Metro 2033 - Thumbs Down

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ricardo41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ricardo41
Member since 2002 • 1046 Posts

Probably one of the worst games I've played this year. Yeah, sure it's atmospheric and immersive, but

all that immersion ends as soon as the shooting starts and you realize that you have to put round after round into an enemy

and he still won't go down.

Obviously, the Stalker developers didn't learn a thing about hit detection from Stalker.

If you're looking for a satisfying shooter, don't bother. If you like running around in tunnels, listening

to people's conversations, then you'll probably like this game.

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#2 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
I kinda agree with you, I didnt really like the game much, its atmosphere was good and so was the graphics, but the gameplay was poor. I gave up after it saved a check point right by an enermy car and I cant get past the part unless I start the whole level again. What is this 1997 ?
jobano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jobano
Member since 2003 • 5476 Posts

Play the game with Ranger mode on, boom all your problems are solved. Takes about 2-3 rounds to kill anyone. For me it made the gunplay incredibly satisfying, because the ballistics models are actually very very strong. I was also frustrated at pea-shooter mode but the Ranger DLC (which is free) solves all problems.

jobano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jobano
Member since 2003 • 5476 Posts

I kinda agree with you, I didnt really like the game much, its atmosphere was good and so was the graphics, but the gameplay was poor. I gave up after it saved a check point right by an enermy car and I cant get past the part unless I start the whole level again. What is this 1997 ?Chris_53

If you're stuck, lower the difficulty in-game to Easy until you're past whatever ails you then crank it back up to whatever you wish. The effect is instant. I used it late in the game when I was too lazy to go through a section with exploding blobs that come out of the ground ooze around and 1 shot you on Ranger Hardcore mode.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

I was disappointed with the game also, but with other things rather than the hit points of the enemies. There are some clunky things with it specially with stealth.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
One of the best games of 2010, so two thumbs up.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
I personally loved it.
Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts

It's an excellent game for hardcore gamers, but this generation is the generation of casuals. If we consider video games an art form, then Metro 2033 is a great work of art.

AR-15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AR-15
Member since 2003 • 261 Posts

but all that immersion ends as soon as the shooting starts and you realize that you have to put round after round into an enemy

Ricardo41

I was playing the game a few hours ago and I swear I shot a guy point blank 7 or 8 times with my shotgun, ran out of ammo, and then had to switch to my assault rifle to finish him.

Beyond ridiculous.

Sleepyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sleepyz
Member since 2003 • 3805 Posts

Think I played that game for like an hour and never touch it again but might give it another shot with lower difficulty.

MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 MythPro1
Member since 2003 • 2746 Posts
Ending was terrible, and the gunplay felt extremely sluggish.
Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
I agree with OP on 1 part: I played it on easy to experience the story and setting and even on easy mode enemies took almost a entire clip to die.
Croag821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Croag821
Member since 2009 • 2331 Posts
I agree with OP on 1 part: I played it on easy to experience the story and setting and even on easy mode enemies took almost a entire clip to die. IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
I honestly am confused, I also played on easy and it would take a couple of shots to down people, head shots where instant kills. As for the guy saying he unloaded 8 point blank shots into someone and he didn't die I'm calling BS. Personally I found the gunplay to be the best part, I could feel the wait of the game and the power of the guns.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

The gunplay was a bit off and the stealth is a definite gripe with every person that has played it. But none of them are enough to make me want to not play it. I thought it had a great world and great immersion. With tonnes of people in the tunnels really made it feel alive and populated. And it had some cool spooky elements too that I loved. One of the best games i've played (in my opinion of course). Its kind of a marmite of gaming

Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#15 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts

I sometimes think that its made on purpose (the shooting part) whenever they don't know how to make the game harder..

Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
[QUOTE="IxX3xil3d0n3XxI"]I agree with OP on 1 part: I played it on easy to experience the story and setting and even on easy mode enemies took almost a entire clip to die. Croag821
I honestly am confused, I also played on easy and it would take a couple of shots to down people, head shots where instant kills. As for the guy saying he unloaded 8 point blank shots into someone and he didn't die I'm calling BS. Personally I found the gunplay to be the best part, I could feel the wait of the game and the power of the guns.

