the good

• Breathtaking worlds to discover and exploreFun,
  • frenzied combat with plenty of powers to choose fromNarrative
  • framing creates stakes for your success

the bad

• Dull, wooden characters and dialogue
  • Too many fetch quests, not enough major decisions
  • Minor but pervasive technical issues

Eurogamer said "The combat crackles and the worlds are lush, but mediocre writing and tepid quests add up to what is probably BioWare's worst RPG yet."

PC gamer's score of 8 based on "It's not perfect. It's not consistent. But for a story about vast journeys and fresh starts, it also feels a little like coming home."

#2 Edited by Howmakewood (4723 posts) -

the EA days haven't been kind to Bioware, which at time were one of my favorite developers

#3 Posted by SerOlmy (2348 posts) -

Maybe I'll pick it up cheap next XMas if I end up getting a Xbox Scorpio. Hella disappointing TBO, I was a huge Mass Effect fan since the first one was released nearly 10 years ago

#4 Posted by thehig1 (6213 posts) -

I still think it looks really good after playing the EA access trail, I'm counting down the hours.

#5 Posted by hillelslovak (12935 posts) -

Bioware was my undisputed favorite developer every since I got a copy of KOTOR for christmas. KOTOR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, and DAO were superb. But then ME2 dropped, and I was kind of pissed at the lack of freedom from the first game, opting for a more linear experience. I still loved the games, but started to see them go down the EA road and put lots of unwarranted dlc and season passes in it. This was a warning sign, but then DA2 dropped, and I knew the corruption began. I knew it would be a slide downhill, and it has been for the last 6-7 years.

#6 Edited by BassMan (7599 posts) -

Everyone loves to hate on EA, but I don't believe they are at fault other than releasing Andromeda without extensive QA and polish. Any faults with the design of the game, missions, story, characters, etc., rest on BioWare's shoulders. BioWare always got to operate with a lot of freedom. EA was the primary publisher on all of the Dragon Age and Mass Effect games except the first ME game. EA also spent a crazy amount of money so that BioWare Austin could create the Star Wars MMO. They have been very supportive of BioWare.

#7 Posted by attirex (1267 posts) -

Think I'll wait for Cyberpunk 2077. It will prob make Andromeda look like Space Invaders.

#8 Edited by KHAndAnime (17565 posts) -

Thought it looked bad, suspicions confirmed. Also, I heard the lead gameplay designer on the project wasn't a bright person. Not surprised he's bad at his job.

#9 Edited by bigfootpart2 (296 posts) -

I cancelled my preorder. No way I was going to pay anything close to full price for this turd.

Bioware in its original form hasn't really existed for a long time, and the Mass Effect franchise may as well be dead. Mass Effect 1 and 2 were amazing, but that was a long time ago. This looks horrible. It looks like some low budget bargain bin spin-off done by an amateur developer.

#10 Posted by hillelslovak (12935 posts) -

@bigfootpart2 said:

I cancelled my preorder. No way I was going to pay anything close to full price for this turd.

Bioware in its original form hasn't really existed for a long time, and the Mass Effect franchise may as well be dead. Mass Effect 1 and 2 were amazing, but that was a long time ago. This looks horrible. It looks like some low budget bargain bin spin-off done by an amateur developer.

My question is, how do your facial animations look worse than the original Mass Effect?

#11 Posted by thereal25 (1379 posts) -

Who else finds the characters less appealing?

#12 Edited by PredatorRules (11994 posts) -

It should be a nice game overall -7/10, it's not a bad game but it's nothing special neither - lets call it a low end AAA title quality.

Side dashing is a nice feature that should come in handy for those seeking close combat, sniper will enjoy too since I think you can fly high with your jump jets and then snipe from above.

#13 Posted by bonafidetk (3911 posts) -

I'm definitely waiting for this to hit the bargain bin on Origin. Probably won't take long either considering the reviewers are hammering it.

#14 Posted by hillelslovak (12935 posts) -

@bonafidetk said:

I'm definitely waiting for this to hit the bargain bin on Origin. Probably won't take long either considering the reviewers are hammering it.

