time. Steam wasn't exactly a bustling community on day one, was it?

I too would love everything in one place. All my shows on one streaming app, all my games in one distribution platform, but hey, that's life.

#11 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43047 posts) -

@sban83 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

@sban83 said:

I remember getting irked when I had to install Steam to play Half-Life 2 back in 2004. PC gaming is about choice, I felt, just like you're now saying about being forced to install Epic launcher to play Metro Exodus.

You talk about the dark side of capitalism, I think pharma bro was the dark side of capitalism. Had Epic sold Metro for a hiked-up price and made it unavailable on any other platform in the process, I'd understand the rage. But they're selling it at a lower price. Granted you don't get the same level of community atmosphere and what not that you are used to with Steam but give it time. Steam wasn't exactly a bustling community on day one, was it?

I too would love everything in one place. All my shows on one streaming app, all my games in one distribution platform, but hey, that's life.

Yeah I am willing to give Epic a shot, I actually installed their storefront day one.

What they need to do is make a program that links all your other apps to one program so you can just consolidate it all without having to navigate the other programs. Now there's a million-dollar idea :P

#12 Posted by rmpumper (415 posts) -

@sban83: Epic has no say in how expensive someone else's game has to be, you doofus, not to mention the fact that Metro is "cheaper" on Epic for 'Murica only.

#13 Edited by favar09 (5 posts) -

1 year of waiting for the game.