Maybe cause I never used the ammo that was currency? All I know is i vividly remember complaining to my gf that this is easy and I have to fire entire clips to kill them. And im not using Librarians as a example xD
Freak2121GTAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Freak2121GTAF
Member since 2008 • 697 Posts

I personally loved it, it has become one of my favorite games.

enorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 enorox
Member since 2006 • 252 Posts

To me it's more of a game to play for the story and atmosphere so if there was an option for god mode I would have used that instead. Probably shoulda been a movie lolol

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#19 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

[QUOTE="Ricardo41"]

but all that immersion ends as soon as the shooting starts and you realize that you have to put round after round into an enemy

AR-15

I was playing the game a few hours ago and I swear I shot a guy point blank 7 or 8 times with my shotgun, ran out of ammo, and then had to switch to my assault rifle to finish him.

Beyond ridiculous.

Well you were obviously missing or something. A point blank shotgun shot kills someone in one or two hits. And I don't really get why people were complaining so much about how many shots it took to kill people, just get headshots and unless they have a helmet on they die.

Ricardo41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ricardo41
Member since 2002 • 1046 Posts

[QUOTE="AR-15"]

[QUOTE="Ricardo41"]

cain006

Beyond ridiculous.

Well you were obviously missing or something. A point blank shotgun shot kills someone in one or two hits. And I don't really get why people were complaining so much about how many shots it took to kill people, just get headshots and unless they have a helmet on they die.

The idea that I can only kill enemies via headshots, everything else, I gotta pump round after round into the guy, is absurd. This is just lazy and sloppy game design. If i blast your torso with two shots, you're gonna go down.

Also, the guns feel like toy guns, have no heft to them, and sound like something you could pick up at walmart's.

Even if the gun is self built, it's not gonna pop off sounding like a kid's toy.

slimjimbadboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 slimjimbadboy
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts

IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Off topic, what is the name of that movie you got the picture for your sig?

edit: oops forgot on topic, I actually enjoyed the game. I doubt I had to put 8 bullets into most if anything I shot at, I mean this isn't Oblivion of FPS's here lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

i agree, I like the stalker games, but hated this one, dont get the hype it gets

Amigro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 Amigro
Member since 2003 • 737 Posts

A couple of things you may want to consider is that the majority of the ammo you use is weak and underpowered because of the postapocalyptic times. The true ammo, which is also the game's currency, is where it is at. The ball bearing shooter (forget the name) has to be pumped repeatedly to be effective as well. I did not get the feeling that the game was any worse than most of the games out there today as far as how many bullets it took to kill people.

I know your frustration though. I got the same feeling from Fallout 3, when towards the end of the game, I could unload hundreds of mini-gun rounds into a character and still not kill him (hundreds may be an exaggeration, but it was a fton).

If you want a 1 or 2 torso shot to kill the player then you may want to consider some type of tactical shooter.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Probably one of the worst games I've played this year. Yeah, sure it's atmospheric and immersive, but

all that immersion ends as soon as the shooting starts and you realize that you have to put round after round into an enemy

Obviously, the Stalker developers didn't learn a thing about hit detection from Stalker.

If you're looking for a satisfying shooter, don't bother. If you like running around in tunnels, listening

to people's conversations, then you'll probably like this game.

Ricardo41

i personally think it is a really good game and i didnt have any collision problems, the atmosphere and levels are awesome not to mention graphics

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts
I still don't get what's so hard to take down stuff in this game, perhaps you guys were using the post-apoc ammo and don't realise you have to use the real high quality ammo? It didn't have the greatest gun play in the gaming world, thats for sure but when I played it, it wasn't a problem for me, at all.
slabber44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 slabber44
Member since 2004 • 985 Posts

[QUOTE="cain006"]

[QUOTE="AR-15"]

Beyond ridiculous.

Ricardo41

The idea that I can only kill enemies via headshots, everything else, I gotta pump round after round into the guy, is absurd. This is just lazy and sloppy game design. If i blast your torso with two shots, you're gonna go down.

Also, the guns feel like toy guns, have no heft to them, and sound like something you could pick up at walmart's.

