Mass Effect 2 or Football Manager 2011

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FowFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 FowFTW
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

I know this may seem a strange question to most people as these are two completely different games from two separate genres but I want one of these for Christmas and I want it to last me around 6 months. Nothing more I can really say here so just add which game you would recommend a small reason for it and it would be a huge help for me. I have looked at the game-spot reviews but these are two completely different games as I said so they weren't too much help!

Thanks!

Artie-Fufkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Artie-Fufkin
Member since 2007 • 32 Posts
Mass Effect 2 is an amazing game, one of the best ever. I won't list why it's so good but it is amazing. Will it last you 6 months? Doubtful. Have you played Mass Effect 1? That's a must have if you want the full Mass Effect experience. They are going to progressively release DLC to fill in the story between ME 2 and ME 3 but they will probably only be 2 hour things. You can replay the game (probably best to replay with ME 1 as well) but 6 months is still a stretch. Football Manager 2011, well, do you like soccer? I like soccer, but I don't love it yet I still have been hooked on this game in the past. I haven't played it much in recent years (I own FM 2011 but haven't played it yet). I reckon most games would struggle to last 6 months but FM could go close. If I had the option of both, and I'd played ME1, then I'd go for ME 2. If I loved soccer then I'd go for Football Manager 2011, especially if I wanted it to entertain me for 6 months. I'm guessing you don't get many video games then?
Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Animatronic64
Member since 2010 • 3971 Posts

Get Mass Effect 2 now, get that other crap later.

DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts

This question:

travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

Get Mass Effect 2, it's a great game.

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

Have you played Mass Effect 1 ? If not, then get that one first. You don't start watching Lord of The Rings at Two Towers, or Star Wars at Return of the Jedi

rronqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rronqe
Member since 2007 • 207 Posts
If you like and you know something about football, then get the Manager. It will last you more than 6 months, a year maybe!
sakshamH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sakshamH
Member since 2010 • 352 Posts

I know this may seem a strange question to most people as these are two completely different games from two separate genres but I want one of these for Christmas and I want it to last me around 6 months. Nothing more I can really say here so just add which game you would recommend a small reason for it and it would be a huge help for me. I have looked at the game-spot reviews but these are two completely different games as I said so they weren't too much help!

Thanks!

FowFTW
Fm 2011. Will last a lot. But, ME2 is obviously the superior game, and vastly superior!
scotty992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 scotty992
Member since 2005 • 2388 Posts
FM 2011 will last you a very long time but if your more of a gaming than into football get Mass Effect 2 its a must play for gamers really.
Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

Mass Effect 2 is the better game but won't last you 6 months.

Football Manager 2011 will last longer.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b76bd048860
deactivated-64b76bd048860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 deactivated-64b76bd048860
Member since 2007 • 4363 Posts
FM 2011 will last a long time, but ME2 Is definitely a must play.
FowFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FowFTW

Thanks loads for the replies!

Yes this is a serious question and the reason it's 6 months is because Guild Wars 2 will be released approx around that time imo.

The question about me owning many video games- I have plenty but I prefer games which are great value for money with loads of content such as Elder Scrolls Oblivion which I do own.

From the way it looks so far, Mass Effect 2 is a much better game but Football manager will keep me playing for longer.

Does Mass Effect 2 have a decent replay value if so then I guess it will be this which I buy.

By the way, surely the developers of Mass Effect 2 would make it understandable for newbies to the series or else they'll miss out on many gamers who haven't bought the first one.

Keep the brilliant answers coming!