Doubtful go on Origin. The BF1 pass is still the price of a full AAA game. They take a long time to price drops unless the game gets murked with reviews. MEA got hammered for a Mass Effect game, given the quality. 7's probably dont count as getting hammered. Remember, EA Game's company motto is in fact "Consumers? **** off!!"

#15 Posted by BassMan (7599 posts) -

This game will still sell well. There are a lot of ME fans and this game really isn't that bad. There is still a lot of what made the original trilogy great in it. I recommend it to any ME fan.

#16 Posted by FelipeInside (28519 posts) -

Apart from the animations which I have no idea how that happened (rumours are the Frostbite Engine is used for backgrounds but animations are from another source), the game just has too much to live up to and the hype was extreme.

Still, like BassMan says and I've heard quite a few others that have played it say, game is good and has some epic Mass Effect type moments.

Looking forward to release date.

#17 Posted by the_bi99man (11244 posts) -

@bonafidetk said:

Hahahahahahahaha. Oh wait, do you seriously think that EA will drop the price on a major game because of reviews?

#18 Edited by thereal25 (1379 posts) -

@bonafidetk said:

Wait, Origin have bargain bins?

#19 Edited by SerOlmy (2348 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

Apart from the animations which I have no idea how that happened (rumours are the Frostbite Engine is used for backgrounds but animations are from another source),

^Emphasis mine.

That makes it even less excusable IMO. If they are using a different system for animations, there are tons of systems available that do it much, much better that they could have licensed. Hell, I would even say that the system they use in Dreamfall Chapters is superior and that is an indie/crowdfunded game with nowhere near the momentary backing of ME:A.

#20 Edited by bigfootpart2 (296 posts) -

@the_bi99man said:
@bonafidetk said:

Hahahahahahahaha. Oh wait, do you seriously think that EA will drop the price on a major game because of reviews?

It's all going to depend on how well it sells. Bad reviews and bad word of mouth don't always translate to poor sales. To use a recent example, just look at The Division. Terrible game with bad reviews and lots of people saying it was crappy, but it broke sales records. And on the flip side Titanfall 2 had amazing reviews and was a great game, but sold poorly because it was released at a bad time against too much competition, and EA dropped the price of it very quickly.

#21 Posted by with_teeth26 (8341 posts) -

@the_bi99man said:
@bonafidetk said:

no, but I suspect it will drop in price quickly on key reseller sites. I think Green Man Gaming is already offering 20% off on it

#22 Posted by Advid-Gamer (4844 posts) -

@bigfootpart2 said:
@the_bi99man said:
@bonafidetk said:

It's all going to depend on how well it sells. Bad reviews and bad word of mouth don't always translate to poor sales. To use a recent example, just look at The Division. Terrible game with bad reviews and lots of people saying it was crappy, but it broke sales records. And on the flip side Titanfall 2 had amazing reviews and was a great game, but sold poorly because it was released at a bad time against too much competition, and EA dropped the price of it very quickly.

This game is getting hammered by everyone on the net, its a joke, its going to hurt sales no doubt. Im a huge masseffect fan, and Im not sure if Im even going to get this when its in the bargin bin. I may as well replay the old ME

#23 Posted by FelipeInside (28519 posts) -

@SerOlmy said:
@FelipeInside said:

Apart from the animations which I have no idea how that happened (rumours are the Frostbite Engine is used for backgrounds but animations are from another source),

^Emphasis mine.

That makes it even less excusable IMO. If they are using a different system for animations, there are tons of systems available that do it much, much better that they could have licensed. Hell, I would even say that the system they use in Dreamfall Chapters is superior and that is an indie/crowdfunded game with nowhere near the momentary backing of ME:A.

That's just a rumour I read somewhere, no idea if true or not. I didn't even know you could combine engines like that so could be a total bogus rumour.

It's a shame though because people that don't jump on the "bash-bandwagon" have said that tht combat is actually good and although the story isn't as good as ME2, it's still pretty epic and interesting.

I'll play it anyway cause I love the ME universe, I'll just ignore the animation problem that hopefully can be fixed in the future.