Even if the gun is self built, it's not gonna pop off sounding like a kid's toy.

So I guess you dislike BFBC2 and CoD and etc.... There are not to many games out that you kill with just a couple shots to the torso. Being a little picky IMO.
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

The only thing this game has going for it, is it's graphics. When i hear "Metro 2033" the last thing that comes to my mind is it's gameplay.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#28 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I disagree. It's a thumbs up. Almost a thumbs "way up" if it werent for some of its obvious flaws like ballistics, bad stealth segments, poor hit detection, and a bad currency system. I have faith that these have been looked at and fixed for the sequel. For atmosphere and immersion, it takes the cake, and in this case, the cake is no lie.
Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

hmm thats weird i remember i killed everything that i came across pretty fast and efficiently. maybe you were using some weak weapon? the pressurize sniper rifle put alot of monsters and people with 1 or 2 shot! shotgun to the face/up-close, say goodbye to enemy turso! crossbow also one hit kills! did we play the same game?

I'm guessing maybe you're complaining about killing one of the flying demons? if so, they're suppose to have insane maximum health, as in the story it is said it takes alot to take those down. i personally killed quite a few in the game. hell theres an achivement if you manage to kill 2 of them during a whole play-through which is a testament of what i am saying.

the "librarian" creatures also take alot of damage i mean look at them they're huge and creepy! but i was able to down any that i startled, even the black more furious ones! btw i beat this on the hardest of modes also, i got all the achievements for it on steam before anyone says i must have only played it on normal.

i personally loved metro 2033 and i cant wait for the next one!

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#30 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
Not being able to save where I wanted was the biggest disappointment. When you die you wind up repeating a lot of what you already did, which is very lame for a modern-day game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Not being able to save where I wanted was the biggest disappointment. When you die you wind up repeating a lot of what you already did, which is very lame for a modern-day game.topsemag55

YESSSS !!! I hated that there was no F5 quicksave or anything like that :( I used to get really far in a stealth section and do really well and then suddenly get spotted and have to repeat the whole thing.

Talking about the sequel, I hate the clip they showed of gameplay for 1 reason and that was the minigun he used. It was going great. Great atmosphere like 2033 and the stealth seemed improved and then suddenly he went all master chief or something on them. It just didn't feel right

AR-15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AR-15

As for the guy saying he unloaded 8 point blank shots into someone and he didn't die I'm calling BS.Croag821

I don't care what you are calling, what I said was 100% true. I shot him multiple times at point blank range directly in his chest, he then turned and started to run away (wtf?) and I continued to dump rounds into him until I ran the shotgun empty, switched to my assault rifle and finished him off with that. It was a massive waste of ammo. :roll:

I didn't say that every person in the game did this, but one of them did, and it was both frustrating and lame because I almost died and would have had to go back and play through a lot of the level again to get back to where it happened.

In general, though, the enemies in Metro 2033 do take way too much damage before dying, and I hope it gets fixed in the next game, because I am enjoying this one (despite it's flaws).

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

[QUOTE="Croag821"] As for the guy saying he unloaded 8 point blank shots into someone and he didn't die I'm calling BS.AR-15

I don't care what you are calling, what I said was 100% true. I shot him multiple times at point blank range directly in his chest, he then turned and started to run away (wtf?) and I continued to dump rounds into him until I ran the shotgun empty, switched to my assault rifle and finished him off with that. It was a massive waste of ammo. :roll:

I didn't say that every person in the game did this, but one of them did, and it was both frustrating and lame because I almost died and would have had to go back and play through a lot of the level again to get back to where it happened.

In general, though, the enemies in Metro 2033 do take way too much damage before dying, and I hope it gets fixed in the next game, because I am enjoying this one (despite it's flaws).

never ran into such issue unless i was going up against a demon or librarian. very very weird.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#35 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]Not being able to save where I wanted was the biggest disappointment. When you die you wind up repeating a lot of what you already did, which is very lame for a modern-day game.seanmcloughlin

YESSSS !!! I hated that there was no F5 quicksave or anything like that :( I used to get really far in a stealth section and do really well and then suddenly get spotted and have to repeat the whole thing.