71m3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 71m3
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
There are side quests and searching planets can keep you playing for some time but me2 unlike oblivion is pretty much linear. You can replay the game few times with one character tho. Its a great game but i cant imagine it lasting for 6 months. If you need something with great replay value you should maybe try looking into different games such as new vegas if you havent played it yet. It has alot more content than ME2. Oh and i dont see why you wouldnt buy the first game, its probably alot cheaper and just as good, maybe even better since it definitely has a better replay value than me2.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f870bc7412da
deactivated-5f870bc7412da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5f870bc7412da
Member since 2004 • 299 Posts

Have you played Mass Effect 1 ? If not, then get that one first. You don't start watching Lord of The Rings at Two Towers, or Star Wars at Return of the Jedi

Darth_Kane
Personally I would have said at "The Empire Strikes Back" seeing as they are both second parts of a trilogy, but I'm pedantic like that! :-p
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Mass Effect 2.
Raxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Raxzor
Member since 2003 • 5399 Posts

Even tho I think this OT is not serious, but if he is ME2 all the way. ME2 is one of the games, that genuinly deserves the title epic. After you have finished it for the first time you know you have just played something special. And for the cost of FM2011 you could pick up ME 1 and 2!

FowFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FowFTW

Even tho I think this OT is not serious, but if he is ME2 all the way. ME2 is one of the games, that genuinly deserves the title epic. After you have finished it for the first time you know you have just played something special. And for the cost of FM2011 you could pick up ME 1 and 2!

Raxzor

Eh?

Darksonic666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#18 Darksonic666
Member since 2009 • 3482 Posts

Get mass effect 2 its one of the best games I have ever played.

FowFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FowFTW

Seriously why would this not be serious and how is it off topic?

Anyway, you've persuaded me to go with mass effect 2, I am into my football by I'll find the game too tedious after a while as I've done with fifa and pes in the past.

Could anyone tell me quickly what you can do differently when you go through the game second time round. Replay value is very important to me.

Thanks!

PewPewNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PewPewNinja
Member since 2010 • 137 Posts

Id say go with the Football game you will have a billion time more replay value. (if you like that kind of thing)

That said Mass Effect 2 is not bad, it's more in the average range, First the game is a cake walk to the end, ive done it at the hardest diff and the only place were it's a bit challenging is the first part in the mission "Ghost Ship" or something like that, The combat in general is boring/bad, RPG not really, 10h of speech with a bit of action here and there, Load,load,load..Yeah alots of load,(played it on my 360)Replay value is low two play trough and you saw everything (About 30h total). ME 2 Is a Good Rent if you have a 360. After that it Really depend on your favorite genre.

To be Honest i would recommend you to buy something else then those two game, Fallout will last you a while, Dragon Age got 50h of gameplay x2 (if you can pass the first hour), you could buy The Witcher 2 and wait a bit, Oh Or simply wait for the Steam Christmas Sale and buy Mass Effect there.

Buy Super Meat Boy will probably last you forever since you will get stuck at a certain point in the game.

SuperSaltySlug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SuperSaltySlug
Member since 2009 • 210 Posts
FM2011 will probbably last longer, those types of game usually do. I still play 2010 and I've had it for just under a year :)
PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

i haven't even played ME2 or Football Manager and im going to say ME2 :P

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

Id say go with the Football game you will have a billion time more replay value. (if you like that kind of thing)

That said Mass Effect 2 is not bad, it's more in the average range, First the game is a cake walk to the end, ive done it at the hardest diff and the only place were it's a bit challenging is the first part in the mission "Ghost Ship" or something like that, The combat in general is boring/bad, RPG not really, 10h of speech with a bit of action here and there, Load,load,load..Yeah alots of load,(played it on my 360)Replay value is low two play trough and you saw everything (About 30h total). ME 2 Is a Good Rent if you have a 360. After that it Really depend on your favorite genre.

To be Honest i would recommend you to buy something else then those two game, Fallout will last you a while, Dragon Age got 50h of gameplay x2 (if you can pass the first hour), you could buy The Witcher 2 and wait a bit, Oh Or simply wait for the Steam Christmas Sale and buy Mass Effect there.

Buy Super Meat Boy will probably last you forever since you will get stuck at a certain point in the game.

PewPewNinja

To be fair, the load times on the PC version are much faster than the 360 version.

FowFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FowFTW

Just completed the demo!

It's amazing!

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

Mass Effect 2 is the better game but won't last you 6 months.

broken_bass_bin

Maybe it could, if you take replayability into account.

The different cIasses for Shepard, gender/romance selection, DLCs that add new characters, not to mention choosing Paragon or Renegade.

With all of those options, I went through 20 playthroughs.:P