Medieval Total War 2 question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

deniiiii21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deniiiii21
Member since 2007 • 1261 Posts
I have Rome Total War and its expansion Barbarian Invasion, I am wondering if its worth the buy. Also does it add a lot of new things new buildings and armies. I hope its not as difficult as Barbarian Invasion that game was hell hard.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
You should try the demo.
deniiiii21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deniiiii21
Member since 2007 • 1261 Posts
Well I know the demo is you can probably just fight a battle I am sure the graphics are nice, I just wanted to know if the campaing was a lot deeper than in Rome?
FrozeN__54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FrozeN__54
Member since 2005 • 3434 Posts
It's exactly the same.. I think :P
A-S_FM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 A-S_FM
Member since 2004 • 2208 Posts

medieval 2 is to rome as medieval 1 was to shogun

it doesn't add much - but if you're a fan of the total war series, or the medieval setting appeals more than the roman one, you have every reason to get it

if not, there's little real incentive to buy medieval 2 when you already own rome, though M2 is getting an expansion soonish that adds five new campaigns, so it'll be well worth picking up when that's on the shelves

medieval 2 isn't as challenging as any of the rome expansions, though - expansions generally work on the idea that you already finished the original game, and are looking for a greater challenge - so the learning curve is ramped right up... this rule doesn't apply to sequels 

total war went revolution / evolution / revolution / evolution so far - so the next total war after M2 should be utterly crazy awesome again, if they stick to their current pattern, andyou'd be better off waiting for that

personally, i couldn't ever imagine not owning medieval 2, but then again rome is the only total war game i skipped 

ferret837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 ferret837
Member since 2004 • 1942 Posts
Well I know the demo is you can probably just fight a battle I am sure the graphics are nice, I just wanted to know if the campaing was a lot deeper than in Rome? deniiiii21
ya there are now like 5 diffrent factions that you can play as for the campaing and the only old races are rome, england, and france. Its a great game and is much better than rome total war if u can support it
mat2d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mat2d2
Member since 2007 • 27 Posts
It really dependson how much ypou liked the Rome total war game. The campaing is similar except religion plays more of a bigger part and when creating units you can create a few in each round unlike Rome where you could only create one unit per town.

The battle system is very similar execpt with new units. Cannons and hand guns don't do nearly as much damage as they should which is a pity. The ai can be hairy at times. The computer sometimes just stands around as a hailofarrows fly downon themwhich isa little silly, The lateset patches may have fix this,i've not checked.

Bottom line if you enjoyed Rome and want to play something similar get M2
briggsxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 briggsxxx
Member since 2006 • 244 Posts

MW2 is better I think. Rome TW wasnt all that great...although I did like the music for Rome tw that woman has a great voice.

all of the tw games have had some problems to some extent. MW2 is the best so far but still isnt that great. 

briggsxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 briggsxxx
Member since 2006 • 244 Posts

I have Rome Total War and its expansion Barbarian Invasion, I am wondering if its worth the buy. Also does it add a lot of new things new buildings and armies. I hope its not as difficult as Barbarian Invasion that game was hell hard.deniiiii21

its not hard at all , none of the tw games wer hard really...If you get MW2, do this - dont do any of the Popes missions.

if you dont do them for a certain number of times , he will call a crusade on you, wich is actually FUN and remember Ballista's are

your best friend...Cannons are worthless as is mortars..Trebuche's are fairly decent for medium to long range and have lots of ammo....never rush the enemy-you dont have too ,sit back with your ballista's and treb's and wipe out half of the enemy's army with no problem and the stupid enemy Ai will just sit there -- the patch may have fixed that though.. And as in the the other tw games you always have towns that will revolt no matter what , you can time it when you figure out wich ones they are..takes about 10 turns for them to revolt , when they are rdy to revolt -- move your army out and away from the city... after they revolt simply attack again and wipem out..cities that revolt alot ,put them on Auto manage , there are only a few that do it on a regular basis.

another thing you can do is--the cities that revolt alot,, give those cities to your best ally or enemy , they will constantly loose there army to the revolting city..after they loose there army , its 10 times easier to fight the rebels than a regular nations army-hint hint.

politics in the game is slack as always. keep and eye on nations that you have a high rating with and help them from time to time to beat your enemy.... but do it in the way of giving gifts that way you dont get penilised for helping rouge nations.

Â