Talking about the sequel, I hate the clip they showed of gameplay for 1 reason and that was the minigun he used. It was going great. Great atmosphere like 2033 and the stealth seemed improved and then suddenly he went all master chief or something on them. It just didn't feel right

The theme music and the mini-gun had me a bit worried. In a way, it just screams modern-day fps clone. I hope they stay true to Metro. I must agree, the stealth part was pretty badass until he started curb-stomping everyone with his mini-gun. :P

Armored_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Armored_
Member since 2010 • 186 Posts

[QUOTE="Croag821"] As for the guy saying he unloaded 8 point blank shots into someone and he didn't die I'm calling BS.AR-15

very strange..ive played the game like,twice? and I've never really come across anything like this. Enemies seemed to die reasonably fast, and whenever I thought they were eating a bit too much I switched to the currency ammo to really give them what for. I agree with Rage010101..except a demon or a Librarian, everything else pretty much gets mowed down easy. And finishing off a shotgun at PB seems incredible unless there was a bug that caused you to miss or lag or whatever.Surely the damage engine will have been the same for everyone.
AR-15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AR-15

It is interesting to hear some people say they had no issues with hit detection/damage, and to hear others (like myself) say that it was a big issue for them.

Not really sure what to make of that, other than to say that a quick search for reviews shows that it was/is an issue for many people.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58159 Posts

yeah they shooting mechanics were downright awful; super resistant enemies, and not enough ammo. Everything else was great, and I'd like to say those other aspects could make it a great game, but since its a shooter and the shooting parts were not that good, it is average at best.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2445 Posts
Best FPS I've played in a long time. Tons of atmosphere, lots of "Oh sh*t!" moments. Didn't have any problems killing stuff.
Armored_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Armored_
Member since 2010 • 186 Posts

Best FPS I've played in a long time. Tons of atmosphere, lots of "Oh sh*t!" moments. Didn't have any problems killing stuff.attirex
Loved the gas mask :D

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

The theme music and the mini-gun had me a bit worried. In a way, it just screams modern-day fps clone. I hope they stay true to Metro. I must agree, the stealth part was pretty badass until he started curb-stomping everyone with his mini-gun. :P

Elann2008

It's obvious that's just for that section. Remember how ammo is so f***ing difficult to find even if you do explore? I'm betting that was just one of those scenes where they break away from the norm a bit. I'm fine with sections like that, just don't make it totally intrude on the game or give us additional ammo for it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

ChubbyGuy40

It's obvious that's just for that section. Remember how ammo is so f***ing difficult to find even if you do explore? I'm betting that was just one of those scenes where they break away from the norm a bit. I'm fine with sections like that, just don't make it totally intrude on the game or give us additional ammo for it.

I hope so. After all they did have that flamethrower section in the first one :P

firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 firefluff3
Member since 2010 • 2073 Posts

They did admit their gunplay wasn't too good in metro 2033, its just opinions.

saruman354

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 saruman354
Member since 2004 • 10776 Posts

Metro 2033 is literally one of my favorite games of all time. Not even lying. I've played through it three or four times since I got it. Most underrated game of 2010 in my opinion. As if you couldn't tell from my sig.

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
I loved the gameplay, I really did.
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
Hmm I found the shooting to be very satisfying.
jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jack00
Member since 2006 • 4265 Posts
If you didn't appreciate Metro 2033 then it's probably because you don't know **** about what makes a good FPS. Go back to CoD kid.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I never one tried using the currency ammo, i always ued the basic bulelts, killed most enemies in a few rounds (except librarians), and ended up with thousands of rounds for each weapon I had. I used the auto shotgun with bayont, a stock AK 47, and the magnum with scope and stock.

AR-15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 AR-15

Well, I've been playing the game quite a bit lately, and I have noticed two things.

First, I have found that killing things in the later levels takes fewer rounds than it did in the earlier levels, and the second thing I have found is that the game appears to actually be getting better graphically as I play it. The lighting and atmosphere during some of these later levels is pretty awesome.

I'm playing the game on a 5870 Vapor-X/Phenom 945 combo and I'm usually between 55 and 70 FPS on "Very High" DX11 @ 1920x1080 (with DOF off, and a few other config tweaks).