#24 Posted by with_teeth26 (8341 posts) -

@Advid-Gamer said:
@bigfootpart2 said:
@the_bi99man said:
@bonafidetk said:

This game is getting hammered by everyone on the net, its a joke, its going to hurt sales no doubt. Im a huge masseffect fan, and Im not sure if Im even going to get this when its in the bargin bin. I may as well replay the old ME

A lot of ME fans seem to be enjoying it (including myself). I can understand not wanting to get it right away, but I think it is worth at least trying, even if its just the 10 hour Origin Access trial.

maybe give it a couple months for the internet drama to die down, and for some patches to come out. As a ME fan, I think this is better than nothing. It feels like a Mass Effect game, even if a lot of the individual elements are not up to the standard of the original series. If you go in with tempered expectations and a open mind, there is still a lot to like about it.

#25 Edited by SerOlmy (2348 posts) -

@FelipeInside:

I agree, the combat is fine IMO. But that is not why I play Mass Effect games. I saw someone in MP do some truly amazing things with an infiltrator class when the other 3 of us were dead, he managed to clean up 4 normals, 2 lieutenants and a captain on his own. Granted it took him 15 minutes, but he was really amazing to watch. If they had put half as much effort into the writing/pacing/characters/voice acting as they did into the combat/busy-work/exploration it would have been a much better game.

But, IMO they focused on all the wrong elements. I pretty much knew after finishing the trial it was going to be mediocre at best when I had more fun playing a couple hours of the multiplayer than I did playing the entire spingleplayer portion.

#26 Posted by Mickeyminime (1379 posts) -

I was going to wait a year for mine. As this ME had no Shepard, i couldn't see it being as good. I'll certainly get it in the future though, shame that its not got a lot of top notch reviews D:

#27 Posted by osan0 (14956 posts) -

dissapointing reviews but hopefully some of the issues can be cleared up with patches. i wont be getting it for a few months anyway so hopefully its in good kick by then.

i love the idea of it and the mako is back. (yes i liked the mako in ME1).

#28 Edited by Toxic-Seahorse (4996 posts) -

@with_teeth26 said:
@the_bi99man said:
@bonafidetk said:

no, but I suspect it will drop in price quickly on key reseller sites. I think Green Man Gaming is already offering 20% off on it

Yeah but green man gaming offers 20% off on pretty much everything. It's pretty common to see if on newly released games as well.

#29 Posted by Vaidream45 (915 posts) -

EA crushes all of my favorite game developers......

#30 Posted by Myron117 (1386 posts) -

@attirex: After what CDPR did with TW1-3 i cant wait for CyberPunk 2077.

I only bought TW3 this year so my wait isn't as long your others, but still, anticipation is killing me

#31 Edited by Quicksilver128 (7075 posts) -

@hillelslovak: To answer your question? Bioware focused on diversity hires. They felt the need to be a more inclusive as a company.

...now enjoy your wooden facial expressions from 2006.

#32 Edited by BassMan (7599 posts) -

I just watched the movie Passengers last night and couldn't help but notice how similar it is to Mass Effect Andromeda. I thought the main character was waking up on Ark Hyperion on his way to Habitat 7. LOL

Anyway, good movie. You guys should check it out.

#33 Edited by FelipeInside (28519 posts) -

@BassMan said:

I just watched the movie Passengers last night and couldn't help but notice how similar it is to Mass Effect Andromeda. I thought the main character was waking up on Ark Hyperion on his way to Habitat 7. LOL

Anyway, good movie. You guys should check it out.

Yeah very under-rated movie. Great flick.

#34 Posted by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

The game is good. Nowhere near a 6/10 worthy. After playing over 20h, the only thing that screams 6/10 (or even below) is the writing/dialogue. Its also plagued with bugs but gameplay itself (exploration, gunplay, crafting etc), its not only better than the other three, its much better than what's present in the trilogy. Nowhere near the end of the game but for now it feels like a solid 8/10 tps rpg. Hell, i'm enjoying it more than i enjoyed ME3...

#35 Posted by pyro1245 (3287 posts) -

@vaidream45 said:

EA crushes all of my favorite game developers......

So it goes......