Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance = Worst Port Ever

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

I don't really expect any replies considering I doubt anyone played this for the PC. But for those who did, I have one question.

How the **** did you manage to map the controls? First thing I read was that the keyboard controls were unplayable. I didn't doubt this so I busted out my Xbox 360 controller. But now that I've done that, I honestly can't figure out these controls.

What a nightmare. You might be thinking "It can't be that hard, you should just bind the controls for your controller as if it was a PS2 Controller". Well, it turns out that there are 2 extra controls you apparently need. So even if I wanted to play with my PS2 Controller hooked up via USB (which I could do), I'd need 2 extra buttons. Not only that, but you can't "unbind" anything. That's right. You have to have atleast one button assigned to nearly all of the controls - even if you don't need them.

Seriously, even in RE4 you could atleast get the controls working properly.

alkevinethan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 alkevinethan
Member since 2007 • 42 Posts
Its been forever since I played that i remember just using the keyboard because I could'nt get my controller to work either
gotcha455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gotcha455
Member since 2006 • 2611 Posts

A PS2 is $100 ish and a copy of MGS2 is $4 at ebgames. Much better way to play. I got the game as my first PS2 game in 2001, and it was the most breathtaking visual display I've seen at that time, just recently Crysis did something similar.

Awesome game. 10/10 for me.

Never Tried the PC port......

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts
Good Lord, that looks horrible. I don't even know what half those things mean. I was actually looking at checking out the MGS ports for PC someday in the future since I liked MGS1 on Playstation, but... This has seriously got me reconsidering.
Ps2stony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ps2stony
Member since 2006 • 1888 Posts
Yeah I was screwed just like you. It turns out you have to go to a nearby bargain shack and trade the game with 60$ for a PS2 and a copy of the game. Worked fine for me after that.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GodLovesDead

A PS2 is $100 ish and a copy of MGS2 is $4 at ebgames. Much better way to play. I got the game as my first PS2 game in 2001, and it was the most breathtaking visual display I've seen at that time, just recently Crysis did something similar.

Awesome game. 10/10 for me.

Never Tried the PC port......

gotcha455

I grew up with Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2 so I picked this up so my little brother could experience it too. He only played Snake Eater (and he played it to death). The problem with getting it for our PS2 is that our last controller for it broke and it seems the PS2 looks terrible on our new HDTV. I might just have to bite the bullet and do it anyways.

Judza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Judza
Member since 2004 • 4637 Posts

Meh, I still play it with the majority of those controls.

It takes a helluva long time to get used to them (at least a week), but it can be done.

PS. The reason you have two extra buttons is because of the "Slow" command and the "Weak" command. On the PS2, you can push the thumbsticks a smaller amount, and you go slower. The weak command is an attempt to adjust for the PS2's pressure sensitive buttons. If you only depress the buttons (like the weapon button) with a small amount of pressure, you get different actions. Hence for the Port, you need the Weak and Slow commands to compensate.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GodLovesDead

Meh, I still play it with the majority of those controls.

It takes a helluva long time to get used to them (at least a week), but it can be done.

PS. The reason you have two extra buttons is because of the "Slow" command and the "Weak" command. On the PS2, you can push the thumbsticks a smaller amount, and you go slower. The weak command is an attempt to adjust for the PS2's pressure sensitive buttons. If you only depress the buttons (like the weapon button) with a small amount of pressure, you get different actions. Hence for the Port, you need the Weak and Slow commands to compensate.

Judza

Yea, that makes sense. I remember having pressure sensitive controls. Is there any buttons you don't use in the game that I could bind them to (like L3 and R3)?

AlmostUndead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AlmostUndead
Member since 2006 • 1673 Posts
Is my keyboard capable of those keys?
Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts
I finished it with a gamepad without any problems, but I also managed to set the keyboard controls perfectly. It's not hard if you concentrate